Engine water dry up fast?

SporeHongkong

hi all, any idea wats wrong cause i jus filled up engine water into water tank in morning by evening i came back wash car suprised to see almost half of the water gone..there's no leak or nothing but surely something is wrong..any comments? thks alot..

↡ Advertisement

hi all, any idea wats wrong cause i jus filled up engine water into water tank in morning by evening i came back wash car suprised to see almost half of the water gone..there's no leak or nothing but surely something is wrong..any comments? thks alot..

I think you meant the coolant am I right? Maybe it was the bypass hose is leaking.. Mine started slowly, I only found out about it when I sent my car to the workshop for inspection. By the way how old is your car?? Normally these hoses will start to break down after 3 years of usage and also where do you usually park your car at as rubber tend to give way faster if you constantly park under sunny areas.

When the engine is running hot the coolant will expanse and excess coolant/water vapour will drain via the radiator cap relief valve into the coolant collection bottle.

The reverse will happen when your kill the engine, the cool down coolant system in the engine will creat negative pressure (vacuum) which in turns will draw the coolant back into the system.

If there is no white smoke emission when your run yr engine, my conclusion is yr ride coolant volume is just too low.

Edited by Yeobh

Hard to come with a figure. The downtime can be costly in term of loss of use of cars and buying replacement parts/components. It's like yr body, you can keep to the min quality of foods but overtime if the systems fails, the cost can be beyong one's means

hope you didn't pour water into your engine [bigcry]

mine coe car..but i have sheltered parking daily..anyway i jus bought a can of coolent n after finding the radiator screw at the bottom, managed to unscrew n drain off all excess water n than re-fill it with coolent n mix water..i notice when i warm the engine, drop by drop of water leak from the bottom of the screw area,but if stop n off engine wont..any idea is it the rubber hose at the screw area already loosen as said by bros here?cause i check also maybe loose liao..any idea where to have it changed,shdnt be costly right? thks again for all yr time n info..

bro u mean for the collection btl, it shdnt be filled to max level huh? so as to let it flow back n through...i filled up the radiator with mixture of coolent n water to the max already..almost 2 btl of 1.5L water n the coolent..will it be sufficent?

When the engine is running hot the coolant will expanse and excess coolant/water vapour will drain via the radiator cap relief valve into the coolant collection bottle.

The reverse will happen when your kill the engine, the cool down coolant system in the engine will creat negative pressure (vacuum) which in turns will draw the coolant back into the system.

If there is no white smoke emission when your run yr engine, my conclusion is yr ride coolant volume is just too low.

any idea y awhile ago when i driving,suddenly the temp gauge shot up to almost 3/4...scared me so i stop by the side of the road..if i not wrong there were stains i presume that were from the spare radiator btl cause can see some brownish coloured water marks on the inner side of the bonnet..is it too full thats y spilled out? am afraid that wat if the temp jus kept raising when i drive long distance?

already had a btl of coolent poured into yest..but think cause of the slight leak affected it..?any way dont think the temp sensor got prob..but how come suddenly like that?

any idea y awhile ago when i driving,suddenly the temp gauge shot up to almost 3/4...scared me so i stop by the side of the road..if i not wrong there were stains i presume that were from the spare radiator btl cause can see some brownish coloured water marks on the inner side of the bonnet..is it too full thats y spilled out? am afraid that wat if the temp jus kept raising when i drive long distance?

About 14yrs ago, my Nissan Pulsar 1.0DX had the same problem.

Suggest to check the radiator cap, the rubber seals likely to be cracked.

- the radiator cap is supposed to maintain the radiator above atmospheric pressure, so that the coolant will not "boil over" at normal operating temperatures.

- so if radiator cap rubber seals are damaged, the coolant will "boil over" at 100 degC, and flow to the overflow bottle, and then spill out. Airflow during driving will carry the spillover to the bonnet area.

- when the engine shut down and cool down, a vacuum is supposed to be created in the radiator and "pull back" the coolant from the overflow bottle.

- but the damaged radiator seal "pull in" in air outside, instead of the coolant. So that why the radiator level is low.

- I changed the radiator cap, and this situation is resolved.

Hope that my case is the same as yours.

hey bro...thks alot for the advice..hope i have the same case as yrs..but i feel its not abt the cap on the radiator..its tight n in place..water was coming out from the other side..maybe is it one of the water pumps choke?i believe the bottom release screw the rubber lining is loose thats y it drips..anyway u know roughly how much this going costs me?

If it is the drain plug than it is a cheap thing , the most will be between 10 -20 from those spares shop. Replacement is also easy just unscrew and screw but make sure it is a cool radiator, if not u will get boiled. If not bring it over to the workshop to let them do it for you.

There are so many places for the coolant to leak.

1. Radiator, cap, petcock, top and bottom hoses

2. Engine cooling jacket leaked into the engine, head gasket - check if you have smoke from exhaust

3. Heater core hoses.

Mine drip out from the heater core side, until I install another clamp to tighten it.

↡ Advertisement