NS

Carmaniac

Neutral Newbie

Just asking a few questions lah.. have to go for ns soon in a few years time [sweatdrop] ..

Firstly right, which part of the military are you guys mainly positioned in? Just want to know which kind of positions are the easier ones.. I know almost all of the basic positions are tough but at least I can know what to siam [sly]

Are there any special and memorable moments in NS that you guys can share? [rolleyes] And also those special events that you think that those who didn't go for NS wouldn't know.. [nod]

And then what is so special about NS that makes it NS? Because it seems like there's a change in my cousin since he went for NS.. I also wonder why.. [rolleyes]

Lastly.. is it very important to know how to swim? Because I can't. [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed][laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

NS teaches one life skills. One can count chao keng, acting stupid for prolonged periods and the sacred skill of boot licking as one of the many skills that you will acquire during your NS life.

scholar.gif

it makes u from a boi-boi to a MAN. [pirate]

NS is the time u see alot of LJ lang..alot of ASS HOLES..alot of B@STARDS..

but at the same time u can find GREAT BUDDIES who would go thru thick and thin with u, establish some future networking wif pple who might aid u in ur future..

most important thing, where to find 40 pple together kanna terkan and luan kan together? hehe.

but u noe why everyone has to go thru ns? cuz..Singapore Arm Forces u to..hehe.

Declare you're gay and follow through with it all the way through.

You cannot "siam" unless you're wealthy or you've got a genuine medical history. Employers ask what your NS vocation is, you sometimes have to fill that in in your employment applications. If exempted, they do want to know why.

Special moments?

......going on field camp, spending half the day in a training shed while it poured outside, and going back to our bashas to find that 90% of the tents had been washed away down the slope.

......night prowling duties, particularly during the Chinese 7th Month.

......being given your first live grenade, which you held in two hands like it was something sacred and fragile (it really is quite safe till you pull the pin)

......chiong sua (Counterstrike for real)

......caught for smuggling snacks to field camp and being made to eat all of it

......the canteen 3-tonner that pulled up every few days during field camp loaded with Twisties and cold soft drink

......us BMT trainees toward the end of our course marching and shouting POP LOH! when one platoon of BMT recourse trainees passing by responded with ORD LOH!

......sleepless nights wondering why there was 13 beds in the bunk, why one of the beds was a special green colour and there was a Chinese talisman pasted above the front door

......the first time you saw the standard obstacle course

......having to go to the toilet alone because they always make you drink one litre of water before you go to bed

But as the older folk will say, NS trainees nowadays have it so much easier than in the past, the toughest were those that were trained by the Israelis, and has been progressively "welfare" since. And now they've shortened it to 2 years (1 year and 10 months if you get silver for NAPFA, I think).

Serve And Forget, but you'll be better for it, than taking the easy way out. For the average Singaporean guy, NS is a rite of passage, where they are trained, toughened up, and taught to kill in defence of Singapore. I wouldn't be surprised if your cousin changed.

He's probably growing up.

Edited by Macrosszero

Don't worry if you don't know how to swim ... the PTIs will give you one crash course you will never forget but guarantees you will swim at the end of it. [wave]

wah. few years ah.

I'm like one of the last few 2.5G batches (I've got 5 months to ORD) - we use the old SBO(skeletal battle order).

Anyway all the new guys are using LBV(load bearing vest which looks like a photographer's vest) - all these 3G army thing, ongoing transformation, so my info may not be that accurate by the time you enlist. But basic military training has always been 1G, in the sense that there are not many ways you can train soldiers. Training, punishments and stuff, nothing would be too 'surprising' or new. What you've seen in tv probably comes close.

By position I'm assuming you mean vocation(what we do). Easier in what sense? Physical? or freedom?

Infantry-based (rifleman/commandos/guards) vocations are usually the more siong ones. The rest are almost the same (pros and cons).

For freedom, both types of police (civilian and military) stay out (minus duties and stuff). In the army there's also a vocation called 'close combat instructor'. They stay out too.

You can't really 'siam' vocations. You don't really have a choice. Though you can do a medical downgrade and become a clerk. You should note that there are clerks who stay-in too.

For special moments. Now sit down and reflect. What are the special moments in your life? How do they come by? It's usually through some ordeal/unusual experience. So if you are keen on being a clerk, I don't think you will have any special experience if you mingle with just pen paper and computer.

I don't think there are any standard special experiences. I think everyone has a different experience.

What is so special about NS that makes it NS? Well. PERSONALLY, it's living without due care. All your worries in the civilian world have been tossed aside. It's having of a common enemy (regulars) for us NSFs. [wave]

Just asking a few questions lah.. have to go for ns soon in a few years time [sweatdrop] ..

