Ford Focus titanium

Obscurest

Just to share the latest price of Focus Wagon Titanium is $107,000, subject to min 50% loan for 5 yrs. Very tempting but concerns with reliability and underpower.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Focus Trend going for only $98K including 16" sports rims and locally fitted leather seats. Deduct another $1K if you wish to stick to the factory fitted cloth seats which come with 5 yr warranty.

5 yr, 100,000 km warranty and 3 yr free servicing. Made in Germany. Very good value for a continental car. Takes corners like a sports car with its independent rear suspension. Steering feel is superb. You can feel the road, unlike those ultra light electric steering in Jap cars. High OMV of $15 K, which translates to an annual depreciation of only $9 K.

Interior is well built. Seats are firm. Rear leg room is considerably spacious. Chrome adds some class to the otherwise black interior. 6 speed auto translates to low rpm , <2,000rpm when traveling. Adequate pick up in NA engine, ever ready to kick down when overtaking.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 5

Turbocharged

6 speed auto translates to low rpm , <2,000rpm when traveling. Adequate pick up in NA engine, ever ready to kick down when overtaking.

I think the Focus is using the PowerShift dual-clutch, was I wrong?

I think the Focus is using the PowerShift dual-clutch, was I wrong?

You are right.

You can manually up and downshift using the + and - button on the gearshift but I did not try this.

Turbocharged

You are right.

You can manually up and downshift using the + and - button on the gearshift but I did not try this.

A lot of people don't like that implementation of SelectShift, and I can see why. The typical stick-to-side then up-and-down motion is just more natural than the +/- buttons on the stick.... But it's better than no manual mode at all. [drivingcar]

Focus Trend going for only $98K including 16" sports rims and locally fitted leather seats. Deduct another $1K if you wish to stick to the factory fitted cloth seats which come with 5 yr warranty.

5 yr, 100,000 km warranty and 3 yr free servicing. Made in Germany. Very good value for a continental car. Takes corners like a sports car with its independent rear suspension. Steering feel is superb. You can feel the road, unlike those ultra light electric steering in Jap cars. High OMV of $15 K, which translates to an annual depreciation of only $9 K.

Interior is well built. Seats are firm. Rear leg room is considerably spacious. Chrome adds some class to the otherwise black interior. 6 speed auto translates to low rpm , <2,000rpm when traveling. Adequate pick up in NA engine, ever ready to kick down when overtaking.

Would seriously consider the car if it comes with the 1.0 Ecoboost instead.

• Praise 1

1.0 ecoboost is manual right? Maybe that's why unlikely to bring in?

I stand corrected though as last time I read a review saying it's manual.

• Praise 3

The Keeb weight of the Focus 1.6 is 1400kg, same weight as the NISSAN Qashqai 2.0. Nissan Qashqai 1.2 turbo already has so many issues on loss of power discussed in this forum.

I cannot fathom how a tiny 1.0 Ecoboost engine on steroids can adequately move a 1400 kg car body, with no compromise on safety when overtaking is required, particularly on a full load.

such small cap engine not good for heavy "big" car. When boosted, the fuel consumption is very much worse than any 2.0L NA engine.

They are designed for super low FC at idling and gentle driving in order to meet the emission standards. That's all.

1.0 ecoboost is manual right? Maybe that's why unlikely to bring in?
I stand corrected though as last time I read a review saying it's manual.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

The Keeb weight of the Focus 1.6 is 1400kg, same weight as the NISSAN Qashqai 2.0. Nissan Qashqai 1.2 turbo already has so many issues on loss of power discussed in this forum.

I cannot fathom how a tiny 1.0 Ecoboost engine on steroids can adequately move a 1400 kg car body, with no compromise on safety when overtaking is required, particularly on a full load.

The 1.2L loss of power is a different sort of issue altogether, it is an actual engine reaction problem rather than "cannot pull the body".

The 1.0 EcoBoost is lighter than the 1.6L TiVCT engine as well, so it shaves off some weight. The reviews say it's not as feisty as the Fiesta, but it's still pretty decent. It makes enough power and early torque to get running around. The key is the increase in torque and how eager the three-cylinder is to rev. I would take the 1.0L EcoBoost over the grossly underpowered 1.6L any time, and the main reason I did not choose to consider the Focus here was due to the outdated 1.6L engine.

