Fare increase cannot be helped

Ahtong

Song bo 60.1%?

pc_600x450.jpg

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said that fare increases cannot be helped, and that transport companies have to make reasonable profits to provide good service.

Mr Lee touched on the ongoing debate over a proposed fare hike in public transport last night at a National Day celebration.

"From time to time, fare increases cannot be helped", he tried to explain.

On suggestions that the government is helping public transport operators to make more profits, he said, "there is no reason for us to do so."

"But we have to allow the transport companies to break even and to make reasonable profits, so that they can provide this good service."

He leaves the Public Transport Council to decide what consitutes a "reasonable profit".

I guess transport companies have been making "unreasonable" profits in the past

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

The incremental amount will be based on the formula

60.1% x 2.8% = 1.68% increase in the new fare

Now thanks to the 39.9%, we got a huge discount this time round.

When the time comes that MIW is voted out, can we say, "Sorry, it can't be helped"

they won't let that happen..comes 2016 there will be another threat to tell u if KBW gets voted out..ache-dee-bee prices will drop..then those 60.14% bo lui lang will gonggong vote for MIW

He has deftly avoided the call for nationalising public transport with his reply.

Smart move. Lui must have been berated for opening up that debate.

Supersonic

Looks like anything happened in sg, all cannot be helped! Fare increase cannot be helped, sg overcrowded with FTs cannot be helped, and even the increasing high price of housing also cannot be helped, and finally the overall increase cost of living confirmed cannot be helped! [thumbsdown]

If the transport companies make money, the money will in turn go back to the government coffers due to taxation. So it's a win win situation that the transport companies remain private. In a way, this is a method where government can recoup money without increasing GST.

(edited)

btw, if profit earning is so painful and difficult, why still privatise [confused]

of cos lah... if dont privatise, where got excuse for profit??? if wholly owned by Gov, and they to increase their profit, you guess what will happen??

Edited by Tigershark1976

yeah cannot be helped.... lucky i'm not dependent on public transport. Lucky I bought my car before the crazy COE hike. But now I wonder what will happen when my Cause Of Extinction expires in 5 years time..... I might just have to go BMW...

If the transport companies make money, the money will in turn go back to the government coffers due to taxation. So it's a win win situation that the transport companies remain private. In a way, this is a method where government can recoup money without increasing GST.

thats only part of it... a few percents nia... u need to know who is the major shareholder behind all the public transport company...

(edited)

Govt did not spend on infrastructure in the last few years (savings) but kept up with mass import of FT/FW, economy grew strongly along with tax revenue, govt pocketed monies (more $$$). Transport operators squeezed due to escalating costs, commuters asked to pay (some of these people's salaries probably stagnated in the last few years), why should they pay more for the low quality and service standard?

I think the govt should provide some tax/COE/whatever rebates to offset operators cost and stop asking everyone to pay while they pocket all the monies.... I won't mind paying more if service improved and the current transport woes are alleviated in due course but not now.

It can be helped.

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement