Strategies on buying used car

Cook1234

Conti u need a mech experienced with conti. Many ah beng mech even have trouble with BnB jap cars. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I also tot of getting an old Merc(COE) but my regular mech not that good in them n he told me so. Thats why I never get.

I go to RDY Autocare with my Fiat

↡ Advertisement

I would like to share my experience pertaining to this.

I bought a 2nd 2006 Toyota Vios 1.5E FL in March 2009.

It was 42000KM of millage.

Before paying for deposit, I called Borneo Motors, asked for the last SERVICING and was advised 35000KM and highlighted that I am buying this as a Second hand car.

Alright, good, I thought it's good, agent serviced.

After collecting the car, I went to Borneo Sin Ming for a 40000KM servicing just because I just collected the car, I want to assure the condition.

The receipt given to me was with the Previous owner's Name, Full address, and his Contact number..

I DID mentioned before dropping the key with them that I am the new owner, update my particular.

I still have it with me, and I can slap Borneo Motor with that receipt with what they mentioned above.

Well, went back a few time and was very disgruntled with their quality of service, I went to have my servicing done outside.

This workshop I went, happens to be the workshop where the previous owner of my Vios went, to do his 10K, 20K, 30K & 40K servicing, promptly.

I smell something fishy, so I went down to Borneo Motors Bukit Batok Vicom to find out more about that 35K "Servicing" done there.

To my horror, it's a $7000 ACCIDENT REPAIR at the millage 35000KM.

I asked for details of the repair, they say: Sorry, we delete and destroy any information that happens more than one year ago.

Fine, forget it!

Well, I didn't persist on the matter, given the fact that the car has been serving me well with no after effect of accident.

But seeing this message from Borneo Motors, I feels dammm......

Borneo Motors, perhaps they don't walk their talk!

Whatever Ms Alison Ong mentioned above, I don't seems to see it at all, NOT at all.

Until today, I still thinking of calling the previous owner to find out what accident he have en-counted with the car.

Puzzled:

No mention 35,000 km servicing done by BN, so why you thought: Alright, good, agent serviced?

No mention official confirmation to be bona fide report/record?

No mention why you got so much confidence with used car salespeople/AD, other than Champion Motors.

these are some of the advise when getting a 2nd hand car..

1) bring it to the workshop you trusted for a comprehensive checkpup- A must

2) try to get manual transmission, or at most 4A/T if you want auto, avoid DSG, CVT or other newer gen gearbox...

things you shouldnt get confused:

a) millage- doesnt means anything, The millage could be easily adjested...so long the ex-owner take care of it, it should be fine, to verify, refer to point 1.

b) new painwork- new painwork doesnt means that the car is new or properly maintained, it could be respray due to accident poor maintainance of car exterior. once the vehicle is bought, you can respray it...

c) minor dent or scratches- its normal given the fact that our carpark is small and tight. Its almost impossible to get a car without coin dent unless its only a few mths old, or something was done on it.

d)

Neutral Newbie

Got strategy to save on buying used car using these quidelines:

OK. NOTED THE VARIOUS INPUTS AND REPLIES. LET ME QUALIFY MY STATEMENTS.

NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE, IT'S JUST PURELY MY VIEW AND I DUN ACCEPT ANY LOSS ON ANYBOPDY'S PART BY FOLLOWING THESE WAYS.

1) buy a parf car with about 3 years left to go> so that there's not much money the dealer can mark up anyway. NO OF YEARS LET CANNOT BE FAKED.

2) go for mileage about 10-15kpa. <10k pa is too underutilized and may pose other problems.

3) go for agent serviced. SIMPLY PRETEND TO BE RELATIVE OF OWNER AND WANTING TO BOOK NEXT SERVICE.>> THAT,S HOW U GET THE GENUINE MILEAGE.

4) preferably 1 owner and parked in sheltered place.

CAN EASILY FIND OUT BASED ON PLASTICS ON CAR. CAR PARKED IN SUN FOR YEARS ARE VERY OBVIOUS. PLASTICS WILL FLAKE OUT.

5) prepare not to take loan so that 1) dealer cannot make m

oney for loan 2) can get rid of car anything if not happy or if any major defect without suffering any loss from early loan settlement because value of car is near paper value anyway.

LOAN PART WILL DEPEND ON OWN'S FINANCIAL. SUCH THINGS HARD TO SAY.

