Enhancing GPS connectivity for Android Unit

itsmeagainhk

Hello everyone,

I have just installed an aftermarket android unit in replacement of the older stock pioneer unit. While the unit itself is running on its own 3G/4G sim card, the connectivity isn't exactly very stable. I am referring to the times when using google maps / waze. Sometimes, the app will just hang and display a "no gps connectivity" error message but the radio and spotify are still working. At times, the location of the car on the app is just wrong. The unit itself has a gps antenna and it is on the dashboard in front.

Wondering if you guys have encountered such issues before and if there are ways we can improve on the connectivity ?

Not sure if getting a sim card coverage by reputable telcos will help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, itsmeagainhk said:

@Koster I see. I got myself a sim card front singtel. Hopefully it will be better. Was using Simba (formerly tpg).

I used M1. No improvement 

I think it's the hardware itself that has problem.

It's not that there's no gps signal on the outside, it's that the hardware or software can't process gps data for some reason.

My Redmi phone recently got problem with Waze not getting gps data. Later I found some water between the cover and the phone. I had splashed some to clean the cover and didn't realize water got in-between. The water could have shorted out the gps signal. Once I cleared the water, the problem didn't appear to return.

Changing SIM card is unlikely to help. If there's a telco problem, Waze will show network problem instead, and not gps problem.

Edited by Kb27

My android phone has problems connecting to the HU of the car. 

Connection is there is you consider the phone.  But I am looking at projecting the Google map from my phone to the HU Screen.  Sometimes I works, sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't, it shows "system not supported".

I am not sure if it's the HU problem or the phone.  Cannot be cable cos it's new.  

I am thinking of changing to an Apple iPhone and see if it gets better.  Now just waiting for my Vivo phone to spoil first.....

7 hours ago, Philipkee said:

My android phone has problems connecting to the HU of the car. 

Connection is there is you consider the phone.  But I am looking at projecting the Google map from my phone to the HU Screen.  Sometimes I works, sometimes it doesn't.  When it doesn't, it shows "system not supported".

I am not sure if it's the HU problem or the phone.  Cannot be cable cos it's new.  

I am thinking of changing to an Apple iPhone and see if it gets better.  Now just waiting for my Vivo phone to spoil first.....

Maybe u can try installing other mirroring app first?

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Isn't Android auto the only app for android phones?

is your HU android HU or original HU? If android HU, there is playstore where u can install android apps.

1 hour ago, Koster said:

is your HU android HU or original HU? If android HU, there is playstore where u can install android apps.

Original HU.  Not after market one.

Edited by Philipkee
↡ Advertisement