Bak Zhangs

Discoburg

8 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

oh you also prefer this type? i think its nonya type. we used to make it but now parents old, aunties all old. it is hard to make they say.

so no more make for many years liao. never bother to buy outside lor. those few they buy i dont like at all.

btw, we are teochew making nonya bak chang.. at least thats what they say is nonya bak chang.. maybe it is b**tardised by us... lol

ps: wfh very sian.. everyday think of food but nuah and google for food delivery.. dangerous to go market buy food to cook.. if not can try to make bak chang.. but cannot tie the pyramid chang.. must use the fold into rectangle way.. because... the pyramid will fall apart if you dont tie it well

make ba zhang very time consuming. u make a little bit like waste effort. 1 time must make alot.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Wind30 said:

https://danielfooddiary.com/2020/06/13/hiongkeedumplings/

Tried this a few years back I thought it is good. 

surprised no one recommended this as I thought this is THE bak chang... or at least this was what my googling came up with a few years back.

I much prefer hoo kee to this, thus recommended hoo kee instead. That's my gold standard for bak chang.

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

oh you also prefer this type? i think its nonya type. we used to make it but now parents old, aunties all old. it is hard to make they say.

so no more make for many years liao. never bother to buy outside lor. those few they buy i dont like at all.

btw, we are teochew making nonya bak chang.. at least thats what they say is nonya bak chang.. maybe it is b**tardised by us... lol

ps: wfh very sian.. everyday think of food but nuah and google for food delivery.. dangerous to go market buy food to cook.. if not can try to make bak chang.. but cannot tie the pyramid chang.. must use the fold into rectangle way.. because... the pyramid will fall apart if you dont tie it well

I think the only one in my family that can and knows how to make zhangs is my later paternal grandmother. 

Usually I do not buy them as people do gift them to me. However due to the pandemic I have to source then myself this year. First time doing so.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

https://www.womensweekly.com.sg/gallery/food/different-types-traditional-bak-chang-singapore/

I only eat nonya type. Others no interest.
Old liao, i try not to eat glutinous rice products. Hard to digest... 

very seldom eat for last couple of years. Good for hungry boys growing up. but seriously, most people don't need to eat so much for BF unless u are doing physical labour...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

https://www.womensweekly.com.sg/gallery/food/different-types-traditional-bak-chang-singapore/

I only eat nonya type. Others no interest.
Old liao, i try not to eat glutinous rice products. Hard to digest... 

very seldom eat for last couple of years. Good for hungry boys growing up. but seriously, most people don't need to eat so much for BF unless u are doing physical labour...

I agree. For the whole festival I eat 2-3 more then enough. Wait for next season.

Turbocharged

i totally dun eat during the season. Zhang is easily available throughout the year, no need to specifically rush and eat during this time with prices jacked, and possibly poorer quality due to increased production.

Similarly for bak kwa.

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
16 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Everyone can Google, but if everyone Google, MCF will be out of biz soon, just like all the other forums. I support new threads. 🤪

Open new thread also need to be very careful leh... if never search properly wait kana yellow card from someone... :XD:

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

16 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

seriously? you guys eat 20+ dollar bak zhang?

i need to stop being poor lol

Now I eat Bak Zhang thoughout the year except during the Duan Wu Festival period. 😅

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
18 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Open new thread also need to be very careful leh... if never search properly wait kana yellow card from someone... :XD:

Haha as long it's not nonsensical nobody will give you yellow card. @RadX @Carbon82 @Spring

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Beregond said:

make ba zhang very time consuming. u make a little bit like waste effort. 1 time must make alot.

yea so the making is like 2 weeks long.. you see we make.. also scared.. like factory

and then the eating... is like 2 months long.. 😵

Edited by Nolicense
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Discoburg said:

The $20 zhangs you guys mentioned are with scallops, abalones or shark fins is it?

Maybe got ang moh style with truffle or foie gras 😁

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, Nolicense said:

yea so the making is like 2 weeks long.. you see we make.. also scared.. like factory

and then the eating... is like 2 months long.. 😵

lot of traditional foods are time consuming to make.

Slow food is not necessarily good food. But often.

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Maybe got ang moh style with truffle or foie gras 😁

Wouldn’t mind paying for one with truffle though.

Hypersonic
(edited)

I love the bak zhang long time ago I bought in China city 嘉兴。

咸肉粽。A lot of meat inside and is those pui pui one.. Cannot find anything similar here.

Edited by Tohto
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

梅菜 bak zhang? First time i hear. Lol.

Sekali it's trying to inform that there's no veggie...😁

• Haha! 3

30 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Now I eat Bak Zhang thoughout the year except during the Duan Wu Festival period. 😅

I still eat during the festive period but won't buy...jiak gifted ones enough liao 😁

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Discoburg said:

The $20 zhangs you guys mentioned are with scallops, abalones or shark fins is it?

I'd expect all goodies mentioned to be included if want me to part my money...😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1