BPL 15/16 - The New Season Part 1

Maxus-MIFA9

Dann scored a late winner at Anfield, and today Pool revenged with a last min penalty. Strangely, Pool played better with 10 men.

Sakho and Lovren did well I must say. Tough time for the fullbacks. Bolasie and Zaha both have pace to burn.

Happy with the win. Pool showed character :D

Pool has shown more characters under Klopp :)

I like the "Never say die" attitude :)

↡ Advertisement

Whilst I'm not condoning this, the modern game is such that you go down even when barely touched and hope for a decision in your favour esp if you do not have any advantage anymore ie you moving away from goal, angle is tight, goalie is closing on you etc. 

Win some, lose some. So fans whilst obviously biased towards their own teams should remember that over the course of a 38 game league season, these decisions more or less evens itself out.

That said, Cup games, UCL k/o stages etc may mean a decision going against you has no chance for evening itself out as you will be k/o so have to wait till next season and that's why I always say you have to salute the EPL champion or any League Champion for that matter as they earned in over 9 months whereas I don't give so much credit to a Cup winner or even UCL winner cos some element of luck via ref decision etc may get you over the line, my 2 cents....

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

Totally agreed. The minimum touch of air.

Big Ben felt the breath of Delany and collapsed like London Bridge.

If there is a "Soft Penalty of the season" contest, this would win by galaxy miles.

Defender was clearly pulling out from the tackle/pursuit and BB was going nowhere goal bound.

It's hard to swallow even for neutrals.

Sorry bro, have to disagree on this.

Whether a defender pull out of the challenge half way doesn't matter. The fact is that he had committed the challenge with that slide. Whether the defender took out the player with his feet, knee, bum or whatsoever, it is still a pen.

The contact was on Benteke's left foot which was also his foot on the ground that carried his weight. In full flight (albeit a slow one :D), any slightest contact on that standing foot will unbalance a player. In fact, the bigger the player, the harder for him to keep his balance. Hence, I do not agree that Benteke went down majiam being shot.

If he was stationary, that touch won't fall him. But on a runner's standing foot, that's another story altogether.

If there is question to be ask, it has to be on the defender. Does he even need to attempt that sliding challenge?

• Praise 2

Frankly the touch on Benteke was minimum.

any touch on a person running will send him tumbling. esp in the penalty box. 

and according to the rules, it's a penalty。

dont go sliding on him if dont want penalty。

• Praise 3

Benteke penalty more clear cut than vardy vs monreal..lol

Just to add cos I watched this match, Oscar was pushed from behind in the box vs Stoke. A clear cut penalty if you ask me but ref Clattenburg (supposedly the top ref in EPL, he n Atkinson will represent England in the Euros this year) waved play on. Endless these arguments cos some decisions will always go against you no matter what.

See recent poll results on least popular refs to give u an idea on who to avoid (not that u can!!)

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/poll-reveals-answer-to-most-unpopular-premier-league-referee-question

• Praise 5

Benteke penalty more clear cut than vardy vs monreal..lol

Vardy poke the ball right but he continued going straight to kick Monreal's leg

should be foul against Vardy  [laugh]

but hor, Viera used to do that rather often in the past too  [:p]

Just to add cos I watched this match, Oscar was pushed from behind in the box vs Stoke. A clear cut penalty if you ask me but ref Clattenburg (supposedly the top ref in EPL, he n Atkinson will represent England in the Euros this year) waved play on. Endless these arguments cos some decisions will always go against you no matter what.

See recent poll results on least popular refs to give u an idea on who to avoid (not that u can!!)

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/poll-reveals-answer-to-most-unpopular-premier-league-referee-question

Based on what you described, I rem couple years ago, same thing happen to arshavin.. blatant push by stoke defender from back also in penalty box but not given

should be foul against Vardy [laugh]

but hor, Viera used to do that rather often in the past too [:p]

Viera? Don't rem him earning penalty.. he usually outside box de

should be foul against Vardy  [laugh]

but hor, Viera used to do that rather often in the past too  [:p]

Up to today, I can't really make up my mind if a forward runs into your leg, is it a foul?

In theory, I would say yes cos the defenders leg obstructs the forward's movement so foul.

But then again, I've seen forwards intentionally clattering into a defender's leg to try and get a free kick/penalty and they can be so cunning that in real time it looks like a foul.

