Engine brake

Edminski

Does all cars have engine brake?

My new ride dont have engine brake (By right when i release my accelerator, engine brake will apply and slow down the car. But apparently my speed still remains the same). Wondering is all cars have engine brake or only some cars?

Help :wacko:

↡ Advertisement

If I'm not wrong the engine brake effect on auto cars is less apparent than manual cars, especially at higher speeds. I did notice when driving an auto van recently for the first time that I had to rely more on the brake pedal than my usual style with manual vehicles. In manual cars, engine brake is strongest on lower gears and much reduced on high gear.

If coming down a long slope which requires engine braking (not common scenario in Singapore) the gear should be shifted into L or 2, otherwise the transmission might shift up by itself and your brakes will overheat and fade if you keep braking to make up for the lack of engine brake.

Edited by Bicolor

If I'm not wrong the engine brake effect on auto cars is less apparent than manual cars, especially at higher speeds. I did notice when driving an auto van recently for the first time that I had to rely more on the brake pedal than my usual style with manual vehicles. In manual cars, engine brake is strongest on lower gears and much reduced on high gear.

If coming down a long slope which requires engine braking (not common scenario in Singapore) the gear should be shifted into L or 2, otherwise the transmission might shift up by itself and your brakes will overheat and fade if you keep braking to make up for the lack of engine brake.

thanks bro for your reply. i just did a search on "Engine brake" and most people say the same thing too...

i thought my ride is defective so i kan jeong, i thought my engine got problem [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

thanks bro for your reply. i just did a search on "Engine brake" and most people say the same thing too...

i thought my ride is defective so i kan jeong, i thought my engine got problem [sweatdrop]

May I ask your driving instructor from school or private?

May I ask your driving instructor from school or private?

my instructor is 10 years ago from BBDC..last time was manual car

Same for me, once off the accelerator , on comes the engine brake at an instant. That is one of the reason why I still prefer manual over auto.

Same for me, once off the accelerator , on comes the engine brake at an instant. That is one of the reason why I still prefer manual over auto.

hmmm...manual....left leg must be strong.......else kena long jam which frequently ocurred during peak hr...buay tahan [laugh]

Edited by York

This will depend on what auto car you drive, good and more expensive auto car have better and more intelligent transmission gear ratio control.

And as one forumer had replied, to have more engine braking, just shift down to lower gear like L3 orL2 in auto.

My new ride dont have engine brake (By right when i release my accelerator, engine brake will apply and slow down the car. But apparently my speed still remains the same). Wondering is all cars have engine brake or only some cars?

It depends on the gearbox software programming by the car manufacturer for auto car.

Neutral Newbie

your car should slow down albeit very gradually. if it doesn't, you might just have the worlds most economical car... can maintain speed without stepping on the loud pedal. :D

(edited)

your car should slow down albeit very gradually. if it doesn't, you might just have the worlds most economical car... can maintain speed without stepping on the loud pedal. :D

i think you misunderstood my question

I am talking about the "few seconds" after i release my accelerator

If i release my accelerator for about 3 seconds, my speedometer doesnt change at all.

Of cos if i release it longer, it will slow down after it moved for some distance

Edited by Edminski

Maybe ur cruise control was switched on... lol

i cant find the cruise control button on my car..i dont think my car has this feature ^_^

If i release my accelerator for about 3 seconds, my speedometer doesnt change at all.

Of cos if i release it longer, it will slow down after it moved for some distance

My car was borned in 2002. When i release accelerator, it is still cruising over a prolong period.

what type of auto? CVT? Single clutch? dual clutch?

even with an auto box, the higher the rpm you are at when u release your gas pedal, the more engine braking you shd experience. Eg, cruising at 90km/h at 2k rpm, when you release, there shdnt be much engine braking whereas at 50km/h at 5k rpm, once you release your gas, your car will jerk. the effect is due to the difference in the iding speed (< 1000rpms) and the current operating speed of your engine.

Neutral Newbie

well it should slow down the very instant you release the pedal. maybe your car has a very low coefficient of drag, so it doesnt decelerate quickly. if you want the engine braking, just downshift to the next lower gear and voila...

↡ Advertisement