Firstly right, which part of the military are you guys mainly positioned in? Just want to know which kind of positions are the easier ones.. I know almost all of the basic positions are tough but at least I can know what to siam [sly]

Are there any special and memorable moments in NS that you guys can share? [rolleyes] And also those special events that you think that those who didn't go for NS wouldn't know.. [nod]

And then what is so special about NS that makes it NS? Because it seems like there's a change in my cousin since he went for NS.. I also wonder why.. [rolleyes]

Lastly.. is it very important to know how to swim? Because I can't. [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed][laugh][laugh][laugh]

i was doing administrative duties in HQ, my immediate boss is a LTC [laugh][sly]

so i got backing back then during NSF wor [sly]

Edited by Weixiang_06

clerk easiest! best is to be a PA to an least a middle ranking officer... LTC or even MAJ good enough liaoz [sly] but of coz the LTC or MAJ himself may be a tough nut himself too but at least you only get f!!ked by him, and he will protect you from whatever f!!k other junior officers want to throw at you.. i rem how he f!!ked a CPT when the CPT tried to be funny with me [laugh][sly]

at least my boss told me that he is a f!!ker but at least he will protect me from being f!!ked by others (he was a LTC then) as i was meant only to be exclusively f!!ked by him... mmz.. it wasn't that easy for me that time but yes my time in army was relatively much easier...

and yes, working directly under a middle ranking officer in NSF time helps, coz junior officers like LTA/CPT will not dare to touch you [laugh][sly][sly][sly]

Edited by Weixiang_06

This month is a good month to pray to your ancestors to ask for a good post in your NS.

Dun wait anymore, grab the joss stick and joss paper now.

"F" only by your LTC sounds very gay leh. Throw in uniform and rank sounds gay and disgusting man. [laugh]

Are u sure u were in the army and not in jail?? [:p]

start running cos you will do alot of it , and please for god sake , do yourself a favour - take up swimming asap.All this will built up your physique and will ready you for the boy to man transformation.

My word of advise - don't everything also try to'keng' or act blur.Sometimes ok , but not everything or every assignment ... don't heal the advise and you'll learn the hard way.

Huh? I enjoy myself b4 enlistment cos my friend say ppl in there will train u even if u CMI. U train yourself no matter how hard also no use, better enjoy first. U suffer anyway, so why suffer early??

Turbocharged

clerk easiest! best is to be a PA to an least a middle ranking officer... LTC or even MAJ good enough liaoz [sly] but of coz the LTC or MAJ himself may be a tough nut himself too but at least you only get f!!ked by him, and he will protect you from whatever f!!k other junior officers want to throw at you.. i rem how he f!!ked a CPT when the CPT tried to be funny with me [laugh][sly]

at least my boss told me that he is a f!!ker but at least he will protect me from being f!!ked by others (he was a LTC then) as i was meant only to be exclusively f!!ked by him... mmz.. it wasn't that easy for me that time but yes my time in army was relatively much easier...

and yes, working directly under a middle ranking officer in NSF time helps, coz junior officers like LTA/CPT will not dare to touch you [laugh][sly][sly][sly]

i am one of those..vocation is ASA(clerk) but PA to an LTC..so far he never farked me..but he did protect me from alot of bxxxxxds out there..even RSM very friendly to me.. [;)]

btw, 11 more months to ORD!!!!

Edited by Shull

Thanks bro....yr message does bring back lots of memories.

Looking back, it was quite tough for me, but still i survive it through and can laugh about it looking back. [smash][smash][smash]

My tougest training happen right after we pass-through the 81mm motar course. Our siao on OC(regular) gave us a special 5-days holiday camp. Shifting all over spore, constantly digging trench, man-packing the motar like in a real war situation. With enemies chasing us and all that..... [dizzy][dizzy][dizzy] . I think only sleep a handfull of hours thorough the 5 days nia. The worst 5 days in my life. [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

There are penty penty more adventures...like road marching for hours inside CKK cementary, misfire M16 blank in Taiwan, "d-forters" parade(sorry duno how to spell), from a 15 min 2.4km IPPT timing to almost 11 min run [nod] , almost got court-marshall due to a tyrrant RQ [:/] , fainted twice [:p] , saw ppl knocking thier legs with real hammers just to downgrade [sweatdrop]....blah blah blah...the lists goes on-&-on.

At the end of the day, I got toughen up and learn a hell a lot of life-skills from NS. Its a precious and once-in-a-lifetime experience for me which i will never never forget. [;)]

↡ Advertisement