Parallel Importers: Recommended ones/ones to avoid

Linusloh

In defence of the PI, they provide a good service to keep AD honest and less greedy. Even those who buy from AD benefit if there are sufficient pi to keep them hungry. They have to provide good service, packages, parts etc. Just like private workshops keep ad servicing reasonable.

So live and let live. It is not a business model discussion. It is a business ethics discussion, and i think the authorities should provide better framework for consumer protection.in the uk, the brands have to provide warranty and support to independent workshops by law so that consumers have a choice and not be strangled by monopolistic practise. In singapore, there is no such laws and hence the grey pi comes in to fill the gap.

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Even if u do ur own import, u may not save money if the risks identified goes against you. Calculate carefully.

one big advantage of self-import is getting to be like buyers in countries like UK,

where they enjoy the luxury of spec'ing their cars to their liking.

here is usually what u see in the showroom is what u get, or just very limited options,

else is indent-basis priced to dissuade u.

I shipped my car in a 20 foot container. Shipping + insurance from southampton to psa is ard 800 pounds. Paperwork, opening container, and towing car to workshop is around 1800 sin$.

One key in the car and one key courier to me. No need to remove battery. It was still powerful when it arrived in sgp 4 weeks after shipment. I guess new battery is strong. Also any car with auto start stop should be robust. My dealer tells me up to 8 weeks is not a problem as he ships from uk to new zealand without any problems.

Because of start-stop system, it is equipped with AGM battery.  AGM battery is juz 1 type of deep cycle battery.

one big advantage of self-import is getting to be like buyers in countries like UK,

where they enjoy the luxury of spec'ing their cars to their liking.

here is usually what u see in the showroom is what u get, or just very limited options,

else is indent-basis priced to dissuade u.

Over here, we can also spec it up as we like.  Of course, AD will use indent price to scare off consumer.

If 1 do calculation, we still can't match AD price la on apple to apple basis.

The fact that so many pi is struggling shows that it is a tough business, and margins are not big enuf to sustain the business. Therefore your savings may also not be big. I got a windfall due to the sudden drop in the pound due to brexit. This is an exceptional event.

I believe Pi setup business to make money, not cheat money except for some blacksheep. Perhaps a very transparent pi who provides a service instead of assuming coe, currencies and supplier risks, will be a more dependable supplier. Pi fails whenever the impact of the above risks is much higher than their margin. Even if u do ur own import, u may not save money if the risks identified goes against you. Calculate carefully.

I went the self import route as i wanted the car before it is available in singapore, and if i save miney it is a bonus. It was hard work, and i will not be keen to do it again soon.

You are the Man. Importing a model of the car that is unavailable in Singapore. The hassle to get the car brochures and other documentation, to do the actual emission test... Good to hear there is a windfall in your self-import journey. ;-)

• Praise 1

Hi, can please PM me good PI to go to and bad ones to avoid? Looking at Vezel Hybrid or X, both with Honda sensing. Anybody any recommendation which is better and which PI good package etc? Thanks.

• Praise 1

I went the self import route as i wanted the car before it is available in singapore, and if i save miney it is a bonus. It was hard work, and i will not be keen to do it again soon.

10 years from now, when you want to self-import your next car, organize a group buy  [laugh]

Hi, can please PM me good PI to go to and bad ones to avoid? Looking at Vezel Hybrid or X, both with Honda sensing. Anybody any recommendation which is better and which PI good package etc? Thanks.

u can try Exodus Global or TLC cars. Pretty good service. 

If not can also consider Royal Automotive.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 4

i hope you all know i was trolling Unicorn8 as he didn't bother to read the thread properly and follow the news. 

Bro

I suggest you explain it to the new bro..

He has only begun here, and you won't want to be responsible for misleading him..

Some of us haven't been following events, here or in the news, so be gentle..

Bro

There are many PIs, the big ones are typically more reliable, read around a bit, and you will see some of their names being mentioned often, eg Vincar.

The smaller ones can give better prices, but that eats into their margins, and so beware, or you just end up with an empty promise.

Don't go too marginal. Cheers

• Praise 1

Bro

I suggest you explain it to the new bro..

He has only begun here, and you won't want to be responsible for misleading him..

Some of us haven't been following events, here or in the news, so be gentle..

Bro

There are many PIs, the big ones are typically more reliable, read around a bit, and you will see some of their names being mentioned often, eg Vincar.

The smaller ones can give better prices, but that eats into their margins, and so beware, or you just end up with an empty promise.

Don't go too marginal. Cheers

Thank you therock. :)