Jump to content

Iridium Spark Plug ?


Hungee
 Share

Recommended Posts

All or most plugs are copper core, iridium or platinum are just the tip at the centre electrode. The plugs that produced the most concentrated sparks is the one with the smallest centre electrode.

 

copper plugs usually have 2.5mm copper tip.

iridium from 0.4mm to 0.8mm

platinum from 0.6mm to 1.1mm

hm.. so according to your chart, iridium will have the most ommph in its sparks?

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually about the same when new,it is only Irdium will last longer...some cars esp those modern V6 engine[for my car,you need to remove the throttle body] very difficult to change spark plugs,so long lasting spark plugs is needed.

My car is a nissan cefiro 260jm also V6 lea.. I didn't diy change sparks before..

Link to post
Share on other sites

hm.. so according to your chart, iridium will have the most ommph in its sparks?

 

Yes, the one with the smallest centre electrode will have the most power/sparks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/coppe...top-performance

 

Personally I feel there a difference in throttle response between Copper and Iridium....Iridium for me gives average mileage per litre but car is very sluggish and noisy at high speeds (do you feel the same?). Used to use silver spark plugs very good throttle performance but they got burned out after first 5k and misfire or so...not very good on the wallets.....

Edited by Ooosh
Link to post
Share on other sites

Iridium is the worst conductor of electricity. But it gives good mileage

 

Stock copper spark plugs are the best value for money as they are the next best conductor after silver spark plugs and probably is economically viable to change every 10k (under $20 for 4 cylinders).

 

Actually, it doesn't matter at all.

 

IF you check out your plugs, there is a ~5K ohm resistor inside every plug to cut down the spark power (this is to cut out noise generated by the plugs).

 

Some plug cables also uses high resistance wires to again cut down spark power to cut noise.

 

If you want maximum possible spark power, yes it is possible. You can use low resistance plug cables and non resistor plugs. However, you will face problem with your electronics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair/coppe...top-performance

 

Personally I feel there a difference in throttle response between Copper and Iridium....Iridium for me gives average mileage per litre but car is very sluggish and noisy at high speeds (do you feel the same?). Used to use silver spark plugs very good throttle performance but they got burned out after first 5k and misfire or so...not very good on the wallets.....

 

Check your plug gap. The main culprit is always the plug gap, not the material used for the tip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My car is a nissan cefiro 260jm also V6 lea.. I didn't diy change sparks before..

I only heard of 230JM,260JM...Hmmmm.???

Link to post
Share on other sites

pls take note normal denso iridium can last 40k only. if using normal copper sparks can last 30k.

 

normal ngk iridium can last 60k. makes more dollar & cents to buy normal copper or ngk iridium instead

I am using normal copper sparks $9/pc and lasted 60k. At first I was going round looking for iridium sparks and was searching for the correct part number.

I was really surprise when was told the orginal sparks is a normal copper type and can last 60-70k.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using normal copper sparks $9/pc and lasted 60k. At first I was going round looking for iridium sparks and was searching for the correct part number.

I was really surprise when was told the orginal sparks is a normal copper type and can last 60-70k.

 

Copper plugs wear around 0.1-0.15mm per 10k km, so if you are using 1.1mm gap spark plugs, by the end of 10k your plugs will be around 1.2-1.25mm or >1.3mm after 20k km.

 

This will put undue stress/load on your ignition coil to jump this increase gap, causing misfire and shortening the ignition coil life. Don't drag your spark plugs change interval by too long, would be very costly if you have to change your ignition coil.

 

 

See below technical information:

Denso copper wear rate

Edited by Trex101
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

This will put undue stress/load on your ignition coil to jump this increase gap, causing misfire and shortening the ignition coil life. Don't drag your spark plugs change interval by too long, would be very costly if you have to change your ignition coil.

 

 

See below technical information:

Denso copper wear rate

To be honest to you, my ride is 3.5 year, 50k and I thought it's about time to change the sparks as per the manual. I started searching the web looking for the right sparks and visited a few stockist. After running around for 2 hrs only to find out the OEM sparks is just a normal sparks. I also find it hard to believe a normal sparks could last 50k. I checked with my neighbour, his C200 also using OEM sparks and replace at 60k interval. All this while we thought we are using Iridium sparks. Really surprise MB is using normal copper sparks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This will put undue stress/load on your ignition coil to jump this increase gap, causing misfire and shortening the ignition coil life. Don't drag your spark plugs change interval by too long, would be very costly if you have to change your ignition coil.

 

 

See below technical information:

Denso copper wear rate

 

To be honest to you, my ride is 3.5 year, 50k and I thought it's about time to change the sparks as per the manual. I started searching the web looking for the right sparks and visited a few stockist. After running around for 2 hrs only to find out the OEM sparks is just a normal sparks. I also find it hard to believe a normal sparks could last 50k. I checked with my neighbour, his C200 also using OEM sparks and replace at 60k interval. All this while we thought we are using Iridium sparks. Really surprise MB is using normal copper sparks.

 

I doubt your C200 plugs are copper, maybe you can check your owner manual and quote what part number it state there? so that i can x-ref and see what type of plugs is that. OEM spark plugs now at mostly platinum or iridium now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

hi bros,

 

just side track a bit..

 

where can i buy the long sockets to take out the plugs?

 

Thanks

 

 

Go Mustafa to buy, open 24 x 7, value for money [:p]

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...