Fridge in trouble.. any expert??

Creative_tec

my fridge top freezer is working fine but it seems that the bottom fridge is not working fine. in fact, its not cold as before suddenly. can feel cold air blowing out from the vent (3 vent but only 1 got air blowing) but its like no power to blow.

any expert can advise what can i do. if i call for repair man, the damage will certainly be more expensive than the fridge and i wanna try saving it before dumping it away.

btw, my fridge is GE brand...

thankss

↡ Advertisement

I had a similar case with my GE fridge 2 yrs ago.

Freezer cold, but lower section not cold. Shut down the fridge and dismantled to the internal ducting to investigate.

I found that a blower fan will blow cold air from the freezer coil, thru a duct between the freezer and bottom section. All these are concealed at the internal rear wall of the fridge. Ice may have form in the duct and block the airflow to the bottom section. This may be due to the unusually frequent opening of the fridge doors during a family gathering a few days earlier. External humidity may had enter the fridge and caused ice to form in the duct.

Left the fridge to rest for 2 days, and the fridge is back to normal operation, even today.

My niece had the same problem with the fridge [not GE] 1 yr ago, and followed my advise, and the fridge is back to normal again. Similarly, she had guests a few days earlier, and naturally more frequent openings of the fridge doors.

Want give a try ?

Neutral Newbie

my fridge top freezer is working fine but it seems that the bottom fridge is not working fine. in fact, its not cold as before suddenly. can feel cold air blowing out from the vent (3 vent but only 1 got air blowing) but its like no power to blow.

any expert can advise what can i do. if i call for repair man, the damage will certainly be more expensive than the fridge and i wanna try saving it before dumping it away.

thankss

Bought a GE fridge last time..worst fridge I have ever encounter.

American stuff are the worst...within a year my internal fan kong, frezzer not cold..then the water dispenser kong...then it's water pipe leak...then fan kong again...WTF [furious] ! Write email/letter complain also no response F..up after service. Call then put on hold....CB..change fridge after 3rd year.

You know what my electricity comsumption drop by 120Kwhr/month!

It the last time I am going to buy F**king ape product.

Oops, forgot to mention : leave the fridge doors wide open when shut down for 2 days. This will let the moisture in the fridge dry up.

thankss

If the fridge is too old,replace it is a better option.

mine was a made in malaysia Panasonic...freezer at the bottom kind. had the same problem, technician came and replace the back styrofoam. cost me $150. should have done what was suggested here...off the fridge and let the ice in there melt away.

Technician advise not to block those air vents in the back of the inside of your fridge

My GE fridge is now 10 yrs old, fortunately only the minor problems 2 yrs ago. Hope can last longer.

If you have to dump the old fridge for new fridge, try to enquire whether can trade-in.

* 2 yrs ago, Courts allow to trade-in S$50 for burnt TV when we purchase new LCD TV.

Hi

This could be the fridge icing up and thus the fan cannot circulate air thru the fins to cool the fridge down. The freezer is icing up but rest of fridge not cold? Problem could be (in order of probabilities)

1) Defrost timer faulty(box with electric or electronic clock to turn on/off defrosting cycle/heater) - (less than $100)

2) Defrost thermostat located on the evaporator fins area (size of a large marble but shaped like a can) - less than $30

3) Circulating fan faulty (no fan action) - less than $40

3) Defrost heater burnt out (unable to defrost the ice buid up). - less than $50

I'm not a professional but I have a Kelvinator that broke down so many times and encountered so many quack "repairmen" I have learnt how to fix these simple problems myself. Becareful of crooked repairmen who claim your fridge is kaput and want to sell you expensive replacment or repairs. Most fridge repairs are cheap and simple with the exception of the compressor.

I had a similar case with my GE fridge 2 yrs ago.

Freezer cold, but lower section not cold. Shut down the fridge and dismantled to the internal ducting to investigate.

