Is Luis Suarez a hero or a cheat?

Cootie-Monster

that is major offence

deserving of 2 penalties!!! [laugh][laugh]

and it is 2 penalty takers using 2 balls, both to take the penalties at the same time.

the ultimate punishment

And knowing football, 1 shot will hit crossbar, the other will hit the post. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Suarez is dumb.

Maradona's Hand of God stuck to Maradona becos he was like the god of soccer at that point in his career.

What is Suarez? I never even heard of him before his hand-ball.

actually even if you are a soccer legend it doesn't make much difference to me...

remember the recent thierry henry's handball.

all these handballs sometimes happen at the spur of the moment....

thierry henry admitted his mistake unlike these 2 clowns(maradona and suarez) who come up with this dumb "hand of god concept". the dumbest ones are those who take their words so blindly.

Going by the rules, he is a cheat but if I were him, I would have done the same. This is the World Cup for you, people really want to win it badly and sometimes they really win badly.

Video

I think its a real shame even they won the match.... probably only his hometown folks will idolise him.

What a loser.

Turbocharged

He took a gamble and the outcome prove that he is right..... he hand ball kena red card and Gana got penalty... if the Gana were to score from penalty, then he will have lose the gamble..... and look to be very stupid..... but now he is a hero for Uruguay....

Anyway was thinking, can the ref rule that the goal is valid and give him the red card.... if that is so.... then really squeeze balls.....

But basically if he didn't do a handball, then it was a sure goal for Ghana right at that point. At least with a penalty kick, it seemed as if the situation was "reset" and the Uruguayans then got another chance at trying to prevent the ball from going in.

Honestly though this is a clear sign of the death of "sportsmanship" in football. A deliberate handball when the opponent is about to score is downright ungentlemanly and dishonourable.

You see a lot of funny stunts nowadays, plus exploiting the rules like this. He should be punished with more than just a red card, IMHO.

be it eagle or bird eyes, like Blatter says: ftball is a simple game, lets keep it tat way.

Tat mi agree fully. Human errors r part n parcel of ftball which mike it so special [cool] . Want technology???go play American ftball or basketball -_-

Bro, I think you need to get the facts right.

Thierry Henry admitted to his handball after the match. He was unpunished for his handball during the match as the referee missed it. Ultimately, he did not say that he was sorry for committing the handball. No remorse was shown.

"The dumbest ones are those who take their words so blindly." I don't really get you on this. The phrase "hand of god" for Maradona's goal stuck becos it was catchy. I doubt anyone in this world believes that "God told Maradona to use his hand to put the ball into the goal, and so it is a legitimate goal", or that "god was controlling Maradona's hand at that point in time".

Erm... Actually, FIFA is considering this :

FIFA Proposes Yellow Card for Denying an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity

FIFA and IFAB (International Football Associations Board) have scheduled a meeting to discuss a new ruling that would downgrade a red card to a yellow for fouls that deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the box, among other issues up for review.

Instead of giving a red card and a team losing a player for the remainder of the game and the subsequent game, and then facing a penalty kick, the proposed change would lighten the punishment. The proposal would make the incident less dreadful for the offending team, by just giving a yellow card instead of the red, if the referee awards a penalty kick as well. Players who commit a last-man foul outside of the penalty box could still be vulnerable to seeing red under the rule change, but it would remain without the penalty kick.

The concern is that when a player fouls another player during an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the penalty box, there is a triple punishment.

1. A penalty kick is awarded to the opposing team.

2. The player that performed the foul will be given a red card and sent off the field.

3. The player will be suspended from the next game.

An additional issue that will be discussed is whether players should be allowed to feint at all during the run-up to take a penalty. The current law is open to interpretation with feinting being permitted unless the referee considers it

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Bro, I think you need to get the facts right.

Thierry Henry admitted to his handball after the match. He was unpunished for his handball during the match as the referee missed it. Ultimately, he did not say that he was sorry for committing the handball. No remorse was shown.

"The dumbest ones are those who take their words so blindly." I don't really get you on this. The phrase "hand of god" for Maradona's goal stuck becos it was catchy. I doubt anyone in this world believes that "God told Maradona to use his hand to put the ball into the goal, and so it is a legitimate goal", or that "god was controlling Maradona's hand at that point in time".

hmm... nothing wrong in what you are saying.

some players after cheating.... they brag about it. i find it dumb(like why are they even bragging about it?). the dumber ones are those who idolize these players bcos they view this "cheating action" and the explanation given as justifiable or even heroic.

Edited by Blackwind

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Erm... Actually, FIFA is considering this :

FIFA Proposes Yellow Card for Denying an Obvious Goal-Scoring Opportunity

FIFA and IFAB (International Football Associations Board) have scheduled a meeting to discuss a new ruling that would downgrade a red card to a yellow for fouls that deny an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the box, among other issues up for review.

Instead of giving a red card and a team losing a player for the remainder of the game and the subsequent game, and then facing a penalty kick, the proposed change would lighten the punishment. The proposal would make the incident less dreadful for the offending team, by just giving a yellow card instead of the red, if the referee awards a penalty kick as well. Players who commit a last-man foul outside of the penalty box could still be vulnerable to seeing red under the rule change, but it would remain without the penalty kick.