The 1.5L EcoBoost would be the best imo, but that would fall into category B.

The 1.2L Peugeot 308SW is also a 129hp 3-cylinder pulling a body in excess of 1300kg, and that actually gets going quite well!

U will be amazed if u test drive the fiesta 1.0l. It is not an award winning engine for nothing. Definitely can pull a heavy car or else ford will not introduce it in the mondeo. The automatic focus 1.0l is available in Europe this yr but not imported here yet.
  • Praise 1

Award winning for innovation. However, most I think are more concern on mid and long term reliability and serviceability.

I reckon it's pretty OK for a small compact car, but for a large and heavy car, it's a question mark. Yes, can pull, but....

U will be amazed if u test drive the fiesta 1.0l. It is not an award winning engine for nothing. Definitely can pull a heavy car or else ford will not introduce it in the mondeo. The automatic focus 1.0l is available in Europe this yr but not imported here yet.

Edited by Kangadrool

Award winning for innovation. However, most I think are more concern on mid and long term reliability and serviceability.

I reckon it's pretty OK for a small compact car, but for a large and heavy car, it's a question mark. Yes, can pull, but....

I guess that is the stereotype of small engines but with the cevs rebate, downgrading with turbo is the way to go. Even Honda is coming up with a 1.0l turbo nxt yr. Turbo technology has evolved very fast over the years and very soon there are driverless cars in 5 yrs time. Another reason ppl are put off with turbo engine is the VW 1.4 tsi engine which is as unreliable as their 7 spd dry gb. Well, it is only 1 brand. If Korea and jap cars follow the turbo route to compete with Conti cars, it means something. However they have a long way to go as still underpowered but that can't be said of Conti cars like pug and ford. Mb and bmw have been using turbo for yrs.

I had the Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine as a rental car in UK paired with a 6 speed manual.

Didn't find it particularly impressive, it felt like a NA 1.4l most of the time, except for the very poor pulling power/ torque at low revs. Eg, when I slow down in 2nd gear at a traffic light and then try to move off when the light changes, the car would jerk and sometimes stall unless I really revved the engine hard and gave it plenty of clutch slip. Found it odd to have to shift into 1st gear to move off when the car is still rolling.

Over a mix of UK motorway and some city driving, got around 13-14km/l which doesn't seem impressive. 

• Praise 2

1.0 il3 shud make bout 60+ hp. So to pump 130bp from turbo, suggest a high state of tune. Just like a jap 2.0 w 150ps boosted to 280-300ps. I believe thats the reason AD brought the conservative 99hp instead.

For the focus, between 1.0tc n 1.6na, i take the latter. Now that i am reminded of sg heaty conditions...i hope whatever 1.0, 1.5 tc HD bring in, it will be the conservative spec. At cat A n entry B, reliability n ease of maintenance should take centre stage.

• Praise 1

I had the Focus with the 1.0 Ecoboost engine as a rental car in UK paired with a 6 speed manual.

Didn't find it particularly impressive, it felt like a NA 1.4l most of the time, except for the very poor pulling power/ torque at low revs. Eg, when I slow down in 2nd gear at a traffic light and then try to move off when the light changes, the car would jerk and sometimes stall unless I really revved the engine hard and gave it plenty of clutch slip. Found it odd to have to shift into 1st gear to move off when the car is still rolling.

Over a mix of UK motorway and some city driving, got around 13-14km/l which doesn't seem impressive.

Mated to a powershift gb would be better.

Ford Focus 1.6 now dropped to $88,888 COE drop $5 K, Regent Motors drop price by a whopping $9K. Their profit margin is razor thin 4 digits, with the high OMV of $15k

Stick to the cloth upholstery which comes with 5yr warranty, and get an additional $1K off = $87,888 only !!!

$8.1K annual depreciation for a German made conti car. Where to find? Cheaper than used car.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2

Much as what I have expected.

It's no surprise that such engine was designed with the aim of meeting emission standard. How? Tuned in such a way that it's lowest polluter at idling and cruising. However, for real world traffic condition like in SG conditions, you need to rev up very frequently at stop/start and the FC goes up steeply. Needless to say, every 1 kg added to the body of the car will severely impact the drive and FC.

It will only be impressive if shod on a shell like Nissan March with weight below 1 ton.

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement