Favourite Hotpot ingredients/sauces

Lala81

Hypersonic
(edited)

Doing reunion dinner first time for my immediate family. So seeing if got any fresh ideas for hotpot ingredients/sauces etc. 

No beef as my mum don't take. 
Cut chilli + soya sauce standard. 

Anyone tried the iberico pork belly/collar before? Does it really taste better than the generic ones. 

Bought canadian scallop and hokkaido scallop already. Abalone, Snow crab, Ang Kar prawns pretty standard. 

I'm working until 4pm, so lot of my prep has to be done beforehand and frozen. Going to make my own chicken base soup. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

(edited)
On 1/17/2024 at 12:21 PM, Lala81 said:

Doing reunion dinner first time for my immediate family. So seeing if got any fresh ideas for hotpot ingredients/sauces etc. 

Anyone tried the iberico pork belly/collar before? Does it really taste better than the generic ones. 

Bought canadian scallop and hokkaido scallop already. Abalone, Snow crab, Ang Kar prawns pretty standard. 

I'm working until 4pm, so lot of my prep has to be done beforehand and frozen. Going to make my own chicken base soup. 

Iberico pork belly, yes, nice but a bit too fatty. Try to look for leaner with less fats.

I think I bought ready marinated with the Yakiniku sauce in frozen package (Donki). It's cheaper than chilled. Around $8/packet, now not so sure. One packet is only good for 1-2pax, not much. Donki does sell other Yakiniku sauce in a small bottle. The other one(from restaurant) I cant find it off the shelf but I saw it being sold online. It has some garlic taste to it. I like this.

983546905_BBQsauce.thumb.jpg.ccf735fd066d16065cade8b97d9015f2.jpg

No need to brush too much of it onto the meat while grilling. It goes well with white rice. I used a single induction hub and an iron skillet, can do it over the dinner table. Electric grill also can.

I am not a big fan of shellfish but you wont go wrong with stir fry chilli. Look for recommended chilli paste you can buy from supermarkets. It's only abalone I prefer it to be poached and slice into thin pieces. You can stir fry with vege like kangkong and chilli also. Prawns are best poached in beer. Soak the prawns in ice water and a bit of sugar a night before. Sugar keeps seafood fresh, dont use salt.

I'm looking for ginseng chicken(whole chicken), previously I bought it from cold storage but cant find it anymore. It is all done in a big packet. Just need to put the packet into boiling water. Forgot to take picture. Maybe can find it at the Woodlands Terrace factory/warehouse. Previously bought some there like kong bah pao, the kong bah and mei chai is very nice. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic
On 1/17/2024 at 1:23 PM, kobayashiGT said:

Mine gonna be shacha jiang.

th?id=OIP.r0TVuv9pG8Ty3YViqq6HIwHaHa%26p

never tried this before. It's quite common in taiwanese cuisine. Seen videos on it, but never had it before. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
On 1/17/2024 at 1:25 PM, Lala81 said:

never tried this before. It's quite common in taiwanese cuisine. Seen videos on it, but never had it before. 

I like leh. Cuz i am not a big fan of spicy stuff. 

This one apparently is the old Nanyang ppl who work in south east asia, then they wanna eat satay sauce, but don't have the correct ingredient of smth, then they derive their own sauce. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shacha_sauce

Interesting hor? hahaha.  History lesson when you eat smth new also. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 1/17/2024 at 1:30 PM, kobayashiGT said:

I like leh. Cuz i am not a big fan of spicy stuff. 

This one apparently is the old Nanyang ppl who work in south east asia, then they wanna eat satay sauce, but don't have the correct ingredient of smth, then they derive their own sauce. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shacha_sauce

Interesting hor? hahaha.  History lesson when you eat smth new also. 

yup i know the origin. less spicy satay sauce essentially. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

chili try this https://www.tohsdaily.com/. can find at xtra

u never mention fish. If u got the time go to redhill market look for stall that sells ikan parang fish meat. you can mould it to balls/cakes urself or pre-order from the stall to make into balls for you. They are good in the fridge for up to 3 days so u can buy in advance.

They also have ikan parang filet strips (boneless) which u can just cut into smaller pieces and cook in the steamboat.

much nicer than those fishballs you find outside.

• Praise 3

Supercharged

These days whenever i host dinners at home  , i frequently just order steamboat packages from hotpot master ... all prepared nicely and full set up plus clean up services for a small amount of money ... 

Soup base is very nice , especially their collegen base and ingredients are fresh ...  

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
On 1/17/2024 at 1:42 PM, Etnt said:

chili try this https://www.tohsdaily.com/. can find at xtra

u never mention fish. If u got the time go to redhill market look for stall that sells ikan parang fish meat. you can mould it to balls/cakes urself or pre-order from the stall to make into balls for you. They are good in the fridge for up to 3 days so u can buy in advance.

They also have ikan parang filet strips (boneless) which u can just cut into smaller pieces and cook in the steamboat.

much nicer than those fishballs you find outside.

your foodie standard really up there. Ikan parang only those big markets fishmongers have. 
My fishmonger stall is a small neighbourhood one. 

Fish. I was just thinking normal grouper or what. That one have to see what my fishmonger has. 

Hypersonic
On 1/17/2024 at 1:45 PM, Hubwee said:

These days whenever i host dinners at home  , i frequently just order steamboat packages from hotpot master ... all prepared nicely and full set up plus clean up services for a small amount of money ... 

Soup base is very nice , especially their collegen base and ingredients are fresh ...  

ha, your level is different. 

Supercharged
On 1/17/2024 at 1:54 PM, Lala81 said:

ha, your level is different. 

Doc , their prices is really reasonable ... Confirm cheaper than going out to eat Beauty in the Pot / Hai Di lo and such lo ... 

Wondering if anyone knows where to buy those soya sauce base dips which those HDL or BITP has ... Taste completely different from the normal soya sauce lo .. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

i like both pork belly and collar meat but for older people, collar is less fatty which might be better. i like the frozen shabu shabu pork from donki.

soup base can buy those frozen collagen ones from donki (but i never try before). i think quality should be ok.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)

Sauces i normally buy off e shelf, add cut chilli padi when needed

proxy-image.jpg.bcdf70d0a3111d4f336f55ba6dd83321.jpg

proxy-image(1).jpg.a3c6c364e1bdf188f79fc797e5be9dcc.jpg

Edited by zipping
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Get the meat from Donki. 

Good quality and reasonable price.

The Iberico pork is more soft. I will pick this. 

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
On 1/17/2024 at 9:11 PM, Tohto said:

Get the meat from Donki. 

Good quality and reasonable price.

The Iberico pork is more soft. I will pick this. 

Frozen one ar?

Which DDD do you go to? 

I only go DDD to Buy bento usually. Never see their other stuff. 

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 1/17/2024 at 2:38 PM, Kxbc said:

i like both pork belly and collar meat but for older people, collar is less fatty which might be better. i like the frozen shabu shabu pork from donki.

soup base can buy those frozen collagen ones from donki (but i never try before). i think quality should be ok.

I got some pride. So at least make my own chicken soup base. 

Going to do it in future since my mum can't handle liao. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

On 1/17/2024 at 1:54 PM, Freeder said:

Base- Tomato 

Dipping sauce - Yuzu 

F0FA4ED6-856E-4D2B-94C9-99E97EFE4FBA.jpeg

yes, HDL tomato soup base was my favorite too, some time we have kimchi, tomyam, white collagen base for steamboat.

↡ Advertisement