The concern is that when a player fouls another player during an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the penalty box, there is a triple punishment.

1. A penalty kick is awarded to the opposing team.

2. The player that performed the foul will be given a red card and sent off the field.

3. The player will be suspended from the next game.

An additional issue that will be discussed is whether players should be allowed to feint at all during the run-up to take a penalty. The current law is open to interpretation with feinting being permitted unless the referee considers it

Edited by Blackwind

it was a desperate moment for Suarez.. it was the last min of extra time n he did what he had to do... the deliberate handball to prevent a certain goal is wrong, but there are two bigger cheats out there...

1. Fabiano - He controlled the ball twice with his hand when he scored against Ivory Coast. No doubt he has brilliant skill n packs a powerful shot, the way he control the ball twice with his hand makes me feel sick and the ref didnt even spotted those two handballs... Fabiano reminds me of some skillful kid playing at hdb void deck using their hand flamboyantly to cheat, combine with their skills..

2. Henry - everybody saw his deliberate handball against Ireland in the playoff... he handled not once but twice..

No doubt Suarez is a cheat, but Fabiano n Henry r bigger cheats and they duly had their desserts now...

Going by the rules, he is a cheat but if I were him, I would have done the same. This is the World Cup for you, people really want to win it badly and sometimes they really win badly.

Video

its the right thing to do...

even if ghana scored the penalty its still worth while as the header was definitely goal bound... besides its was already 120mins, losing 1 man means nothing...

it was a smart decision and he took one for the team...

i simply dun understand why such "tactical" play will be called a cheat...

if anybody wants to blame, blame it on people who set the rules for not allowing it to be considered a direct goal...

he played WITHIN the rules, committed a technical error, got sent off, ghana gets a penalty and he will miss next game... why is he a cheat lei? he is jus a player doing his best for his country and making a SMART decision

(edited)

FIFA will realy need to look into these two areas after the WC..

1) Goal line technology - Ball defintely crossed the goal line but not awarded to England. Should there be a extra ref standing on goal line? Or use video replay? or use computer chip implant inside ball?

2) Deliberate handball to stop a certain goal - Red card n penalty may not be enuf. Look what happen to Ghana. it was a certain goal in the last min of the game. Should it be awarded a goal n oso a straight red card for the offender? so that players will not hav this unsporting behaviour. But what if the ball accidentally hit the arm/hand? Like in Kewell's case, it was not deliberate but he got sent off wrongfully... use video replay and have three judges by the sideline deciding whether it is deliberate handball?

its impt not to turn football into a game full of debates.. sometimes is it better to let it run naturally cos there will be bound of controversies happening...

Questions... questions...

Edited by Sunnycrowe

Neutral Newbie

it was a desperate moment for Suarez.. it was the last min of extra time n he did what he had to do... the deliberate handball to prevent a certain goal is wrong, but there are two bigger cheats out there...

1. Fabiano - He controlled the ball twice with his hand when he scored against Ivory Coast. No doubt he has brilliant skill n packs a powerful shot, the way he control the ball twice with his hand makes me feel sick and the ref didnt even spotted those two handballs... Fabiano reminds me of some skillful kid playing at hdb void deck using their hand flamboyantly to cheat, combine with their skills..

2. Henry - everybody saw his deliberate handball against Ireland in the playoff... he handled not once but twice..

No doubt Suarez is a cheat, but Fabiano n Henry r bigger cheats and they duly had their desserts now...

my thoughts on this:

hmm... in my view all 3(fabiano, henry, suarez) belong in the same league.... bcos all are intentional....

in the spur of the moment be it last minute or first minute you know u need to get the ball but you know that your body will not be able to do it but your hand can... will you use your hand? this is the option all these players were presented with. all 3 made the same choice.

whom i consider as "smaller" cheats are those who were not given this "option". the ball just happened to hit the hand and fall nicely for the player to score and the player takes advantage of it by scoring the goal.

honest players are ofcourse those who stop and admit they have handballed.

This is world cup...They reach a stage where only the winner will stay...

This is not even league games where competition is deemed like a marathon...

Draw also nvm...

But now, both teams are fighting to get into the semis...

I guess even ghana players will also like that if they were in that position.... [laugh] [laugh]

Supersonic
(edited)

Suarez is a cheat, but many would have done the same with national pride hanging in the balance. I don't think there was even conscious thought that went into it, just reflex. And the penalty (in both senses of the word) for the cheat was perfectly just. It's Gyan's fault for not being able to capitalise on a golden opportunity. (And that would literally have been *the* golden goal, not only would it have been limpeh confirm the last action in the match, it was gifted to him as penalty).

Anyway, Gyan also deserves all this - he has been very selfish in many matches, purposely trying to do a one-man-show when he could easily have passed the ball off to unmarked teammates. Ghana wasted at least another goal-scoring opportunity in the Q-final match because of this, and numerous others in previous matches. He's just reaping what he's sown.

Edited by Turboflat4
↡ Advertisement