Is Luis Suarez a hero or a cheat?

Cootie-Monster

Turbocharged

To Uruguay, he is a hero. To Ghana, he is a cheat.

To the rest of the world, the incident left a bad taste. Its just a matter of bad sportsmanship within the rules of the game. Yes, you can actually win and be a bad sport at the same time. -_-

↡ Advertisement

To Uruguay, he is a hero. To Ghana, he is a cheat.

To the rest of the world, the incident left a bad taste. Its just a matter of bad sportsmanship within the rules of the game. Yes, you can actually win and be a bad sport at the same time. -_-

its ok, there is something call retribution.... look what happen to Argentina [laugh] [laugh]

If you all were in Suarez's shoe.... what will u all do? Do the same thing or just watch the ball fly in?

This is Uruguay best chance to move into the semis...... i think most of us would do the same thing.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

the thread title is misleading.

I would not call this a cheat, but bad sportmanship.

His hand ball stopped the goal and he got his sending off as punishment, a penalty was duly awarded to the team's opponent, all within the established rules. Where is the cheat?

Edited by Knht

The rules of the game allows for u to block the ball in exchange for penalty+red card. So Suarez is just following the rules, and he is more than happy to exchange for penalty+red card, seems very worth it to exchange.

Its the rules that makes it very worthwhile to exchange, and as many guys here says, they will do the same s suarez, so solution change the rules lor.

If they can change the rules over the years, tackle from behind=yellow, keeper cannot handle backpass, etc, they can change anything lah.

Handball for shot on target within goal box (note: not penalty box) = award 1 goal+red card. Then see if Suarez will still choose this option or not next time.

Neutral Newbie

the thread title is misleading.

I would not call this a cheat, but bad sportmanship.

His hand ball stopped the goal and he got his sending off as punishment, a penalty was duly awarded to the team's opponent, all within the established rules. Where is the cheat?

hahaha i know what you mean but it is still considered cheating. when you hand ball you cheat. just bcos you are agreeable to the consequences/punishment given it doesnt make you a non cheater.....

just like let's say you swindle an old ah mah $500,000 of her life savings claiming you will invest for her.... you give the money to your loved one instead, you are ok about getting caught and being declared a bankrupt..... you played by the rules and you are ok with the consequences... but you are still a cheat

Supercharged

football rules are so archaic......

in basketball, if you block a goal bound shot, this is called goal tending and the points/goals are still awarded as in the ball successfully entered the basket.

as to whether this is cheating, cheating carries a meaning of being dishonest. as to whether such an act is professional or dishonest, i think there will always be differing views on it.

Neutral Newbie

hahaha i know what you mean but it is still considered cheating. when you hand ball you cheat. just bcos you are agreeable to the consequences/punishment given it doesnt make you a non cheater.....

just like let's say you swindle an old ah mah $500,000 of her life savings claiming you will invest for her.... you give the money to your loved one instead, you are ok about getting caught and being declared a bankrupt..... you played by the rules and you are ok with the consequences... but you are still a cheat

i kinda disagree with your view as you are comparing orange to apple. In your example, it's life or death situation as it involves and old ah mah's life saving, thus even the culprit got caught and handed the deserving penalise, i agree it's still cheat.

In the case of football, it's a sport and boils down to bad sportmanship. But when the footballer committed bad sportmanship and yet did not get caught nor own up to it, ya, that's a cheat.

Anyway, each has his own benchmark when come to judging moral ground, better we stop at this.

Neutral Newbie

i kinda disagree with your view as you are comparing orange to apple. In your example, it's life or death situation as it involves and old ah mah's life saving, thus even the culprit got caught and handed the deserving penalise, i agree it's still cheat.

In the case of football, it's a sport and boils down to bad sportmanship. But when the footballer committed bad sportmanship and yet did not get caught nor own up to it, ya, that's a cheat.

Anyway, each has his own benchmark when come to judging moral ground, better we stop at this.

hahaha... why so serious... i like it when you share stuff like this... that's when i get to learn new things

(edited)

Wah kaoz.... dunno y u all kpkb so much over this type of thing....what if i was playing for sg, i did the hand of Suarez.... and Singapore goes to WC finals for the first time....

Now u tell me [laugh]

Edited by Dj_spike

Wah kaoz.... dunno y u all kpkb so much over this type of thing....what if i was playing for sg, i did the hand of Suarez.... and Singapore goes to WC finals for the first time....

Now u tell me [laugh]

Henry already did that for France

Neutral Newbie

Now u tell me [laugh]

ppl like me will [shakehead]

but ppl who think that it is fine will support you

some will idolize you and call it "hand of dj spike"

then you can see some children playing soccer trying to attempt "hand of dj spike" in soccer fields

Turbocharged

The guy is a cheat, and I really feel sorry for everyone defending him. When there is no sportsmanship there is nothing. I would far rather lose nobly than win dishonourably.

I also think that Soccer has a LOT to learn from Rugby.

In rugby the referee has the option of awarding a penalty try if, in his opinion an offence prevented a try from being scored. What's more, a penalty try is always "under the posts" meaning the two extra points from a conversion are all but guaranteed. (a lot of conversion attempts from near the sidelines go astray).

In rugby, a player can also be referred to the judiciary based on video evidence after the match and sanctioned. This does not change the outcome of the match, but it does mean that "dirty" players get caught more often, and they do get bans (I could dig up tonnes of sites, but they are easy to find if you are interested so I won't bother yet)

Further, in Rugby there is a video referee and there is actual respect for the referee. If people don't respect the referee, how do you expect them to respect the rules? If they don't repsect the rules, they may as well go play pac man on the easiest setting - this is supposed to be a competition played on an even playing field, not a contest to see who is the more nefarious cheat. If it were up to me, Suarez would be getting a two or three year ban from all levels of the sport.

Further, he has admitted to cheating, so all you prats saying that "it was an instictive reaction" please retract your words...if you are going to defend a cheat like the scum you are, at least be upfront about it and don't try to twist him into anything other than a cynical cheating scumbag that has no morals.

ppl like me will [shakehead]

but ppl who think that it is fine will support you

some will idolize you and call it "hand of dj spike"

then you can see some children playing soccer trying to attempt "hand of dj spike" in soccer fields

Anyone who play soccer at a high and competitive level will tell u its juz instinct.... serious

Which is my pov as well... anyway this is not the first time the hand of whoever strikes [laugh]

Turbocharged

Anyone who play soccer at a high and competitive level will tell u its juz instinct.... serious

Which is my pov as well... anyway this is not the first time the hand of whoever strikes [laugh]

So soccer players are instinctive cheats?

Henry already did that for France

That is more like the ref kelong [laugh]

The diff is suarez did it to save while henry did it to control and assist a goal....

One is instinct and one is purposely cheating(plus kelong ref helps alot) [laugh]

↡ Advertisement