Mid-range Conti car...

Zoomprotege

Hi folks, my Mazda Protege is currently in it's third year. I am thinking of changing to a conti for my next car. However, don't think will move to Beemer, merc or Audi level yet. So would like some suggestions on a mid-range conti car. Ex. 1600CC level.

Renault Megane?

Ford Focus?

Btw, is it true that Conti generally got more servicing problems and cost of servicing much higher?

Can ex-Jap car owners care to share your thoughts on your current conti rides? Pros-and-cons?

Thanks guys!!!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

The usual suspects would be:

Ford Focus

Renault Megane

Opel Astra

Peugeot 307

Usual worries for maintenance would be availability and cost of spare parts. I would say these choices are popular enough to have ready spares in Singapore. Cost of maintenance wise, you gotta ask around. From what I know, Ford servicing charges are reasonable, and they provide 5 year warranty on the Focus.

eddie (90085584)

opel astra or skoda octavia.. [thumbsup]

conti slow in pickup power so so only if finance not an issue go for alfa 147 1.6l

conti are great in the highway.. [:)]

Edited by Hilander4650

You mean low-end conti cars? [;)] Maintainance cost will be higher than Jap cars, cos there are less demand for it's parts and fewer stockist. Some workshop will also charge more for conti-cars. Conti cars are generally less reliable than Jap cars and most surveys have proven that.

The pros are it's handling, built quality and safety (tho some jap cars are doing very well in NCAP).

Edited by Silver_blade

Hi Zoomprotege,

It is not true that all continental makes encounter more problems and the cost of servicing is much higher. Skoda is one good example of continental make which represents good value for money and reliable motoring. The fact speaks for itself.

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10.html?apc=311

The Skoda Octavia Tour will be a very suitable candidate if you are considering a mid-range continental car. At around $60k with current COE premiums, this is one of the lowest prices since the model first appeared in Singapore in 1999.

My sis-in-law owns a Skoda Octavia Tour Auto. Being a first time owner, she is very cautious on her choice of car. Having sat in several of her colleagues' cars, Japanese and continental, she is without doubt that the Octavia offers the best road holding, build quality and value for money in its class. Contrary to usual belief that continental cars are heavy in fuel consumption, the 2 month old Octavia Tour returned on average 10-11km/l in 70:30 city:highway driving.

I have owned a 7 year old Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI while I was in Austria for 15 months. The car has 136000km on its clock when I took over the car. Besides the usual oil change, there was no fault or major repair needed for this car. The beauty of this car reveals when you take it on the European expressways which are limited at 130km/h. In Germany, the expressways have no speed limits. The car handles confidently and inspires the driver to explore the car to its maximum potential. The sure-handedness, stability is unmatched by any Japanese cars in its class. The turbo diesel injection engine offered an additional advantage of fuel efficiency. With regular high-speed sprints on the highway, the car managed to return on average 18.4km/l.

My positive Skoda ownership has influenced my parents when they are looking to replace their problematic Volvo S40. All along, we have owned Toyotas, a Nissan and a Volvo. When I recommended them to get a Superb 1 year back, they were apprehensive. After all, once bitten, twice shy. That was all history. Our Superb has never failed us and never threw tantrums like the Volvo. They get what they have been looking for in a car - a fuss-free car yet providing good road holding and excellent driving dynamics unmatched by Japanese cars in the same class.

Please PM me if you want to gather more information on our Skoda ownership experience. There is a Skoda Owners' Group folder in this forum where you can gather more information.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, I would suggest Ford Focus or Opel Astra for their current pricing. And both are so called new model in the market. As for maintenance and part costs compared to Jap & Korean cars,it will not much diff. The killing parts is always the LABOUR costs.

Yes, Ford provide 5 year warranty on the Focus and you can bring your own stuff for serving. Why i know ? Cos i driving a Ford Focus 2004 model now. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

Sorry to sound like I'm contradicting you, but shouldn't the "...killing parts is always the LABOUR costs..." part be qualified by "...if you continue to go back to the official dealer".

My choice will be..

Ford Focus or Renault Megane...

but you better go test drive and see their offer package by yourself to decide...

go and test drive the following cars and decide with your heart.

Hatchback

1. Ford Focus

2. Opel Astra

3. VW Golf

4. Skoda Octavia

5. Citroen C4

Sedan

1. Ford Focus

2. Skoda Octavia

All are good cars,... it's what you prefer.