Jump to content

Help Needed on Car Choice!!!


Andrewtankw
 Share

Recommended Posts

Steering wise, precision is more important that light feel. The car should be predictable and pointed to the direction of the steering irrespective of the lightness or heaviness.


 

Well, I would agreed to some point, ie. driving up to certain speedwink.gif.

 

As for me, having own 2 Alfas for the past 10 years before switching to the my current Civic, I do find the steering lack of feedback at high speed, above 140kmh. ie. the steering feels light as compare to my previous 2 Alfas (The first one without Power Steering, but the second with Power Steering). thumbsup.gif

 

Even after replacing my stock springs to Eibach Pro-Kit, the steering is more precise when going thru' corners but the feedback on high speed (above 140kmh) is still lacking tongue.gif. I do not have the kind of confidence level that I used to have on my previous 2 Alfas sweatdrop.gif

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, there's nothing like direct, uncorrupted steering, even if some (most, come to think of it) people prefer remote, feel-less and finger-light turning. Which is why I've always found the Uno a joy to punt around, it's just so mechanical; whereas I get all nervous driving some jap cars: If I turn the steering wheel at expresway speeds, will the car react in time? [sweatdrop]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all brudders,,

 

Thanks for all the responses to my question. If possible, lets keep it going.

I am currently driving a Honda Civic VTi, so if it is the Corolla, I will really need to have a complete mindset change lah.

 

I am wondering how is the COE (ie car proce) going to move. Would now be a good time to buy considering that the COE price is moving up due to all the festivities around the corner.

 

Regards,

-Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Hey, just a couple of clarifications on the points raised in this thread so far.

 

1) EXi does not have VTEC. VTi is SOHC Vtec, both are 1.5 l engines.

2) Euro R has VTEC (and is DOHC), definitely. It churns out 220 HPs..

3) Fuel consumption for my EXi is around 13.5 km/l. So it's debatable whether that's low or high..

4) don't know what the iVTEC stands for, but it's the latest engine design which incorporates variable valve lift duration and cam phasing. Thus the power delivery on the new Integra Type R and cars with such engines are very linear - not much surge when vtec kicks in, but the power is there throughout and the engine just continues pulling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that at speed above 120kmh, the alfa and euro car excel in the handling department. Japs are still behind when real handling and suspension design are concern.

 

However, engine wise, I have to give credit to the jap, smooth, econimical, reliable and troublefree. Handling, IMO good and safe up to about 110 km/h, above that do it at your own risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

However, engine wise, I have to give credit to the jap, smooth, econimical, reliable and troublefree. Handling, IMO good and safe up to about 110 km/h, above that do it at your own risk.


Yeap! thumbsup.gif I greed totally wink.gif
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Max speed in S'pore only 90km/h [laugh] So very safe for jap car.

But yr points of "reliable and troublefree. Handling" that I doubt it.

Edited by Mondeo
Link to post
Share on other sites

But yr points of "reliable and troublefree. Handling" that I doubt it.

_______________________________________

Well, my civic definately scores better in this dept as compare to my Alfa 33laugh.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

".......... Japs are still behind when real handling and suspension design are concern.

......."

 

i've gotta feeling that it's not so much the jap dunno how to design n make cars that have real handling and suspension designs, juz look at the rex/evo/GTR etc, i suspect they know the taste of their domestic drivers and design their cars to sell to these ppl........ [nod]

 

juz my guessing n i could be wrong..... [:/]

 

my 0.000002cents' worth....

 

cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree that the jap make car base on the taste of the customers. A little of this and a little of that but seldom the best of everything to please the buyers.

 

Euro makers are more extensive in their end products and make car that suit their design purpose more than customer needs. Of course customer feedback and likes are also important.

 

Japs know how to make car, or should I say improve and modify an existing design and make it better. From my observation, handling and suspension have improved tremendously lately as compared to previous years say about 5 - 10 years ago.

 

But at the moment, they are still slightly behind, I believe they will catch up one day. Take a look at their car today, very euro in concept and also trying to be jap at the same times. Nissan are more like renault and toyota are following the euro design in body rigidity and construction.

 

At the same time, euro car are also getting better in reliability especially in the electric and engine department, this the jap are ahead.

 

My personal views.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Alvin,

 

It depends on he needs & preference:

 

1.7L Streams : Handles like a saloon car with basic 7 seatertongue.gif & more responsive engine to Carens thumbsup.gif

 

1.8 Carens: Lesser Handling than the Stream but good 7 seater (more gimicks than stream) with last roll air-con thumbsup.gif & less powerful engine.

 

** 2.0 iVTEC Streams will have the last roll air-con & of course a more powerful & responsive engine than both the above but at a $$$Premium$$$tongue.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

come to think of it, the angmohs (not the yankee though) are good in chassis/suspension designs which affect the handling of a car whereas the jap are good at electronic this and electronic that even covering 'intelligent' suspensions etc. plus jap are good at QC and they perfect basic design to such a high level of perfection that it hardly fails (abit dull to drive at times though)....ie building simple basic cars to perfection (ie result: reliable and durable)... whereas angmohs got good/clever designs but poorer QC resulting in less reliable but fundamentally sound products..... [nod][:)]

 

juz my $0.00002 divided by 1,000,000.......

 

cheers [thumbsup]

Edited by Super7
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the OMV for Corolla is less, that means that BM earning more from the sale as compared to KM.

 

U can work out the actual by going to www.onemotoring.com and see how much the car actual cost is and the profits made.

 

For me, I will choose the Honda cuz in terms of interior room, I think it is much bigger and if u always carry five, the flat floor will be good for your passengers. Also, Honda got lots of mods available.

 

Downside of Honda is a higher insurance and u almost always get stopped at road blocks! [laugh]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

How old was the Alfa 33 alredi? [sweatdrop] Y dun make the comparsion of Alfa 33 and the same generation Civic.

 

Or U should take the 156 or 147 to compare with your VTEC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My second alfa was registered in 92, the Honda & Toyota are of better built & having lesser problem than my 33 back than nod.gif .

 

If you talk about current 156 or 147, the interior & external design looks better than most Japs, but when you talk about the engine dept, the Vtec is a marvel piece of engine design as compared to the TS found in 156 & 147 especially in the 2 liter range, IMHO. wink.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Attach is the detail breakdown of car cost for cars registered in Sept this year, taken from Onemotoring.com.sg.

 

I chose the Honda Civic for the same reason as you, also my OMV is $19k+ & based on the the selling price of $87k+, KM makes a profit about $3k+ from my car. smile.gif

 

I don't put on fanciful bodykits, except for lowering with Eibach Pro-kit springs & 15" Enkei CPS-II rims, & I don't have any problems with road blocks. wink.gif I prefer 'Function' over 'Form' sly.gif

Car_Cost_SEPT2002.pdf

Edited by Vtim
↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...