Braking - "Croaking" Sound

Astro

I'm driving an Auto car and every morning without fail the "frog" in my car will always "craok" when I apply the brake. Such as stopping on the red light and going off when it turn green. Or when I need to drive the car under raining eather the "frog" is back. But it eventually goes off after some time, I presume the "frog" had lost his voice after so much croaking. Do any of you guys know what is wrong or how to go about preventing it... Thanks for any advise. [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement

Sound from where - front or back wheels. What type of rear brake system - disc or drum.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

probably from the rear drum brake. previous car (skoda octavia ambiente) had the same groaning/croaking problem.

most apparent in the morning because of condensation on rear drum brake pads. removing accumulated brake dust (i.e. brake service) helps to a certain extent.

Characteristic of rear drum brakes.

Edited by Etayhm

On 4/27/2005 at 8:31 PM, Astro said:

I'm driving an Auto car and every morning without fail the "frog" in my car will always "craok" when I apply the brake.

Did you ever figure out what this problem was? My car is doing the same thing, and my local mechanic doesn’t know what is wrong. Thanks. 🙂

1 hour ago, Cherrysour said:

Did you ever figure out what this problem was? My car is doing the same thing, and my local mechanic doesn’t know what is wrong. Thanks. 🙂

new car or old?

After market calipers or original?

sometimes its consider normal depending on what u did to the car.

If its cloak sound when you brake , its the pads or the caliper free play that is causing it.

You need the expansion gap for expand and contraction.

49 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

new car or old?

It’s a 6 year old car. We just had the rotors rotated and new brake pads put on to try to fix the sound. It didn’t help. The mechanic mentioned the rear differential motor assembly, but the sound only happens as I come to a complete stop and when I first release the brake. I don’t hear it at any other time. 

Edited by Cherrysour

1 hour ago, Cherrysour said:

It’s a 6 year old car. We just had the rotors rotated and new brake pads put on to try to fix the sound. It didn’t help. The mechanic mentioned the rear differential motor assembly, but the sound only happens as I come to a complete stop and when I first release the brake. I don’t hear it at any other time. 

tell them put some grease inside the caliper try first

4 hours ago, Cherrysour said:

Did you wash the car yourself? Do you use powerful jet spray? If no, I suggest you go to petrol station for car wash. They will wash away the brake dust with the jet spray. Then drive around for a short period of braking, the sound may go away. No harm trying it.

27 minutes ago, Xtrah said:

Did you wash the car yourself? Do you use powerful jet spray? If no, I suggest you go to petrol station for car wash. They will wash away the brake dust with the jet spray. Then drive around for a short period of braking, the sound may go away. No harm trying it.

Did it happen all the time or is it intermittent ? Can you have someone  standing beside the car and see if he could locate which particular wheel is making the noise? 

It could be a case that your caliper is stuck,  the rotor forces open  the caliper again when the car move forward.  

Edited by Ct3833

12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

It could be a case that your caliper is stuck,  the rotor forces open  the caliper again when the car move forward.  

Thank you so much, everyone who mentioned calipers and break dust!  We oiled and cleaned them all, but the car was still making the noise. It turned out to be a loud valve in the rear differential motor assembly. That has been greased, too, and it’s a bit quieter now. The mechanic doesn’t think it’s going to be a problem, so we’ll just watch it for now. 

I really appreciate everyone’s help! 

19 hours ago, Xtrah said:

Bad bad bad advice.. you have high chance of crack rotor if u do that . Very harmful 

Edited by Sdf4786k

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Bad bad bad advice.. you have high chance of crack rotor if u do that . Very harmful 

So u mean every 1 that goes to the petrol station car wash will have crack rotor?

5 hours ago, Dilemma said:

So u mean every 1 that goes to the petrol station car wash will have crack rotor?

You can’t go against sciences. Hot rotor cold water fast contraction = crack rotor . U may not see it does not mean damage has been done

try this boiling water pour into glass .. pour boiling water out n pour cold water. Just because it does not shattered does not mean the glass hairline crack is not there .. perhaps a Mug will not crack but sure as heck it will crack if u continue to do that.

you can alway try on your car to find out 

Edited by Sdf4786k

14 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Who ask you brake hard go petrol station wash? Just travel slowly and light brake. Anyway, still have to wait for the turn. By then rotor already cool down. Think about it before you post your reply.

Edited by Xtrah

Neutral Newbie

mine have croak sound on driver side when i go pass humps at low speed. got my suspension checked, no problem leh.

When there is no physical leak on the dampers, it may not necessarily mean the dampers are in good condition. 

There are also the worn out undercarriage control arms and anti roll bars that could attribute to the noise. 

What's the mileage done then? 

↡ Advertisement