I found that a blower fan will blow cold air from the freezer coil, thru a duct between the freezer and bottom section. All these are concealed at the internal rear wall of the fridge. Ice may have form in the duct and block the airflow to the bottom section. This may be due to the unusually frequent opening of the fridge doors during a family gathering a few days earlier. External humidity may had enter the fridge and caused ice to form in the duct.

Left the fridge to rest for 2 days, and the fridge is back to normal operation, even today.

My niece had the same problem with the fridge [not GE] 1 yr ago, and followed my advise, and the fridge is back to normal again. Similarly, she had guests a few days earlier, and naturally more frequent openings of the fridge doors.

Want give a try ?

will try it and see if it works...

somehow, i find that the top freezer blower is blowing exceptionally strong...

Hi

This could be the fridge icing up and thus the fan cannot circulate air thru the fins to cool the fridge down. The freezer is icing up but rest of fridge not cold? Problem could be (in order of probabilities)

1) Defrost timer faulty(box with electric or electronic clock to turn on/off defrosting cycle/heater) - (less than $100)

2) Defrost thermostat located on the evaporator fins area (size of a large marble but shaped like a can) - less than $30

3) Circulating fan faulty (no fan action) - less than $40

3) Defrost heater burnt out (unable to defrost the ice buid up). - less than $50

I'm not a professional but I have a Kelvinator that broke down so many times and encountered so many quack "repairmen" I have learnt how to fix these simple problems myself. Becareful of crooked repairmen who claim your fridge is kaput and want to sell you expensive replacment or repairs. Most fridge repairs are cheap and simple with the exception of the compressor.

bro.. you have any repair man to recommend?

i left my fridge off and open for the whole week... and now best, even the top also not cold anymore...

initially when i on the fridge, the top and bottom start getting cold. Until the next day, when i open the fridge, its HOT air coming out for both top and bottom..

dunnoe whats spoilt and dunnoe how to check also coz i am a nutcase when it comes to mechanical stuff...

thanks

Turbocharged

errr, anyone encounter this before? Buy new one or can call a handyman to fix it?

The fridge door cannot hold shut. Maybe the magnetic strip is weak.

Now I have to improvise a elastic band to keep the door closed tight.

errr, anyone encounter this before? Buy new one or can call a handyman to fix it?

go to mega store at leisure park kallang .look for Raymond 62417989....tell him last emperor introduce you to him. or just tell him the guy who bought the Panasonic alkaline water system from him

his price very nice

Turbocharged

go to mega store at leisure park kallang .look for Raymond 62417989....tell him last emperor introduce you to him. or just tell him the guy who bought the Panasonic alkaline water system from him

his price very nice

lol, you are saying the fridge is gone case. thanks for the tip, bro

and how is his business today, lol

klp0705.jpg?itok=g7wCW7Sm

• Praise 2

(edited)

lol, you are saying the fridge is gone case. thanks for the tip, bro

and how is his business today, lol

klp0705.jpg?itok=g7wCW7Sm

not worth the repair, as a new fridge might be cheaper as it last longer.

he beng beng but nice guy. think not affect him too much lar. call before you go down :D

he love smoking break [:p]

How much your budget can tell me

Edited by Staff69

Turbocharged

try clean up the surface first. If you don't have habit of clean it occasionally, chances are the contact surfaces have a layer of stains which act as insulation and preventing the door to shut and stick up nicely.. Can use toothpaste to clean up the strip also.. Worth trying before call the in the expert...

• Praise 3

Bro, got something which prevent door from closing is it? Better check first before calling for technician.

Turbocharged

try tilting the fridge slightly backwards.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Refrigerator-Door-Close

Bro, got something which prevent door from closing is it? Better check first before calling for technician.

Thank you. think more serious than that. the rubber/pvc seal seems abit stiff liao. Just now tried some simple wet cleaning, also no improvement. It is a 3 door fridge.

When the lower drawer is opened, the top door separates!

tomorrow I try to call some handyman for quote. Maybe they have the seal.

↡ Advertisement