HOW LONG CAN SINGAPORE-REGISTERED CAR REMAIN IN MALAYSIA?

Fashionista

I am planning to spend a few months in Malaysia. Can anyone advise me how long can I drive my Singapore-registered car in Malaysia? I have checked with LTA; there is no problem on their side be it for normal cars or OPC cars. They have no idea regarding the laws & regulations on the Malaysian side. Do I have to pay to drive my Singapore-registered car beyond a certain duration??

↡ Advertisement

I think your car be driven in m'sian for as long as you are allowed to stay. My late uncle used to live in KL most of the time & drive his s'pote registered car.

I am planning to spend a few months in Malaysia. Can anyone advise me how long can I drive my Singapore-registered car in Malaysia? I have checked with LTA; there is no problem on their side be it for normal cars or OPC cars. They have no idea regarding the laws & regulations on the Malaysian side. Do I have to pay to drive my Singapore-registered car beyond a certain duration??

AFAIK there's no issue. The malaysians comeing to singapore have a limit (as in free days) as our govt is basically charging them a sum to keep our roads less congested. Think of it as CoE paid by the day for them.

you can drive your car as long as you stay in msia legally.

30 days for normal visit and longer than that need a visa right ?

if you are msian and spore pr, then no problem la :D

Edited by Wt_know

Thanks to all for comments. I am hoping more forumers can share their experience coz I can't find any info on any M'sian website. If anyone has any official info, it would be helpful! Just want to be sure. Don't want to get into trouble in M'sia.

Turbocharged

Thanks to all for comments. I am hoping more forumers can share their experience coz I can't find any info on any M'sian website. If anyone has any official info, it would be helpful! Just want to be sure. Don't want to get into trouble in M'sia.

dont need any "official" site lar.. as long u enter legally, u can stay/drive there as long as your validity. .... [grin]

Don't think there is a time period but for reasons like vehicle inspection due to road tax, the car has to be back for the inspection. Got Malaysia friends who had S'pore registered cars and bikes who does this.

Neutral Newbie

Don't worry lah. Boleh land not as strict as Singapore. Any issues crop up, can also "settle" with them on the spot [:)]

yes, u hv 2enter bolehland legally.

make sure u hv valid roadtax/ insurance doc wit u at all times.

insurance is valid 5Omiles?? / km?? fr last border of bolehland boundary, pressume u may want 2visit southern part of Thailand [gorgeous] .

keep some small loose "agong heads" for incase only. [pirate]

pleasant stay [drivingcar] , & hv fun yar [gorgeous]

Thanks all for help. I recall some time back, there was some post abt driving OPC car in M'sia, that it's subject to the same rules here. Is it true?

oh yah you might wnna know this piece of info...

the laws & regulations on the Malaysian side changes as and when the authorities deem fit... just pay a bit of $ to olve any unpleasant encounters...

[laugh]

Thanks all for help. I recall some time back, there was some post abt driving OPC car in M'sia, that it's subject to the same rules here. Is it true?

one of boleh lnd's ministers wanted to charge our OPC cars extra for using during office hours in JB... their milkmaids aka malaysian TPs, also tried to milk the OPC cars... but no more OPC issues in MY in a long time liao...

by the way if you staying really long, maybe you might consider a MY plate car? better in terms of 'blending' in with the crowd there maybe? just a thought.

Neutral Newbie

No problem driving OPC in Msia. I know people who stay in KL but driving OPC.

Buying Msian plate may not be good idea, I think we are not allowed to drive Msian plate car back to Spore. Can anyone confirm this?

Buying Msian plate may not be good idea, I think we are not allowed to drive Msian plate car back to Spore. Can anyone confirm this?

If you're a Singaporean or SPR, confirm cum chop CANNOT.

No problem driving OPC in Msia. I know people who stay in KL but driving OPC.

mabe not buy but rent or smthing.. anyways too much hasle unless yo staying a year or more i guess.. [:)]

in SG.... Singaporeans and PRs can only drive SG plate cars... you can find more info at one.motoring.com

my bro-in-law malaysian, used to drive his MY car into SG till he got his PR couldnt do it anymore...

↡ Advertisement