Pasta, Pizza, Planes, Pope and Prayers - three nights in Rome

therock

So everyone is back on the road again and I’ve also joined the crowd 

I managed to wrangle a conference in Rome and will do a quick trip there.  

Singapore airlines has become too expensive to afford a business class seat so I’ve had to choose an alternative and swiss air is part of Star Alliance so at a considerable saving and only one hour difference in arrival time, I have picked them. 

now that is also the issue as the transit time is only 70 mins so it’s cutting its close. However when I called the airlines they almost felt offended when I asked if it was sufficient 

and so the journey begins ..

So they use the silverkris lounge at changi and it’s pretty impressive with a wide selection of food and drinks plus free toiletries 

now for the airline 

When you travel you see and feel a lot and this is one of the major benefits of travel. You also get to compare and see what’s really good 
Swiss air is well very swiss in efficiency but they don’t have the smiles and warmth. 
That’s not so bad but dinner was a real low. The cod was possibly the worst I’ve ever had … stiff and over cooked 
Luckily the eggs for breakfast and the machine prepared cappuccino was fine. 
Usually there is a basket of snacks and here the basket does not have any fruits, just crisps and some mineral water. 
The bed is a lie flat with no bedding and just a blanket. Length is ok and the pocket for your legs is larger than the SQ equivalent 
So the most glaring thing is their seat arrangement 
Not all seats get aisle access easily and when you are trying to cross another passenger it’s a real bother. 
They charge extra for the so called ‘throne’ seats but you are rewarded with an abundance of storage. Great for people like me who didn’t check in any luggage. 
On the hand if you only got the regular business class seat, there’s only a small shelf and another side cabinet. 
The headphone are nasty though.. acoustics aren’t great and I don’t think their noise cancellation works at all. 
The inflight entertainment system works fine with a large 16” screen that is touchscreen. The selection are up to date but far more limited than SQ. 
Whilst you may say it’s unfair to compare since SQ costs 30% more but travelers will do so since they cater to the same market. 
But it’s the same little stuff that makes SQ stand out like free wifi.  Here it’s a chargeable cost. 
So you do get the trappings of a business class seat but little things are missing and so it’s not in your face but where that 30% extra cost goes to shows itself. 
I have a one hour transit in Zurich and they assure me it’s adequate for my next onward journey to Rome. 
And that’s their plus -
Efficiency 
So the transit fears proved to be unfounded and I make it to my next flight without fuss and even time to spare for a coffee at the lounge. 
You need to clear passports prior to going from one area gate to the next, but it’s a 15-20 min walk depending on how brisk you walk. Bringing a trolley bag was a smart move. There’s no more baggage checks so I regret not bringing my unopened sparkling mineral water along. 

There’s wifi for free in the airport but when you’re rushing, it’s good to have data because you need to jump through a fair number of hurdles to get on. 
The second leg is short flight so you get the same seats as economy but there’s no one next to you. 

They serve warm meals in the lounge and for a machine, the coffee is good. Grabbed a banana for the road and I have some apples too. Somehow coffee tastes better when you’re not at work? 
Onward to Rome 👋

IMG_9846.jpeg

IMG_9849.jpeg

IMG_9848.jpeg

IMG_9853.jpeg

IMG_9850.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9859.jpeg

IMG_9857.jpeg

IMG_9861.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Now when you enter the EU or Schengen, you need to clear customs once and it’s usually the first port of entry. 
your Singapore passport has a chip but you’ll still need a chop and it’s also an opportunity for the immigration guy to question you, maybe see if you’re a menace. 
it was very fast in Zurich and they were actually fairly polite about it 

in Rome it’s a bit messy once you exit, you can book a cab and it’s about 50 euros to town. 
now these Italian cabbies are another story 

They really are in a hurry and weave about so get your seatbelts and hold on for dear life 

may least they appear skillful and we arrive unscathed 

my hotel is just across from a train station so it’s nice to get to town - my place is really far from town 

for trains you’ll either pay with a credit card for single journeys or get a travel card

My hotel has a red theme, almost garish in nature .. check in was 3 pm but a nice lady got me a room at 1 pm

I was hoping for a pizza but I had to rush so I got a salmon sandwich and it wasn’t bad. 

