NSF jailed for helping to smuggle cigarettes

MacDuck

From: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../412806/1/.html

There goes his future. [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead] [shakehead]

SAF driver jailed 16 months for helping to smuggle cigarettes

By Leong Wee Keat, TODAY | Posted: 03 March 2009 2042 hrs

SINGAPORE: One of three Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) servicemen charged for accepting bribes to help smuggle cigarettes out of a military base had been sentenced to 16 months' jail.

Ang Zi Heng, 22, pleaded guilty to one charge of corruptly accepting about 18 to 20 cartons of contraband cigarettes from a staff of the Indonesian Navy in exchange for transporting contraband cigarettes out of Changi Naval Base for sale to a Singapore syndicate.

Ang was the vehicle commander of a military minibus driven by Ee Jin Liang last August.

Some members of the Indonesian navy, who were here for a meeting, loaded cartons of contraband cigarettes onto the minibus that Ee and Ang were driving and directed the Singaporeans to drive to the carpark outside the naval base.

Ee and Ang made a total of five to six trips and they received contraband cigarettes with a street value of S$756 for helping with the smuggling.

The prosecution argued for a deterrent sentence as Ang had committed the offence in the course of his duties as a military driver and undermined the security of Changi Naval Base.

Ang, who was unrepresented, pleaded for leniency and claimed he did not communicate with the Indonesian staff due to a language barrier. Family members said Ang was a non-smoker and gave the contraband cigarettes away to others.

The two others involved in the case, Ee and Adrian Tan, will appear in court on March 13. If convicted, they could each be jailed up to five years and/or fined a maximum of S$100,000.

- TODAY/yt

↡ Advertisement

Believe? Or trying to mitigate his sentence?

Ang, who was unrepresented, pleaded for leniency and claimed he did not communicate with the Indonesian staff due to a language barrier. Family members said Ang was a non-smoker and gave the contraband cigarettes away to others.

These stupid sh!t-holes ought to be jailed for their stupidities.

Break the law for a mere $756.

Stupid sh!ts..

How come there is no mention of a court marshall for him? Now he smuggle cigarettes, later he may smuggle arms or state secrets.

Supersonic

How come there is no mention of a court marshall for him? Now he smuggle cigarettes, later he may smuggle arms or state secrets.

If any Tom dick and harry NSF has access to state secrets or arms, then our army is even more pointless than it is now.

Talk kok lah. Do you see criminals get charge for crimes they haven't commit?? :wacko:

If any Tom dick and harry NSF has access to state secrets or arms, then our army is even more pointless than it is now.

Obviously he did not go thru NS. [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

That old fogey is one of the most uptight jokers I've seen in my entire life. He fits the perfect bill of the TYPICAL SINGAPOREAN with narrow vision.

then what u want him to say? :ph34r:

of course say things to try to get sentence lighter la

Turbocharged

see..never follow the 8th and 9th 'core' value..

- You can do anything, just don't get caught

- Get caught, act blur..

[laugh]

Me also non-smoker, but I do buy cigges for the shore staff when I sail to overseas port. [lipsrsealed]

These stupid sh!t-holes ought to be jailed for their stupidities.

Break the law for a mere $756.

Stupid sh!ts..

somemore use military vehicle to commit crime.... [hur][hur][hur]

Neutral Newbie

somemore use military vehicle to commit crime.... [hur][hur][hur]

his logic properly be "how often MID vehicle stop by other Gvmt Agencies....u dun Xross my path, I dun Xross yr path mentality

↡ Advertisement