Anyone into laopok Mercs?

Lethalstrike

The W124 is indeed an overengineered Merc. Some many examples are still running around in Singapore, even though they are already more than 15 years old.

Sometimes i cant help but wonder how come this W124 could have had a Cd of 0.28? Generally Cd is co-related to the cross-sectional area of the car and no way do i think the W124 look svelte or sleek or anything like that. My conclusion is that it must have featured vortex minimising technology e.g. rear diffusers (er maybe). Oh and that queer single wiper design. To think that the engineers at Mercs went to great lengths just for a wiper lol [thumbsup]

Sometimes i cant help but wonder how come this W124 could have had a Cd of 0.28? Generally Cd is co-related to the cross-sectional area of the car and no way do i think the W124 look svelte or sleek or anything like that. My conclusion is that it must have featured vortex minimising technology e.g. rear diffusers (er maybe). Oh and that queer single wiper design. To think that the engineers at Mercs went to great lengths just for a wiper lol [thumbsup]

Yeah, it was quite revolutionary for the W124 to achieve a drag coefficient of 0.28 despite its seemingly blocky design. You have to examine the details to see why it is so... [cool]

A lot of the innovation which attribute to the wind-cheating design were incorporated within the undercarriage of the W124. Just under the front bumper, you might be able to spot a piece of hard plastic which looked like a sump guard, but in fact, its meant to smoothen out the frontal airflow under the car.

The monstrous single wiper itself is another conversation starter. The sweep of it is quite unusual as it starts from the right, dips down a little during mid-sweep, then extends slightly to sweep the top left corner the windscreen. This shows that the engineers were concerned about visibility during adverse conditions, as the Germans do need to travel at high speeds at the Autobahn from time to time.

And if you noticed, there is a slight upward kink at the top part of the bonnet which hides the wiper itself when it is put to rest. It is done for aerodynamic reasons and some new cars such as the Audi A4 have a similar kink to hide the wipers as well.

I so want to get that W113 and drive it to another Retrolicious concert :wub:

There're quite a few W124 mercs at the carpark around my block. They've been here since I was a kid!

Neutral Newbie

Finally, great to see a thread abt these over engineered beauties. Just some observations. E w124 from 86 to 88 were carb while 89 to 92 used bosch mechanical fuel injection (8v). From 93 to 95, used e 16v electronically fuel injected engine. Maintain wise, 8v cheaper to maintain n run but less power n slightly higher fc although most ppl I know r able to get 9+ km/l. I have a 91 8v.

Just an eg of e maintain cost. 16v ecu costs over 1k to replace while 8v has no real edu but just a trigger box or ignition control module. Original Bosch abt $200, own which I bought recently is abt $55. These cars r cheap to maintain m can last for a really long time but be warned. regular servicing is a must to prevent future proba from cropping up. If u treat e car well, it will be able to serve u well for a v long time.

Finally, great to see a thread abt these over engineered beauties. Just some observations. E w124 from 86 to 88 were carb while 89 to 92 used bosch mechanical fuel injection (8v). From 93 to 95, used e 16v electronically fuel injected engine. Maintain wise, 8v cheaper to maintain n run but less power n slightly higher fc although most ppl I know r able to get 9+ km/l. I have a 91 8v.

Just an eg of e maintain cost. 16v ecu costs over 1k to replace while 8v has no real edu but just a trigger box or ignition control module. Original Bosch abt $200, own which I bought recently is abt $55. These cars r cheap to maintain m can last for a really long time but be warned. regular servicing is a must to prevent future proba from cropping up. If u treat e car well, it will be able to serve u well for a v long time.

i never heard about mechanical fuel injection? can you talk more about it? maybe in terms of A/F ratio management and power gains?

Neutral Newbie

Nor too sure abt wat u mean by af ratio. I assume it's airflow. E mech injection models have got to be tuned manually to adjust how rich e petrol mixture would be. Also, timing of e spark plugs r governed by e distributor cap which is controlled by e ignition control module ($55 'ecu')

Neutral Newbie

I am interested in w210 e200

Bro, not sure if u realized it but there r now far fewer w210s than w124s. Main reason being that e build quality was not v good in e 210. Also, they tended to rust more than their predecessor cos e 124 chassis was dipped in anti corrosive treatment, a process which was later deemed unsuitable for e environment n hence, discontinued. However, if u really got your heart set on a 210, try to get a post 99 one as most of e earlier peons would have been more sorted out. For me, e oh good thing Abt a 210 is that it comes with rear ac.

I like W124 and 190E.

You can find some more here:

http://www.mercnews.net/classics/

my dad had the 190E "special". 2 liters.

even as a kid, i knew that this merc drove well. was looking forward to drive it when i passed my license but he changed to camry abt 8 years ago so no such luck.

it's pickup was really slow though. slower than my former getz 1.1 believe it or not.

Neutral Newbie

Honestly, e w123 n 124 were prob some of e best old mercs ever built. E models that follwed were after mb's merger with Chrysler. That led to more cost cutting measures as opposed to more reliable cars. Another fantastic model which is cheap to maintain would be e w126. These cars can run b well for a long time as their mechanicals r v sound. Just make sure u do your research into these cars before buying one so u will know some of e potential probs to look out for. There's alot of info abt these cars on e net so just google it. N don't believe e ridiculous mileage figures u see. Some dealers will tell I that e car has only done less than 200k miles. While this is certainly possible, most cars would have gone in excess of 300 k km. I know some guys in sh whose cars have crossed e 500k mark n they drive better than most 30k gap cars (no offense to anyone).

Edited by Mr_w124

Nor too sure abt wat u mean by af ratio. I assume it's airflow. E mech injection models have got to be tuned manually to adjust how rich e petrol mixture would be. Also, timing of e spark plugs r governed by e distributor cap which is controlled by e ignition control module ($55 'ecu')

Cos i thought there is only carburettors or Electronic fuel injectors (EFI). My bad i was referring to Air Fuel ratio for AF.

For W124, recommended to get 16V fuel inject model from '93 to '95.

Those 8V carb examples from '88 to '92 are more problematic .

8V carb is more reliable bro. it is a complete over-engineered in term of mechanical and sensor connection. 16V got quite a number of electronic stuff that may be problematic instead.

Woah, 1k for the 16V ECU.

I assume its just the cost for the ECU without installation or labour?

8V carb is more reliable bro. it is a complete over-engineered in term of mechanical and sensor connection. 16V got quite a number of electronic stuff that may be problematic instead.

Agreed,esp the wire harness...

Resurrecting an old thread. Posted in mercs board but slow traffic there.

Hi guys, where is your preferred stockist for genuine or oem parts?

Is TJ autocare at Alexander village good with mercs repair? I know they are good with Jag n Volvo.

Thanks in advance.