IMG_9919.jpeg

IMG_9920.jpeg

IMG_9921.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

IMG_9923.jpeg

• Praise 4

Oh I forgot to highlight this lovely cake

I think it’s a Mille foglie ! It means thousands of lathers of pastry ! Delicious 😋

the offer is a mini version 

IMG_9921.jpeg

IMG_9922.jpeg

• Praise 5

image.thumb.jpeg.019bfe1648717be3e996c9015b5e5497.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.beb2efd68e48f90810050aa350e1ca19.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9a19e44052dd5c6327e5c87963b1c40e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.51c24c0ddd09e939e2e33dbeb9cc49a1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0224168621510824c78cf5b5daabc2b0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e6202e64920030023140ec650cb52286.jpegThe Zurich transit lounge is ok

functional like most swiss stuff but nothing special. 
the multi-plugs remind you that you’re in Europe 

the second leg flight is just an economy seat with no one next to you ..

but the coffee never fails to impress

• Praise 4

Lunch was functional but dinner was much better

now Italian pasta is served far more Al dente than in SG .. something I like but others may not

pizza is usually thin and crispy 

image.thumb.jpeg.a21335c49ecb556962f89e6657488f48.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e68b3e613cc9474f1bb4800eca4070b9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.60c5565718e21ca53ff80559ab2a4cc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d49345a2b6d0477d56c113c6097834b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9654c06085182f4b5fecfba1adaa0bc9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ab7b800c347c6f8d05741d5a4d6dfb36.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8dc613fc437b494043cf124c80c2109b.jpeg

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Surprised you took the flight to Zurich. SIN ZRH is a very crowded flight. And almost always full full. Prices are high cause the demand is high. 
lucky you didn’t check in 70min a little tight for checked bags to get transferred. But at least in Zurich the chances are high that there will be no problems. Do it in London or Paris or Italian airports then jialat! 

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 7/2/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mkl22 said:

Surprised you took the flight to Zurich. SIN ZRH is a very crowded flight. And almost always full full. Prices are high cause the demand is high. 
lucky you didn’t check in 70min a little tight for checked bags to get transferred. But at least in Zurich the chances are high that there will be no problems. Do it in London or Paris or Italian airports then jialat! 

Whike it may be stated 70 min but if the flight departed on time, it would usually arrive eaelier, so he should have more than 70 min of stop over time.

Twincharged
On 7/2/2023 at 10:36 AM, Ct3833 said:

Whike it may be stated 70 min but if the flight departed on time, it would usually arrive eaelier, so he should have more than 70 min of stop over time.

Depart from SG still ok. Depart from China or shitty EU airports then you know. Changi is the best and still is the best. Lots of shit airports worldwide. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Recently, my BIL missed his Frankfurt-SIN while coming back from dubrovnik.

Had to stay one more night in frankfurt. 

• Shocked 1

On 7/2/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mkl22 said:

Only attempted it cos it’s Zurich and it is a short trip, plus the airline was very confident. 
prices much lower than SQ too 

the return leg will be more exciting- 50 min transfer 😮💨 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Standard hotel breakfast buffet. 
not too bad for Europe

sometimes is very sparse 

66938304-A970-4FBF-8C4E-5937EAC9A205.jpeg

• Haha! 5

On 7/2/2023 at 5:58 PM, therock said:

not too bad for Europe

sometimes is very sparse 

That looks like what Loki's wonder helper would prepare as garnish only...😁

Twincharged
On 7/2/2023 at 5:58 PM, therock said:

not too bad for Europe

sometimes is very sparse 

Went on an almost 2week road trip with a friend. After 2days KPKB! Always the same shit at every hotel every morning. Bread, cold cuts, boiled egg, cereal, maybe yogurt or salad. 

• Haha! 1

It’s called Amatriciana as it’s originally from a place called Amatrice near Rome

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_22fcd.thumb.jpg.daa523db0cecd1f83d9eea3246535e0e.jpg

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 7/2/2023 at 9:32 PM, Mkl22 said:

Went on an almost 2week road trip with a friend. After 2days KPKB! Always the same shit at every hotel every morning. Bread, cold cuts, boiled egg, cereal, maybe yogurt or salad. 

What do U expect …… when in Rome do what the Romans do ……. Preambree skool teach dis 1 oldready 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1