Driving in Europe

2nd Gear

Anyone experienced driving from one state to another in Europe? Do it needs to pass thru custom? Anything to take note or tips

May plan to drive from Germany to Austria. Heard that a road with no speed limit in Germany?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic
(edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, denser said:

Anyone experienced driving from one state to another in Europe? Do it needs to pass thru custom? Anything to take note or tips

May plan to drive from Germany to Austria. Heard that a road with no speed limit in Germany?

no need anything ... just drive

i suggest you to get rental car from Sixt where they allow cross border 

make sure your rental car can "cross border" ... not all models are allowed

Germany to Austria is like SG <> JB ...

everyday got people drive over especially to Innsbruck and Salzburg

Autobahn no limit is only for certain areas not the entire highway

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 5

Hypersonic
On 4/1/2024 at 11:08 AM, Wt_know said:

The best part for Europe driving is the countryside B road which is most beautiful. Especially through small town. 

Not the no speed limit Autobahn.  

Supercharged
On 4/1/2024 at 3:49 PM, Tohto said:

The best part for Europe driving is the countryside B road which is most beautiful. Especially through small town. 

Not the no speed limit Autobahn.  

Countryside and mountainous roads, especially those with snows....:grin:

Twincharged
On 4/1/2024 at 10:33 AM, denser said:

autobahn and look out for the sign with 3 diagonal lines. this marks the start of no limit. for the end... it will then indicate the speed limit.

Untitled.png.677b0ea4e1b5966f56007972f19fde9c.png

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 4/1/2024 at 4:13 PM, Mkl22 said:

autobahn and look out for the sign with 3 diagonal lines. this marks the start of no limit. for the end... it will then indicate the speed limit.

Untitled.png.677b0ea4e1b5966f56007972f19fde9c.png

Depend on road traffic condition and weather condition, it will keep changing.

2nd Gear

so can drive cross any europe countries? still thinking which cities nice to drive along

On 4/1/2024 at 11:08 AM, Wt_know said:

(edited)

I have done Croatia cross over to Bosnia (Zagreb Airport - Split - Mostar - Sarajevo and back) using a rental car. Will need all the necessary documents at border. Check with rental company first if it allows cross-border driving. This drive was very beautiful.

I have done Frankfurt to Munich too but quite boring. Autobahn nothing great, really. 

Edited by Uluwatu06
  • Praise 2

Twincharged
On 4/1/2024 at 5:02 PM, denser said:

so can drive cross any europe countries? still thinking which cities nice to drive along

Yes,just show Passport & go,if you are 1st Time going to Europe,i advice you be careful,Europe drive on the Right Side of the Road,Left Hand Drive Car....better take a Train...as the Driving Conditions are not the same in here.

• Praise 2

6th Gear
On 4/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, Uluwatu06 said:

I have done Croatia cross over to Bosnia (Zagreb Airport - Split - Mostar - Sarajevo and back) using a rental car. Will need all the necessary documents at border. Check with rental company first if it allows cross-border driving. This drive was very beautiful.

I have done Frankfurt to Munich too but quite boring. Autobahn nothing great, really. 

Autobahn replaceable by our neighbours NSHW ? 😂

2nd Gear
On 4/2/2024 at 7:17 AM, ER-3682 said:

Yes,just show Passport & go,if you are 1st Time going to Europe,i advice you be careful,Europe drive on the Right Side of the Road,Left Hand Drive Car....better take a Train...as the Driving Conditions are not the same in here.

I have driven left-hand drive in South Korea and Iceland but have not tried other places in Europe

Twincharged
On 4/2/2024 at 7:58 AM, D3badge said:

Nope...German's Autobahn go even above 250km/h not scary...NSHW..above 180km/h..very worry...the Road Discipine is not like German.

2nd Gear
(edited)

@denser have driven from Italy to France and back, as well as Italy to Switzerland and Liechtenstein and back. No issues and not all borders are manned if countries are part of the Schengen Agreement (i.e. u just pass through a tunnel and you see a sign and you are in the next country already). For Swiss and Austria you need a vignette sticker to drive on their highways, these can be purchased from the petrol station but you must be careful that you have the sticker before going on the highways. 

Usually the car rental company insurance covers driving in Western Europe countries, I know certain models of cars that are more expensive they may not allow you to drive to Eastern Europe. Can check with your rental company on the restrictions. 

Edited by shawn207
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 4/2/2024 at 7:58 AM, D3badge said:

Not the same. 

But I prefer B road there.

6th Gear
(edited)
On 4/2/2024 at 10:30 AM, ER-3682 said:

Nope...German's Autobahn go even above 250km/h not scary...NSHW..above 180km/h..very worry...the Road Discipine is not like German.

Agree. When I drove to KL, there are so many Singaporean cars tailgating me, egging to to increase my speed. I wonder what they are trying to prove.

Edited by Davidklt

Hypersonic
On 4/2/2024 at 9:52 AM, denser said:

I have driven left-hand drive in South Korea and Iceland but have not tried other places in Europe

Make sure you keep to slow lane (right lane) when cruising or immediately after overtaking.

Twincharged
On 4/2/2024 at 10:52 AM, Davidklt said:

Agree. When I drove to KL, there are so many Singaporean cars tailgating me, egging to to increase my speed. I wonder what they are trying to prove.

Prove their Cars more Powerful & more Guts..also prepare to give Malaysia's Police some Tips.

Hypersonic
On 4/2/2024 at 12:00 PM, ER-3682 said:

Prove their Cars more Powerful & more Guts..also prepare to give Malaysia's Police some Tips.

This is getting rare now. Maybe in 2nd link

↡ Advertisement