Rag & Bone Man

Jtb

6th Gear

I have been leaving old newspapers at the doorstep fortnightly for this rag & bone man to collect.

Lately we met and was told that he is going to Europe for 2 weeks holidays!!!

Gave him a thumb up for his hard work, after much struggle with all this collection.

↡ Advertisement

Not too sure how much the rag & bone man makes.

But something related, at my previous place at Sengkang, one of the ground floor flat stays a karang guni man with his family. I think he is the boss cos every afternoon, there will be 3 lorries parked at the driveway and a few workers would be sorting out the items they collected. Newspaper will all be moved to one lorry. Electronics like TVs, fridges etc to another lorry. The boss will be there watching and supervising.

I think he makes good money cos he changed his car every year. First was a Civic 2 litre. Then an Accord. Then a Merc C Class.

4th Gear

Why not? My regular in the force resigned and joined this trade......now driving big car...... [laugh]

(edited)

i'll ask the difficult questions.

how much is that rag and bone employee paid? how much is fair?

making handsome profits off the sweat and toil of the old uneducated uncle?

ditto to the cleaning companies.

some call it entrepreneurial. a keen eye for opportunities.

frankly, exploitation.

Edited by Tonyhawk

depends taking simi items

my friend cleared a resort of furniture,1 week work, pay the 'outsource' labour about $6k,4-5 of them iirc

they are difficult questions bro.

no easy answers.

the elite like to use terms like "value-add".

so what is the value add, other than being an administrative middle man?

Can even hook up with SIA girl. Ask Constance Chee.

that one sad story... the daughter died in hospital from the fall.

Turbocharged

frankly, exploitation.

i guess this business can thrive because of the said "taking advantage" of the old uncles? but its a free country, not like north korea bro ... uncle can still find other job tio bo? maybe work at macdonalds or something. i know bosses who squeeze their employees but they still pay extra bonus etc ... since we dont know the full picture, hard to assume. for all you know, he drive merc but he still take care of his guys .. thats why they stay with him?

(lastly, "fairness" is when both parties think they've gotten the better deal from the other, i suppose. yes, i can be overly optimistic in my thinking sometimes :P lol)

There's a lot of "gold" in typical Singapore junks.

Literally gold.... I see someone extracting gold from all those old PC at his work place before, good money! 1 ounce is near to 1.4k USD!

i guess this business can thrive because of the said "taking advantage" of the old uncles? but its a free country, not like north korea bro ... uncle can still find other job tio bo? maybe work at macdonalds or something. i know bosses who squeeze their employees but they still pay extra bonus etc ... since we dont know the full picture, hard to assume. for all you know, he drive merc but he still take care of his guys .. thats why they stay with him?

(lastly, "fairness" is when both parties think they've gotten the better deal from the other, i suppose. yes, i can be overly optimistic in my thinking sometimes :P lol)

yup, the free market should sort itself out. im not sure it actually does, and if it does, quickly enough or not.

as for bosses, yes there are good bosses and bad ones. can we do more to get rid of bad ones?

there are no answers to fairness. i think fairness, can only be decided by onlookers, rather than those involved in the transaction.

frankly, exploitation.

... and such "entrepreneurs" will say "I didnt point a gun to the head of these uncles to work for me.... its a free market. If they are not happy, they can quit anytime" [:(][:(][:(]

will we ever have a minimum wage policy?

yup, the free market should sort itself out. im not sure it actually does, and if it does, quickly enough or not.

as for bosses, yes there are good bosses and bad ones. can we do more to get rid of bad ones?

there are no answers to fairness. i think fairness, can only be decided by onlookers, rather than those involved in the transaction.

Actually NTUC can/should take care of this, if these uncles were unionised?

↡ Advertisement