Vextan 1st Gear March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 Today I queued up for twenty minutes at the POSB cash deposit machine to deposit my kids' ang bao money into their account. Behind me in the queue were about ten over person, and when it was my turn, an old lady in a wheel chair with her maid approached me, and asked me to help her update her passbook. I looked at the long queue behind me and hesitated for a short while, then told her to join the queue instead as it would be unfair if i helped her to jump queue. She seemed surprised and stuttered at my refusal to help her. Then as I proceeded with the depositing, i heard someone behind in the queue said that he will help her. Was I wrong in not helping a person in wheel chair ? But I just wanted to be fair to everyone who is queueing, and I think being in a wheel chair with a maid also can queue right ? So if it's you would you have done the same or not ? As I walked away I felt confused whether I was wrong or not. But it wasnt that I am not compassionate, but I just wanted to be fair to everyone. Still, I felt like being an unkind person. hmm .. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Unltd 5th Gear March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 Today I queued up for twenty minutes at the POSB cash deposit machine to deposit my kids' ang bao money into their account. Behind me in the queue were about ten over person, and when it was my turn, an old lady in a wheel chair with her maid approached me, and asked me to help her update her passbook. I looked at the long queue behind me and hesitated for a short while, then told her to join the queue instead as it would be unfair if i helped her to jump queue. She seemed surprised and stuttered at my refusal to help her. Then as I proceeded with the depositing, i heard someone behind in the queue said that he will help her. Was I wrong in not helping a person in wheel chair ? But I just wanted to be fair to everyone who is queueing, and I think being in a wheel chair with a maid also can queue right ? So if it's you would you have done the same or not ? As I walked away I felt confused whether I was wrong or not. But it wasnt that I am not compassionate, but I just wanted to be fair to everyone. Still, I felt like being an unkind person. hmm .. Not wrong, should have simply got the maid to queue. One type of rice feed many diff people, I support the way you handled it. If it was just the old lady in wheelchair, I would probably help. But if she has a maid, she can be waiting in comfort at a shaded or air con area and get the maid to queue. BTW if she was sincere in asking, she should ask you herself instead of getting the maid to approach you. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vextan 1st Gear March 2, 2010 Author Share March 2, 2010 Not wrong, should have simply got the maid to queue. One type of rice feed many diff people, I support the way you handled it. If it was just the old lady in wheelchair, I would probably help. But if she has a maid, she can be waiting in comfort at a shaded or air con area and get the maid to queue. BTW if she was sincere in asking, she should ask you herself instead of getting the maid to approach you. thanks man, i feel a little better. really, it bothers me the whole day and i still felt bad about it. i keep asking if i should have just helped her, and it would seem so kind of me. but my principal somehow told me no. but it was the old lady who asked me to help, not her maid. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tkseah Turbocharged March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 the lady in wheelchair should have asked one of the bank officers for help instead.. bank should decide if wanna give preferential treatment.. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Thugstercena Clutched March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 the lady in wheelchair should have asked one of the bank officers for help instead.. bank should decide if wanna give preferential treatment.. yeah. else ask the maid queue also can ma. chill TS. its always like this. somethings in life make u stuck. 让不对, 不让也不对. (give wrong, dont give also wrong.) Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Picanto 3rd Gear March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 the lady in wheelchair should have asked one of the bank officers for help instead.. bank should decide if wanna give preferential treatment.. preferantial treatment are only given to high net worth individuals. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Rainman 1st Gear March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 Today I queued up for twenty minutes at the POSB cash deposit machine to deposit my kids' ang bao money into their account. Behind me in the queue were about ten over person, and when it was my turn, an old lady in a wheel chair with her maid approached me, and asked me to help her update her passbook. I looked at the long queue behind me and hesitated for a short while, then told her to join the queue instead as it would be unfair if i helped her to jump queue. She seemed surprised and stuttered at my refusal to help her. Then as I proceeded with the depositing, i heard someone behind in the queue said that he will help her. Was I wrong in not helping a person in wheel chair ? But I just wanted to be fair to everyone who is queueing, and I think being in a wheel chair with a maid also can queue right ? So if it's you would you have done the same or not ? As I walked away I felt confused whether I was wrong or not. But it wasnt that I am not compassionate, but I just wanted to be fair to everyone. Still, I felt like being an unkind person. hmm .. U dun help doesn't mean u r not kind, I will help doesn't mean I'm kind (because it's a simple task that dun take long)...... It's the everyday things that makes u or me kind/unkind. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