Who wants to be a referee!!!

• Praise 3

perhaps from the ref angle it look very bad..

bad decision to slide in by the defender..

Actually Ref didn't award it initially, but half of Pool pointed out to him that the Linesman flagged foul, and urged him to consult the linesman.

He awarded only after he talked talked to lineman on the ear/mouth-piece...

Lucky he did...

Up to today, I can't really make up my mind if a forward runs into your leg, is it a foul?

In theory, I would say yes cos the defenders leg obstructs the forward's movement so foul.

But then again, I've seen forwards intentionally clattering into a defender's leg to try and get a free kick/penalty and they can be so cunning that in real time it looks like a foul.

Who wants to be a referee!!!

Actually in theory is not a foul because defender did not impede attacker but is attacker run into defender... something like fouling for obstruction

But not easy to prove if attacker did it deliberately

Claudio Ranieri and Leicester asking questions on the big 5 in England with their every step taking them nearer the title. Before you think it's only City and Chelsea that needs answering on why they spent so much and are mediocre, the same applies to United, Pool and Arsenal as well. Interesting read........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3479384/Claudio-Ranieri-right-Leicester-arrogant-Big-Five-running-scared.html

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Claudio Ranieri and Leicester asking questions on the big 5 in England with their every step taking them nearer the title. Before you think it's only City and Chelsea that needs answering on why they spent so much and are mediocre, the same applies to United, Pool and Arsenal as well. Interesting read........

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3479384/Claudio-Ranieri-right-Leicester-arrogant-Big-Five-running-scared.html

I believe his comment was targeted at that US businessman's comment about UCL does not need Leicester in it. It came about after that supposedly break-away talks with that US business man.

Klopp was asked on that meeting and his replied that there was indeed a meeting but nothing about what they had been reporting. I think that meeting was to discuss about the pre-season friendly tournament to be held in the US.

I totally respect Leicester's achievement and I believe Ranieri himself also knows that his team has overachieved this season. Are Leicester the first team to overachieved? Not imo. Liverpool in 13/14 did so as well. Similarity? No Europe commitment, star player(s) "exploded".

Spending money never guarantee success but it gives you a better chance. However, when you are in a league when 4-5 teams can spend big, advantage of spending diminishes.

• Praise 1

I believe his comment was targeted at that US businessman's comment about UCL does not need Leicester in it. It came about after that supposedly break-away talks with that US business man.

Klopp was asked on that meeting and his replied that there was indeed a meeting but nothing about what they had been reporting. I think that meeting was to discuss about the pre-season friendly tournament to be held in the US.

I totally respect Leicester's achievement and I believe Ranieri himself also knows that his team has overachieved this season. Are Leicester the first team to overachieved? Not imo. Liverpool in 13/14 did so as well. Similarity? No Europe commitment, star player(s) "exploded".

Spending money never guarantee success but it gives you a better chance. However, when you are in a league when 4-5 teams can spend big, advantage of spending diminishes.

Agreed on Ranieri's reply being to a question on Leicester not being in a closed UCL.

But my point is and always has been that clubs and their fans are obviously selfish in wanting to protect their own interests, nothing wrong I guess and admittedly I would react similarly. Started off with 3 clubs dominating English football cos they were successful earlier and thus had the history to attract players and $ so that continuity of success could follow. The 3 become 4(Chelsea) and later 5(City) with rich owners spending big $ and fans, officials of those 3 cried foul, saying money buying success etc.

Now the 4th and 5th team also crying foul and are part of a bigger group that wants a closed UCL etc thus ensuring their permanent participation cos they have arrived at the party but football and all sport for that matter is all about competition. 

As you have rightfully pointed out, $ doesn't guarantee success but gives you a better chance at it and whilst yes it diminishes when 4 others have just as much, it is still an advantage nevertheless and more importantly don't cry foul when someone can spend more than you. You just have to be innovative or smart to be able to outsmart the clubs with deeper pockets which Leicester has done to a certain extent.

The neutrals are happy that the foxes are proving this theory wrong, I for one will be most happy they win but I'm not deluded to know that in the long run the clubs with the higher spending power will likely but not certainly prevail with more trophies.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

2 records set in last in last night's games.

First time in club history, Liverpool came from a man and a goal down to win a match.

First time in player's career, Mata got sent off

↡ Advertisement