Need advice on Langkawi Trip

Freeman

Hi All, anyone familiar with Langkawi?

I will be bring my family of 4 for a short holiday in Dec.

I've booked the flight but arriving time will be 8pm. Thinking of renting a car for our stay there, but feel that it will be quite a waste for the 1st night. So likely to take a taxi to hotel upon arrival.

Do the taxi there go by meter?

If not do they chop carrot when they see me & my family arriving so late with no other option?

Thanks!

Edited by Freeman
↡ Advertisement

No need to rent, just ask the hotel to arrange a chartered van to ferry you around the island for a day.

I haven't choose my hotel yet.

All got this service?

Any hotel provide airport to hotel transfer?

I haven't choose my hotel yet.

All got this service?

Any hotel provide airport to hotel transfer?

stayed at the berjaya resort...i think was quite ex...800 ringgit a night... facing the sea. But really worth every cents....beautiful....

my suggestion - rent a car and drive ard....its only 80 ringgit a day if i am not wrong...just book 1 at the airport...its so easy to drive in there...do rem to go to the mathatter musem...all the gifts from the countries are stored there

regarding taxi...no worries, just go the airport counter and purchase a coupon....no need to worry abt cut carrot

Edited by Estrangable

Hi All,

I am planning family holiday (7 adults) at Langkawi, intent to rent a 7 seat MPV for transportation, can anyone advise for this kind of car rental on the island, thanks

Langkawi is a very easy place to drive. When I was there about 4 years back, I didn't prebook. Just went and book from airport counter. Not exp. 

but if you wanna check, this is the 3rd party site I've been using for my last few trips 

https://www.economycarrentals.com

Where is your hotel ? Make sure hotel has ample parking. Pantai Cenang strip can get rather crowded even though can park on roadside for free

8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm trying to book a year end trip last minute-ish. anyone has any recommendations for langkawi?

i suppose you're flying up?

i was staying at the area near the ferry terminal on the mainland a few years ago as i was attending a wedding there. I thought of going across to Langkawi as a friend there said the roads are hilly and nice to drive but the ferry ticket cost to bring my car over was really expensive given i wasn't planning to stay overnight, so i decided to go directly into Thai instead 😄

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

i suppose you're flying up?

i was staying at the area near the ferry terminal on the mainland a few years ago as i was attending a wedding there. I thought of going across to Langkawi as a friend there said the roads are hilly and nice to drive but the ferry ticket cost to bring my car over was really expensive given i wasn't planning to stay overnight, so i decided to go directly into Thai instead 😄

Yup driving up and planning to rent a car. Probably staying near Kuah which is where the jetty is at? 

Seems like quite a family friendly destination. 

Hopefully monsoon season will be kind in late Nov. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

On 9/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Lala81 said:

Yup driving up and planning to rent a car. Probably staying near Kuah which is where the jetty is at? 

Seems like quite a family friendly destination. 

Hopefully monsoon season will be kind in late Nov. 

how was your trip and car rental experience? i only saw your food pics in the makan thread. 

29 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

how was your trip and car rental experience? i only saw your food pics in the makan thread. 

Oh ok. haha today I'm quite free so maybe write a mini review.

Ok took Airasia flight in. Scoot only flies in alternate days. Langkawi airport is very small. Similar to like Krabi airport in size. No aerobridge type. 

Car Rental is done via Klook. It's about 25-30 dollars per day for smaller vehicles (Axia to Vios/City/Bezza interchangeable). Fuss free nowadays with whatsapp. Their airport pickup is just a guy will pass the car to you at the airport pick up area. 

Lol the cash deposit is RM $100 in case you don't top up petrol to Full tank or got damage the car. Rented my vios for 5 days. Returned at Saturday early morning. Had to wait for the guy to come pick up the car before i could go through Immigration. 

Vios is not a fun car to drive. Understeers quite significantly and the steering feel is pretty poor.  But it has a big boot for a subcompact sedan and aircon is cold! Lol. 

Langkawi is super easy to drive in. Typical malaysian roads.

There is 1 coastal stretch of road which is pretty stellar to drive in. It's between where u get off the highway between Kuah and the airport, going towards pantai cenang. But the part where u separate to go to the jetty for island hopping is the best. The road there is super new and along the coast. Almost feels like Great Ocean road/driving in NZ South Island.

Its this road between 167 and this jetty parked with a star. 

IMG20221121130752_lbPWsdhR2o.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-12-02-14-15-48-11_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

Stayed in the Westin near Kuah jetty. It's not cheap, $300+ per night with Breakfast. Best hotel/resort I've stayed in.
Really feels like an island paradise here. But this is not a place for beaches. There aren't much sandy beaches in langkawi due to the geography.

Recommended by my uncle who's been going to Langkawi for many years. 

Problem with Westin is that Kuah is far from everything except the Dataran Lang/Eagle Square. Honestly Kuah town is just like any other run down malaysian town and probably even worse. Eagle Square is ok, but the surrounding area is very chui.

For Kuah which is the biggest town in langkawi, u don't even get a proper supermarket there. There are some 5 ringgit dollar shops that are what passes for supermarkets in the area. 
The food there is pretty lackluster also. I tried 3 different seafood restaurants/zhi char. Just passable. 

Pantai Cenang is where more budget friendly options are available. If u just want to enjoy langkawi's attractions and don't care so much about the hotel/resort, I would stay there. Cos Underwater world is there, pickup to go island hopping and the cable car is not that far. 

For me from Kuah, it's about a 50min drive to the cable car and 35mins to Pantai Cenang. 

IMG20221125182651_vfhhndeC91.jpeg

IMG20221125182700_vXAdwZH50v.jpeg

IMG20221125182640_83SD7TZ52f.jpeg

IMG20221121145209_5LwQIdJZ2X.jpeg

IMG20221121145156_dWkx6TDv7b.jpeg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 6

Klook is the best way to get tickets for everything in langkawi. They have this langkawi pass which covers up to 4 destinations/activities.

Also got sunset cruise (more for adults etc), Klim mangrove tour which i didn't go for. 

I did Underwater world, SkyCab (cable car), Wildlife Park and Island hopping. All cheap and good experiences. Spent only about $180 SGD for 2A2C. Damn cheap compared to other countries man. Even if their underwater world is bit old, but still pretty ok lah for like what 8-10 dollars per pax.

Langkawi is super good for families i feel. Enough things to see/entertain young kids. My kids really liked it. 

Screenshot_2022-12-02-14-38-27-90_42b26ec887580784f3590c892a435777.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Oh ok. haha today I'm quite free so maybe write a mini review.

Ok took Airasia flight in. Scoot only flies in alternate days. Langkawi airport is very small. Similar to like Krabi airport in size. No aerobridge type. 

Car Rental is done via Klook. It's about 25-30 dollars per day for smaller vehicles (Axia to Vios/City/Bezza interchangeable). Fuss free nowadays with whatsapp. Their airport pickup is just a guy will pass the car to you at the airport pick up area. 

Lol the cash deposit is RM $100 in case you don't top up petrol to Full tank or got damage the car. Rented my vios for 5 days. Returned at Saturday early morning. Had to wait for the guy to come pick up the car before i could go through Immigration. 

Vios is not a fun car to drive. Understeers quite significantly and the steering feel is pretty poor.  But it has a big boot for a subcompact sedan and aircon is cold! Lol. 

Langkawi is super easy to drive in. Typical malaysian roads.

There is 1 coastal stretch of road which is pretty stellar to drive in. It's between where u get off the highway between Kuah and the airport, going towards pantai cenang. But the part where u separate to go to the jetty for island hopping is the best. The road there is super new and along the coast. Almost feels like Great Ocean road/driving in NZ South Island.

Its this road between 167 and this jetty parked with a star. 

IMG20221121130752_lbPWsdhR2o.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-12-02-14-15-48-11_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Car rental in msia is cheap. When i go to Penang, usually i would rent a car there to get around. And wanted to rent manual car but too bad no manual car. So far i rented perodua cars, cheap and good. Lol.

Surprisingly you find vios steering feel is poor? Thought Toyota cars usually drive is quite ok? 

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Car rental in msia is cheap. When i go to Penang, usually i would rent a car there to get around. And wanted to rent manual car but too bad no manual car. So far i rented perodua cars, cheap and good. Lol.

Surprisingly you find vios steering feel is poor? Thought Toyota cars usually drive is quite ok? 

U get used to it lor. Vios really understeer a lot lah. U go bit faster round a bend u can feel it understeer already. 

For a difference of $5-10 dollars a day, i'd rather trust japanese product for crash protection. 

But if u are a couple, yeah go for a perodua Axia. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

For Kuah which is the biggest town in langkawi, u don't even get a proper supermarket there. There are some 5 ringgit dollar shops that are what passes for supermarkets in the area. 
The food there is pretty lackluster also. I tried 3 different seafood restaurants/zhi char. Just passable. 

Pantai Cenang is where more budget friendly options are available. If u just want to enjoy langkawi's attractions and don't care so much about the hotel/resort, I would stay there. Cos Underwater world is there, pickup to go island hopping and the cable car is not that far. 

For me from Kuah, it's about a 50min drive to the cable car and 35mins to Pantai Cenang. 

mahathir's fault, never take care of his own hometown [mad]  [laugh]

• Haha! 7