Bolt, rim, screw question. A newbie needs help!

XstoneyG

Hello all! I'm having a dillema here. So i bought Phoenix rh rak two piece rims, and decided that i want to powder paint them. To do that, i had to get all the bolts around the rims out, and i of course messed some of them up. Now searching for new ones, i cant seem to understand which ones i need. The original screws were screwed out with an M8 spline bit, but on a site i found, it says that phoenix rims use M7 bolts and most of what i can find on alibaba is M7 size too. 

Also, a hex M8 screw had a noticeably larger diameter then the M8(?) spline screw... i really have no idea what i need

3C6A8AAB-0192-4DFC-8EA1-D487A12F4502.jpeg

8F50959C-F70A-40F4-B49F-77F0B1BEA6C8.jpeg

↡ Advertisement

I suggest you borrow a digital vernier caliper. Measure the thread diameter and the pitch.

Measuring the pitch is quite small. That's why I suggest using a digital vc. Measure one of the sharp end of the threads to the next, the distance will be the pitch.

Using this table you will able to determine whether it is a standard size thread or a fine thread.

Metric-M8-Bolt-Thread-Pitch.jpg

Look at the 8mm, standard pitch will be 1.25mm. Fine will be 1.0mm or 0.5mm. If I'm not wrong you may be looking at a 1.25mm and a 1.0mm the difference is hard to spot for a newbie.

Good luck.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

@Watwheels ok, will try! One of the venders on alibaba told me that these bolts are made differently. He told me they make them with a M7 size thread but a M8 size head... if so, than it could make sense with whats happening to me

Edited by XstoneyG

4 hours ago, XstoneyG said:

@Jamesc  😂 i think you would spend more on delivery for them. I live in Latvia my dude.

Latvia?

Famous for ladies football team?

MCF has gone international!

:D

Women's World Cup 2023

Ellen White breaks record as merciless England thrash Latvia 20-0

• Haha! 2

31 minutes ago, XstoneyG said:

@Watwheels ok, will try! One of the venders on alibaba told me that these bolts are made differently. He told me they make them with a M7 size thread but a M8 size head... if so, than it could make sense with whats happening to me

I have no idea what rims you are using. But one thing I can be sure is that if the product of origin is from China then yes you may try using their unusual thread size bolts. If your product is not from China then I suggest buying from non Chinese vendors.

The Chinese try to stand out by using standards that are not metric, British inches or even US standard size screw threads. 

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

@Watwheels i have original Rh rak phoenix rims from Germany... they arent from china, but i really cant find any other place where those kind of bolts are sold. There is maybe one place in Latvia which sells bolts like that, but they cost almost 4€ a piece. I really don't want to spend 400€ on bolts while i got the rims themselves for 250€

230CEFD9-316B-4319-ABA2-A5ECF5F9595A.png

• Haha! 2

just to share my personal view

China is now World Factory , some wheels in the markets are Made in China even thought you buy ii Outside China.

if your wheels are Real multi piece 2 or 3 My advice to you not to remove them because it may cause out of alignment and air leak or Vibration.

If your wheels are Multi piece LOOKed (actually is MONO black or Single Piece ) you can go ahead.  

! member above mentioned about the THread are different from the rest of the world is absolutely correct.

Friends of Mine got an Air compressor ( made in China cost really cheap only 1/3 of the Korean) had damaged bolt on Engine head , he went up and down couldn't find the replacement, so no choice to go back seller and it cost at most 10 times the cost of Commonly available type.

Neutral Newbie

@Roberttan yeah... well its too late now, i already took the rims to a service about a week ago to get all the other bolts out... will just have to pray that everything will turn out well