Jump to content

High Temperature


Mivec9
 Share

Recommended Posts

Did u see if they put in plugs with the same heat range as the old plugs or the gaps were too close or wide? Or maybe a plug is loose which may b causing the high temps.

 

Get it checked just in case. If it is the cause, then your solution will b real cheap & easy. [nod]

Link to post
Share on other sites

On board diagnostics. Once a warning code is generated it will stay there till it is manually cleared.

Recently I observed a 5-6 degrees abnormal temp increase for both the water and atf temp. In the end using the OBD readouts and the warning code, the issue was narrowed down to a faulty radiator fan (I've 2 fans and the faulty fan could not be seen easily as I've a tight engine compartment).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie
(edited)
Just got high temperature yesterday. After top up, car back to normal..with fan cutting in at the slightly more half mark of the temperature.

 

But when drive long period, the high temp came back. I did a reflush of the coolant suspecting it could be too dilute. Now still monitoring...what could be the problem??

 

Check your radiator water level, is it dropping very fast. If it is, then there is likely to be a leak somewhere.

 

That was what happened to my previous old Sutuki Swift.

Edited by Flight_skoda
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got high temperature yesterday. After top up, car back to normal..with fan cutting in at the slightly more half mark of the temperature.

 

But when drive long period, the high temp came back. I did a reflush of the coolant suspecting it could be too dilute. Now still monitoring...what could be the problem??

 

Could it be a case of air in the system since you flush your radiator.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be a case of air in the system since you flush your radiator.

=========================

 

Yes. This cud b one of the causes too. I got rid of any air after flushing or any work done on the rad by driving up & down a steep slope after the car is fully warmed up.

 

Cause all the air bubbles/pockets to flow to the rad where I can then just top-up the coolant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be a case of air in the system since you flush your radiator.

=========================

 

Yes. This cud b one of the causes too. I got rid of any air after flushing or any work done on the rad by driving up & down a steep slope after the car is fully warmed up.

 

Cause all the air bubbles/pockets to flow to the rad where I can then just top-up the coolant.

 

---------------------------

 

Don't remember that way of getting rid of air. Did my own flushing 20 years ago. Not forgot how to [smash]

Link to post
Share on other sites

will pop by to their place after my trip...was busy last weekend

=======================

 

So Sam. Have u settled your overheating problem yet. Keep us informed please. Good luck. [flowerface]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your recommendation. My high temperature problem is finally solved. He took out radiator and get another workshop to clean it. Also he corrected the activation of the radiator fan cut in at half mark rather than at more than half mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

mine the radiator fan was set to ON always... so my temp is always low... unless kana stuck in those hot weather with traffic jam...

 

anyway not sure whether set to ON always will damage anything or not...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did search thru the forum then but didnt read carefully:

 

this was from yong in jan 2002 - my prob was in Qn4:

 

Sounds like a seriously clogged radiator to me. Maybe u would wan to check these out. These are from my past experience with old cars

 

Q :

1. When your car overheat, does the radiator fan comes on? (with aircon off)

2. When your car overheat, try to press the top radiator hose (very hot!!) is it hard?

3. When your car is cold (morning), take out the radiator cap, start the engine, pull the throttle cable slightly, did u see coolant gushing out from the refilling hole?

4. When you go on high speed ie. >120km/h, does it overheat?

 

A:

1. If No, fan dead or relay dead (smack the relay box if u know where and see if fan comes on)

2. If hose is hard - Thermostat is okie. If hose is soft, thermostat might be jammed

3. If no water gush out, even with full coolant level, u have a weak water pump

4. If overheat - Radiator is choked - sent radiator to radiator shop for flushing.

 

 

I suggest u to do a minor cooling system overhaul.

 

1. Send radiator to clean (ask ur mechanic if u dunno, does the trick everytime)

2. Change a new Thermostat (less than $50 for R220)

3. Fan should not be weak or slow unless your car accident before. Its either dead or working

 

 

It sounds like a clogged radiator to me. Nothing fancy, same experience before. Those flushing solution dun work, I suggest u give up. U need radiator specialist to tear out the top and bottom radiator head cover to remove all the rust with special tools.

Link to post
Share on other sites

my take is if u on the radiator fan, yes ur temp be low, ur fan life will be shortern.

 

Also, cars are made to work optimumly at around 90 deg celcius or so, if you always on fan, i would say ur cars wont be functioning at its best. That's why when my mech did that bypass for me without my consent, next day i go back to kpkb [;)]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all bros/sis out there,urgently need serious advices.

 

Today when I drive at 1st and 2nd gear,the car jerk like nobody's biz,gotta ramp the acc to stop the car from jerking,stopped at the bus stop,opened the bonnet and looked everywhere,cannot c any leaking.But when open the coolant reservoir of my Proton Wira,my goodness, [jawdrop] the coolant reservior almost drained out,but I confirm no leaking as I recently just changed the leaking radiator.

 

So I quickly drove back to my car park and top with water,called a workshop at woodlands and asked for advise.The fellow told me to drive to Northlink.

 

Damn scared,keep on monitoring the temp and max speed only 100km.

 

Reached the workshop,the mechanic did a test round,when he came back with the car,water gashing out from the coolant reservior,not the radiator,the fellow tested and confirmed that my temp sensor behaving funny,sometime can activate fan,sometime cannot.He tried to fit in another spare bit cannot fit,thread different.Too bad sunday cannot find spare,must wait for monday.

 

I would like to ask if the water temp sensor spoil,what are oher things I must check,what other parts may be damaged. [grouphug]

 

I thgt of going to J to find spare but scared jam,die liao,water sure boil,cause fan cannot work properly

 

Pls advice??????????????????

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie
my old civic also encountered this prob.Radiator leak, hoses leak due to the coolant "biting" the hoses as told by mechanic.He said I used bad coolant and never mix properly with water.I didn't know then, I poured whole bottle of coolant into it.

 

water by itself is still has the BEST heat transfer properties (RL WW is an exception).

 

"coolant" only acts as an antifreeze and antirust agent but also degrades the performance of the cooling system

Link to post
Share on other sites

Antifreeze improves overboil protection. It does not degrade the cooling performance. It only degrades the cooling performance if you go beyond 50%.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thought I would reuse this thread.

 

I noticed my temperature gauge started to go above the halfway mark today while idling at the traffic light. It seemed to improve when I switched the aircon off. Once the car is on the move again the temperature drops back to the halfway mark. Today is the first time this happened.

 

The water pump was replaced in November. Could it be due to a lack of coolant? Or perhaps the fan belt is slipping?

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...