If bros and sis notice that in ST advertised are usually newer cars, thus much can be marked up on price and dealer can make on loan also. Dealers don't mind advertising bacause they stand to make a lot if deal is realised.

So sgcarmart is the place to go to looks for such good value cars if bros and sis scrutise hard enough.

Just my humble view and may not suit everyone, especially those looking for cars with latest features etc.

JUST MY HUMBLE VIEW. I WELCOME VIEWS. OBVIOUSLY WE GET BETTER BY LEARNING FROM EACH OTHER.

You make it sounds like cars here are all factory surplus stocks (usually applicable to some local made cars). I ever owned car with less than a thousand dollars spent on maintenance cost (servicing, replacement for brake pads, tire, shock-absorbers) over more than 9 years.

Well, you are lucky to have bought a super reliable car, 9 years and less than 1k spent on all maintenance, replacement of tires, shocks and pads appears impossible in today's high inflation environment. My four shocks already cost more than $2k at AD, what car is it?

Not sure what you are driving at on locally made cars and surplus stocks but in general, cars give few problems in the first few years of its existence on the roads but things like aircon, shocks, sensors, fuel pumps, etc. can and do breakdown, from my experience. 5th or 6th years (100k and above mileage) is quite the norm.

For me, I am more concerned about the condition of the car than other things like price, dealer fees/insurance etc....

This is because its most important to have a reliable car and not have any major issues after that (other than regular maintenance).

Thus I will check the car carefully for any major signs of accidents. Its almost impossible to a car to be accident free so minor accidents are ok for me. No welding marks on major beams. Those are signs of major accidents.

Then make sure there is no rust on the chassis esp undercarriage and its w/o any major scratches/dents (minor ones could be cause by humps).

Of course, must test drive the car, the engine and transmission etc.

I will get the car even though it cost more than other ones around provided its not overly priced. As I said, condition of car is more important than anything else. No point getting what it seems as the best deal out there and the car turns out to be a lemon. Then you spend more time on repairs instead.

At 40k major servicing, i had spent ard 2k replacing the wear and tear parts (Brake Pads, 4L engine oil, brake fluid, transmission oil, alternator, filter) plus a through servicing on the Aircon, flushing and all... it does feel good after that..(maybe its a illusion) feels that the car is back to 90% of its condition... hahahaha

(edited)

Well, you are lucky to have bought a super reliable car, 9 years and less than 1k spent on all maintenance, replacement of tires, shocks and pads appears impossible in today's high inflation environment. My four shocks already cost more than $2k at AD, what car is it?

Not sure what you are driving at on locally made cars and surplus stocks but in general, cars give few problems in the first few years of its existence on the roads but things like aircon, shocks, sensors, fuel pumps, etc. can and do breakdown, from my experience. 5th or 6th years (100k and above mileage) is quite the norm.

Suzuki 800 (inclusive of clutch replacement). The shock-absorbers (rear) bought at $32/- non original brand (Monroe if I recall correctly).

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Suzuki 800 (inclusive of clutch replacement). The shock-absorbers (rear) bought at $32/- non original brand (Monroe if I recall correctly).

$32 for shocks, I am impressed. Did you DIY?

They are trained to see body language.

Dont show interested.

Dont wear expensive clothings, watches, shoe, etc- they got eagle eyes to spot these things.

dun show interested.

i'll say these are decent tips. a lot of us overlook the 7-year old pool of cars. but hidden among them are good deals. and you can change car every 3 years.

Puzzled:

No mention 35,000 km servicing done by BN, so why you thought: Alright, good, agent serviced?

No mention official confirmation to be bona fide report/record?

No mention why you got so much confidence with used car salespeople/AD, other than Champion Motors.

1) I called Borneo Motors to ask for latest Servicing done, They tell me it's 35000KM.

It is me or them? Is Accident Repair = Servicing? Huh?

2) Sorry pardon me for my limited Vocab, I have all black and whites to prove that Borneo Motors Do Not really protect previous owner's details. It's archived in my pile of mess 2.5 Years back, I need to search and I wish to share here! Need some time this weekend to find.

3) Champion Motors? Since when did I mention Champion Motors?

So much confident? Let me share with you this also.

I forced the salesman to bring the car to STA Used Car Evaluation before dropping a $1000 deposit based on a A grading. No mention of signs of Accident, which I myself can see with my naked eyes after learning so much on cars for the past 3-4 years.

↡ Advertisement