Swimming Coach recommendation

Lala81

Hi guys, any personal recommendation for swimming coach?
I stay in the North.

My P2 girl has been to 2 different swim schools, and she's basically been learning for almost 2 years but progress is very slow.  Her swimming form is still not really there. And she's hardly improving at all. She's not an easy person to coach sometimes, though her attitude has improved as she's gotten older. 
Want to make sure she doesn't need to go the swimming programme at P4.

My son just started this year and is also slower progress also. But he's 5, so not in a rush.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

19 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I stay in the North.

My P2 girl has been to 2 different swim schools, and she's basically been learning for almost 2 years but progress is very slow.  Her swimming form is still not really there. And she's hardly improving at all. She's not an easy person to coach sometimes, though her attitude has improved as she's gotten older. 

My son just started this year and is also slower progress also. But he's 5, so not in a rush.

Ascertain the level of her interest in swimming. 

I suspect she's not keen in swimming and probably just going thru motion during the lessons. 

I got a great coach but progress all must come from the kid.  

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Staff69 said:

Screenshot_20200924-153219_Chrome.thumb.jpg.40cefeb9511eecb1442367c2391db583.jpg

I tried. But bit difficult lah. Cos her technique is too many things wrong. I can't rectify since I don't do this on a regular basis. I can't break it down for her.

17 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Ascertain the level of her interest in swimming. 

I suspect she's not keen in swimming and probably just going thru motion during the lessons. 

I got a great coach but progress all must come from the kid.  

Swimming is a life skill. Even if they don't do NS. I would expect my kids to be comfortable and able to swim to safety in open water if there's a need.
If she can swim comfortably, I'm not going to progress further unless there's interest.

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

maybe she not interested, just treat it as letting her play water as long as she manage to float on her own [laugh]

Can play/horse around in 1m pool. 

Can she not drown in a 1.8m pool and survive long enough for hypothetical lifeguard? I don't think so.

47 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

maybe she not interested, just treat it as letting her play water as long as she manage to float on her own [laugh]

can recommend ur lover

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I stay in the North.

I am from the Navy. Before I was enlisted, I cannot swim one. haha. I learn to swim after one month of 5am wake up.

Maybe you should apply the navy method. make them wake up everyday at 5am, swim liao then can have breakfast. If they pass swimming, then they can go back to normal. hahha.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I tried. But bit difficult lah. Cos her technique is too many things wrong. I can't rectify since I don't do this on a regular basis. I can't break it down for her.

you daughter has high expectations,  1 man for the job

https://www.mewatch.sg/en/series/tryfactor/webisodes/joseph-schooling-swim-tips-tryfactor/619815

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

I am from the Navy. Before I was enlisted, I cannot swim one. haha. I learn to swim after one month of 5am wake up.

Maybe you should apply the navy method. make them wake up everyday at 5am, swim liao then can have breakfast. If they pass swimming, then they can go back to normal. hahha.

That's what Schooling did since when 6 yrs old. He hits the pool at 5am everyday, even in overseas holidays.

If only our kids are so diligent as him, in doing anything (not only swimming).  They will excel in whatever they r in. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Swimming is a life skill. Even if they don't do NS. I would expect my kids to be comfortable and able to swim to safety in open water if there's a need.
If she can swim comfortably, I'm not going to progress further unless there's interest.

Then u need to know what button u can push on her to make her interested in learning swimming.  

You can teach yourself swimming. I did. Obviously not competitive or anything, but pool or (calm) sea, won't die one lol. 😁

So it really depends on what your aims for your child are.

I still remember swimming in our waters when I was 7 or so and getting stung badly all over by a jellyfish. Surprising that I have no phobia of the water at all.

Sometimes, kids have only developed the mental ready state in learning something.  Some are late developers.

Somehow one day, she may wake up in the morning and become motivated to excel in swimming. 

Life is an art, not science. 

9 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

You can teach yourself swimming. I did. Obviously not competitive or anything, but pool or (calm) sea, won't die one lol. 😁

So it really depends on what your aims for your child are.

I still remember swimming in our waters when I was 7 or so and getting stung badly all over by a jellyfish. Surprising that I have no phobia of the water at all.

Totally agree. 

I learn on my own when I was young. My bro just throw me into the pool and I have to tread water to stay alive. And soon learn all the swimming styles by observing others.

Last time where got the luxury of paying for a coach?  We just learned on our own. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, Jusnel said:

That's what Schooling did since when 6 yrs old. He hits the pool at 5am everyday, even in overseas holidays.

If only our kids are so diligent as him, in doing anything (not only swimming).  They will excel in whatever they r in. 

Schooling do for his whole life.

I only do one month in Navy, after that I cannot le. It is a torture to dip in the pool at 5am when you are only half awake. hahah.

18 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I stay in the North.

i thought SAFRA swimming class for kids is actually not bad.  you tried that?  or are you looking for 1 to 1 lessons?  

↡ Advertisement