Eye surgery - cannot drive

Lotr

Now recovering from retina surgery. Cannot drive car, cannot test drive, cannot buy car... sibeh boring, sibeh gaolat.

Only can come here and complain.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Hope you are ok and recovering well.

How long is your period of "driving ban"?

I was in similar situation half a year ago when I had a shoulder surgery. I could not drive for 6 weeks until doc cleared me. 

• Praise 2

Retina surgery consider major op, should take quite some time to recover. Rest well esp anything do with eyes.

• Praise 2

Now recovering from retina surgery. Cannot drive car, cannot test drive, cannot buy car... sibeh boring, sibeh gaolat.

I wore an eye patch for 3 weeks over one eye a few mths ago.

Could understand the inconvenience u have to put up with. Try not to strain the other good eye.

• Praise 4

speedy recovery.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

May need up to 6 weeks before the eye can see better. Hopefully vision will also be good. Right now, while the retina is re-attached, vision is still blur because of the bubble that is still there.

One other problem is to maintain a head down position as much as possible, so it is not possible to do a lot of things.

20 minutes ago, tanderen said:

whats wrong with your eyes brohh ?

retina detachment

funny that you brought up this thread, remind me that I survived ~2 months without haircut. 

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

retina detachment

funny that you brought up this thread, remind me that I survived ~2 months without haircut. 

What kind of surgery done? Heard that laser treatment was the least ideal for RD...

50 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

What kind of surgery done? Heard that laser treatment was the least ideal for RD...

Can't remember the actual name. Purpose is to reattach the retina. I remember the surgery involves inserting needles(tubes?) into the eye to first extracted the liquefied jelly, then first put in another liquid then finally put in a gas. Surgery takes about 4 hours but needs about 2 months for the gas to dissipate and ensure that the retina is nicely reattached 

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Can't remember the actual name. Purpose is to reattach the retina. I remember the surgery involves inserting needles(tubes?) into the eye to first extracted the liquefied jelly, then first put in another liquid then finally put in a gas. Surgery takes about 4 hours but needs about 2 months for the gas to dissipate and ensure that the retina is nicely reattached 

That’s pretty major...needle into the eye? Ouch! 

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

I had cataract surgery with Dr Leo Seo Wei a few years ago, who performed the procedure skillfully. I was very nervous but she was very quick and efficient, and so I was in and out the clinic without problems. I still needed to be accompanied home by my sister to a hotel we booked once I was discharged though. You'll need to book your own transportation as you won't be allowed to drive, first because you won't have clear vision then, and second you need to fully recover from the effects of anaesthesia.

Supercharged

ahhh...reminds me of my bloodied nasal polypectomy....:TT_TT:...scary thots during surgery prep

but after that, like aircon tunnel cleared of all blockages...:yeah-im-not-drunk:

wish you well..

• Praise 2

Supersonic
On 6/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, Spidey10 said:

ahhh...reminds me of my bloodied nasal polypectomy....:TT_TT:...scary thots during surgery prep

but after that, like aircon tunnel cleared of all blockages...:yeah-im-not-drunk:

wish you well..

What scary things need to prepare?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, vernindy64 said:

I had cataract surgery with Dr Leo Seo Wei a few years ago, who performed the procedure skillfully. I was very nervous but she was very quick and efficient, and so I was in and out the clinic without problems. I still needed to be accompanied home by my sister to a hotel we booked once I was discharged though. You'll need to book your own transportation as you won't be allowed to drive, first because you won't have clear vision then, and second you need to fully recover from the effects of anaesthesia.

Strange ….. why go to a hotel when your home is a more familiar place to rest in …. I did mine during Covid & SNEC is just as good 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
(edited)
On 6/1/2023 at 9:47 PM, BanCoe said:

Strange ….. why go to a hotel when your home is a more familiar place to rest in …. I did mine during Covid & SNEC is just as good 

You done at SNEC as private patient or subside patient? The doctor is randomly assigned or you choose?

Edited by 13177

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/1/2023 at 10:21 PM, 13177 said:

You done at SNEC as private patient or subside patient? The doctor is randomly assigned or you choose?

Subsidized patient , Ins paid full , same doc did it ( was random…… yearly check up ) and they found some drainage issues in one of them …… it’s a simple procedure and  consultant was introduced also as I requested  to meet him also …..Mine was CGH ( SNEC) ……. But still gotta wear glasses as I have astigmatism ( usually whilst driving ) play safe especially at night …. Did one eye at a time……slept thru procedure ( ha ha ) wife dropped me and hospital called her also once procedure was done also ( nice of them ) and like picked me up about 2 -3!hours later …… smooth 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, BanCoe said:

Subsidized patient , Ins paid full , same doc did it ( was random…… yearly check up ) and they found some drainage issues in one of them …… it’s a simple procedure and  consultant was introduced also as I requested  to meet him also …..Mine was CGH ( SNEC) ……. But still gotta wear glasses as I have astigmatism ( usually whilst driving ) play safe especially at night …. Did one eye at a time……slept thru procedure ( ha ha ) wife dropped me and hospital called her also once procedure was done also ( nice of them ) and like picked me up about 2 -3!hours later …… smooth 

The less u know the better. Truth is ignorance is bliss. 

Personally, elective surgery I would rather do in private. When your outcome is very highly dependent on the skills of 1 person. Even simple routine surgery. 

Emergency then of course LL. 

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1