Mazda 5 - requesting owners feedback

Dgeralds

I'm considering Mazda 5. Can current owners provide general feed back? How about fuel consumption? If anybody bought it recently, what additions did you managed to get? Today's price is 129,000, 3 yrs or 100,000 km (whichever first) warranty. Thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hi bro

mine was the older non-skyactive version. doing around 11km/litre 70% highway (heavy footed)

I'm sure sky-active will do better. just check out those mazda 6 skyactive cars from this forum.

basically I have been driving mazda for almost 10 years now previously i was on m3.

so far so good no complains..

• Praise 4

Hi bro

mine was the older non-skyactive version. doing around 11km/litre 70% highway (heavy footed)

I'm sure sky-active will do better. just check out those mazda 6 skyactive cars from this forum.

basically I have been driving mazda for almost 10 years now previously i was on m3.

so far so good no complains..

Is M5 coming out with a sky-active model?

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I'm considering Mazda 5. Can current owners provide general feed back? How about fuel consumption? If anybody bought it recently, what additions did you managed to get? Today's price is 129,000, 3 yrs or 100,000 km (whichever first) warranty. Thank you.

Mz5 is a good car - very reliable, sharp steering, etc. [thumbsup] I was among the 1st batch of buyers when it first came out in 2005. Till today, the DNA has remained pretty much the same. [;)]

But therein lies the problem - the current Mz5 looks and feel like a 2005 product when the competition has moved on.

(edited)

Is M5 coming out with a sky-active model?

The 2014 Model has sky-active as well...

this car is in my consideration... but the stock audio console is so so dated !!!

a console tat can only play CD in the 21st century ??? ( take a look at the new Mazda 3, Mazda 6 or even the Biante)

Edited by Cracker
  • Praise 1

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes the radio console is out dated but they will install a foc touch screen dvd player + navigation. Another gripe about Mazda 5 is that it has only 2 airbags which is surprising. Sill Im rooting for Mazda 5 since i require a car which slightly bigger and be able to carry 6 or 7 once in a while. My current ride COE expires exactly in 12 months and waiting for the right time / COE to go in.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes the radio console is out dated but they will install a foc touch screen dvd player + navigation. Another gripe about Mazda 5 is that it has only 2 airbags which is surprising. Sill Im rooting for Mazda 5 since i require a car which slightly bigger and be able to carry 6 or 7 once in a while. My current ride COE expires exactly in 12 months and waiting for the right time / COE to go in.

oh that will be nice to have the outdated console replaced.

will the control button on the steering wheel work for the new console...

actually the other car I was looking at is the Toyota Noah.. but it is rather boxy and it is from PI ( but it shouldn't be a problem as tat particular PI had been around for a long time...

and it is abt 9-10k more than the Mazda 5. The built in features are good..

Yup,

The car interior somehow lacks the current market style of gadget like

no push start feature etc and radio console which is almost same like 10years ago.

But aftermarket accessories are ready available. I've bought the mounting bracket for touchscreen module from amazon, now sourcing for a good head unit which can mirror-link with our smartphone..

else I'm sure a top-up of around $2k for touchscreen dvd module by Mazda dealer.

Today's car have wonderful features but of course more gadget mean more electronics, it may become a burden in near future..

For mazda wise, the handling and its reliability won me over than interior gadget,

So all boils down to your preference, gadget /handling/ reliability.

Toyota Noah looks like a good car, looks almost same in same big size mpv category like Odyssey and Estima .

Anyway test-drive all the cars and get a feel of it, I'm sure you will find the answer that is of course money no issue :)

cheers!

The 2014 Model has sky-active as well...

this car is in my consideration... but the stock audio console is so so dated !!!

a console tat can only play CD in the 21st century ??? ( take a look at the new Mazda 3, Mazda 6 or even the Biante)

no push start feature etc and radio console which is almost same like 10years ago.

Thanks man. All along I thought Mazda 5 got push start and keyless entry....

back to the drawing boards then...

• Praise 1

(edited)

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/chevy-volt-mini-cooper-countryman-pass-crash-test-mazda-5-fails

Chevy Volt, Mini Cooper Countryman pass crash test, Mazda 5 fails

Reuters | Wednesday, Jul 30, 2014

DETROIT - The General Motors Co Chevrolet Volt was the only one of a dozen small cars tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to earn a "Top Safety Pick+" award, the IIHS said in a statement on Wednesday.

In small front overlap crash tests of a dozen small cars, only BMW AG's Mini Cooper Countryman scored a top-rating of "good" for safety, and the Volt was among five others that scored the second-highest rating of "acceptable", the IIHS said.

The poorest performer was Mazda Motor Corp's Mazda 5 compact minivan. The IIHS said the Mazda 5 had the distinction of being one of the three worst-performing cars since the small overlap crash test was developed in 2012. The others were the Kia Motors Corp Forte small car and the Toyota Motor Corp Prius v, a midsize hybrid.

While the Countryman outperformed the Volt in the small overlap crash test, it was not named a Top Safety Pick+ because it does not have a front crash prevention system.

The Volt has a collision warning system to alert drivers of an imminent front collision. This system is one of two front crash prevention systems in some automobiles, the other being automatic braking, which kicks in without a driver's input when a crash is imminent.

The small front overlap is one of three front crash tests used in the United States. The federal government conducts a full-in front crash test, and the IIHS does a moderate overlap front crash test in which 40 per cent of the vehicle's front hits an object at 40 miles per hour.

In the small overlap crash test, the front quarter of the driver's side hits an object at 40 miles per hour. It is used to simulate a car crossing a centerline and hitting another vehicle, or going off the road and striking an object such as a tree.

As a result of the test, automakers have started to adjust the design and engineering of their cars to get a better score.

The Volt, a plug-in hybrid, scored better than the Nissan Motor Co fully electric Leaf, which was given a "poor"rating in the recent testing.

The IIHS has now tested 32 small cars, including those assessed earlier. The best performer among them was the Mazda 3 sedan and hatchback.

Of the 32 small cars, 19 earned "good" or "acceptable"ratings and 13 earned "marginal" or "poor" ratings

Edited by Watwheels

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/general/story/chevy-volt-mini-cooper-countryman-pass-crash-test-mazda-5-fails

DETROIT - The General Motors Co Chevrolet Volt was the only one of a dozen small cars tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to earn a "Top Safety Pick+" award, the IIHS said in a statement on Wednesday.

In small front overlap crash tests of a dozen small cars, only BMW AG's Mini Cooper Countryman scored a top-rating of "good" for safety, and the Volt was among five others that scored the second-highest rating of "acceptable", the IIHS said.

The poorest performer was Mazda Motor Corp's Mazda 5 compact minivan. The IIHS said the Mazda 5 had the distinction of being one of the three worst-performing cars since the small overlap crash test was developed in 2012. The others were the Kia Motors Corp Forte small car and the Toyota Motor Corp Prius v, a midsize hybrid.

While the Countryman outperformed the Volt in the small overlap crash test, it was not named a Top Safety Pick+ because it does not have a front crash prevention system.

The Volt has a collision warning system to alert drivers of an imminent front collision. This system is one of two front crash prevention systems in some automobiles, the other being automatic braking, which kicks in without a driver's input when a crash is imminent.

The small front overlap is one of three front crash tests used in the United States. The federal government conducts a full-in front crash test, and the IIHS does a moderate overlap front crash test in which 40 per cent of the vehicle's front hits an object at 40 miles per hour.

In the small overlap crash test, the front quarter of the driver's side hits an object at 40 miles per hour. It is used to simulate a car crossing a centerline and hitting another vehicle, or going off the road and striking an object such as a tree.

As a result of the test, automakers have started to adjust the design and engineering of their cars to get a better score.

The Volt, a plug-in hybrid, scored better than the Nissan Motor Co fully electric Leaf, which was given a "poor"rating in the recent testing.

The IIHS has now tested 32 small cars, including those assessed earlier. The best performer among them was the Mazda 3 sedan and hatchback.

Of the 32 small cars, 19 earned "good" or "acceptable"ratings and 13 earned "marginal" or "poor" ratings

Thanks for the info.

time to bang table...

[furious]

Turbocharged
On 7/30/2014 at 2:20 PM, Zilojian said:

time to bang table...

[furious]

above mazda5 crash test compared to below hyundai genesis test... can see the mazda windscreen & plastic flying into the cabin & why side airbags are so important despite wat many say its not necessary. the genesis windscreen didnt break as much n driver seemed better protected

(edited)

I realise that the 2014 M5 model with SkyActive does not have cruise control. Is this cruise control important. M5 does not have aircon vent at the rear. What temp do u, as in M5 drivers, normally set so that everyone in the car can feel the aircon....

And also there is one reviewer here who highlighted that the metal rust underneath the 3rd row seats for a new car. Do you encounter the same problem..

Edited by Chongsf
  • Praise 1

Thanks man. All along I thought Mazda 5 got push start and keyless entry....

back to the drawing boards then...

me bad.. Mazda 5 has keyless entry (according to their brochure, anyway) but no push start. which kind of defeats the purpose... ie you still have to take the key out of your pocket to drive the car.

I realise that the 2014 M5 model with SkyActive does not have cruise control. Is this cruise control important. M5 does not have aircon vent at the rear. What temp do u, as in M5 drivers, normally set so that everyone in the car can feel the aircon....

And also there is one reviewer here who highlighted that the metal rust underneath the 3rd row seats for a new car. Do you encounter the same problem..

Cruise control is not important on Sg roads unless you travel a lot on north-south highway. Mz 5 does have 2nd row aircon but no 3rd row aircon. Aircon should be better than the Toyota Wish does not have 2nd nor 3rd row aircon.

The Mz 5 does not have many additional features so if that is important to you, you could consider paying more for the Toyota Wish which is fully equipped with start-stop, 6 airbags, GPS navigation etc.

• Praise 1

Madza 5 and Toyota Wish were 2 cars that I actually shortlisted .

M5 has sliding door and 2nd row aircons but the third room is pretty cramped . Good for kids below 10

Wish only front aircon but rather spacious compared to most midsize mpy

Wish 5 years unlimited warranty

Resale value Wish is way abouve M5

Nevertless both are good and practical car .

• Praise 1

There is another thing that u have to take note about wish... The spare tyre for BM wish can only be accessible from underneath the car. While M5 spare tyre is accessible from the rear door....You cant predict when u need to change tyre when tyre puncture. For your consideration....

↡ Advertisement