1l0v3you Clutched March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 haha.. if me i will help. but that's just my opinions. not saying that it's wrong of you to tell her to join the q. it's good that you thought of the people q-ing behind you. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Silver_blade Turbocharged March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 (edited) You are not wrong. But you could have check with a few people behind you if they mind. If they don't....help her to update. I am pretty sure, whatever people say about singaporean...most will be graceful enough to let a wheelchair bound old lady to jump queue. Btw, no need to think so much lah....you are not wrong. Edited March 2, 2010 by Silver_blade Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jlyb86 Neutral Newbie March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 Hi bro, picture this scenario and what the people behind you might be thinking People behind queue thoughts 2nd in line: why you didnt help them? 3rd in line: lucky he never help them, ah bo i wait longer 4th in line: singaporeans not helpful to old and handicap folks. 5th in line: ai ya so hot should let them go first ma, help abit will die meh? 6h in line: hey dont cut queue leh wtf 7th in line: haiz poor ah ma need to queue because first guy selfish 8th in line: so many people queueing still dare cut queue ah, ask maid queue la. 9th in line: too far cant see 10th in line: too far cant see remember the story regarding the father,son and donkey? you cant please everyone:( Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pisces69 6th Gear March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 Today I queued up for twenty minutes at the POSB cash deposit machine to deposit my kids' ang bao money into their account. Behind me in the queue were about ten over person, and when it was my turn, an old lady in a wheel chair with her maid approached me, and asked me to help her update her passbook. I looked at the long queue behind me and hesitated for a short while, then told her to join the queue instead as it would be unfair if i helped her to jump queue. She seemed surprised and stuttered at my refusal to help her. Then as I proceeded with the depositing, i heard someone behind in the queue said that he will help her. Was I wrong in not helping a person in wheel chair ? But I just wanted to be fair to everyone who is queueing, and I think being in a wheel chair with a maid also can queue right ? So if it's you would you have done the same or not ? As I walked away I felt confused whether I was wrong or not. But it wasnt that I am not compassionate, but I just wanted to be fair to everyone. Still, I felt like being an unkind person. hmm .. ============== I guess what u did was fair cos otherwise some of the other pple behind might not b happy. Ya she sud have asked the maid to Q for her of approach the bank staff for assistance. I know it seems "bad" u did not help the disabled, but then she had other options than to ask u to help her to cut the Q. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Davidklt Supercharged March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 I dont want to rub salt to your wound. If I were behind you, I would not mind you updating her passbook. And if you refused, I would do the same think the guy behind you did. Volunteer to help her. With maid or without maid, just do a bit more to let a wheelchair lady get to her next chore a bit faster. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
RadX Moderator March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 thanks man, i feel a little better. really, it bothers me the whole day and i still felt bad about it. i keep asking if i should have just helped her, and it would seem so kind of me. but my principal somehow told me no. but it was the old lady who asked me to help, not her maid. the maid should line up....dun fret too much abt it.....i would have done the same. sometimes you have to 'kill the messenger' to let the rest know if you let her in the queue will make face at you....good for the fella who updated...he will die a happy men Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
RadX Moderator March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 thanks man, i feel a little better. really, it bothers me the whole day and i still felt bad about it. i keep asking if i should have just helped her, and it would seem so kind of me. but my principal somehow told me no. but it was the old lady who asked me to help, not her maid. eh fren...y u use that bank...i go uob, i am the 1st in line even if there are 45 pl queuing....see?? privileges liike 3 wks ago, went upb, wah snaking queue...i simply join the 'privilege banking' change my $$$ and left within 5 mins...can see ppl cussing at me Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vextan 1st Gear March 2, 2010 Author Share March 2, 2010 haha.. if me i will help. but that's just my opinions. not saying that it's wrong of you to tell her to join the q. it's good that you thought of the people q-ing behind you. frankly, i feel kind of bad i didnt help, maybe because i should have just ask those behind me if they mind, and i think they probably wouldnt mind. Or if I had just helped her then I wouldnt feel so guilty today. the worst is, after i told her nicely that i cannot help her because there are others queueing behind and it will be unfair to them, i heard someone from behind said something like 'i will help you' to the old lady, which makes me feel really bad. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
RadX Moderator March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 frankly, i feel kind of bad i didnt help, maybe because i should have just ask those behind me if they mind, and i think they probably wouldnt mind. Or if I had just helped her then I wouldnt feel so guilty today. the worst is, after i told her nicely that i cannot help her because there are others queueing behind and it will be unfair to them, i heard someone from behind said something like 'i will help you' to the old lady, which makes me feel really bad. aiyha...dun let it get to you....really, dun fret the small stuff......not that you killed anyone....wake up lah... huat ah next week...but heard delay nia...cos of big boss Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Vextan 1st Gear March 2, 2010 Author Share March 2, 2010 eh fren...y u use that bank...i go uob, i am the 1st in line even if there are 45 pl queuing....see?? privileges liike 3 wks ago, went upb, wah snaking queue...i simply join the 'privilege banking' change my $$$ and left within 5 mins...can see ppl cussing at me true leh, i ever see a long queue at posb or dbs atm, but the uob atm next to it, is empty ! maybe should consider opening uob account . so much less hassle and no old lady to make me feel guilty. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
RadX Moderator March 2, 2010 Share March 2, 2010 true leh, i ever see a long queue at posb or dbs atm, but the uob atm next to it, is empty ! maybe should consider opening uob account . so much less hassle and no old lady to make me feel guilty. i gave up on posb eons ago.....serious....their svc is really $$$^%^%^$%^ after merger....go w uob you wun go wrong ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
"There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat.
"There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat.
Follow the law or show a little compassion?
Follow the law or show a little compassion?