Any good Sec Sch English tuition teacher to recommend?

Berncsp76

Hi all [wave] have a friend whose sec 3 niece is looking for 1 to 1 tuition teacher near Yishun area or better still go to her house to teach.

Found some which are good but charge by the hour and expensive. [knife]

Btw they are from china so need to have good english background, if not at least for sec 3 standard.

Thanks in advance! :D

↡ Advertisement

Hi all [wave] have a friend whose sec 3 niece is looking for 1 to 1 tuition teacher near Yishun area or better still go to her house to teach.

Found some which are good but charge by the hour and expensive. [knife]

Btw they are from china so need to have good english background, if not at least for sec 3 standard.

Thanks in advance! :D

Send her to Morris Allen centre.. There one at Bishan...

Greetings!

My name is James and I would like to put myself up for consideration for this appointment of English tuition teacher for your friend's niece.

Currently am working in MOEHQ and am trained by NIE to teach English in Secondary Schools.

Good thing for both parties is that I also reside in Yishun, so going to the home is more convenient.

I have been working in MOEHQ for the last four years and so this opportunity presents an ideal reintroduction to teaching for me as I will be returning to school after my HQ stint in January 2012.

Prior to my HQ appointment in 2007, I was teaching English and English Literature for 6 years.

You can assure your friend that I am willing to explore going below current market rates as I am admittedly considered "less than current" and a bit rusty. Still, I believe that I can help.

Let your friend consider me.

Thanks heaps and have a cool day!

Rgds

James

Group Tuition!

Current school teacher

with 10yrs experience in tutoring.

(Masters in Education from NIE)

English & Math Group tuition at tutor

For students from China, it is advisable not to engage in group tuition.

Think of it as GPMG vs M16. You need to ensure accuracy in the language vs mass teaching.

Yes MOE officers are allowed up to 6 hrs on the side IIRC.

What you want to look out for will be English Bridging courses if they cannot speak the language at all or have very little ability in the language.

If they are somewhat proficient, then they should start individual tuition.

The current rates for an average Secondary school teacher is $80/hr.

A levels is $110/hr.

Ask for a syllabus rundown from the teacher engaged and hold them for results.

Hope this helps.

• Praise 1

How about tuition center for O level student? any recommendation? its for my younger brother. [laugh]

if it is for languages, it might be too late. indv tuition please. Mass tuition achieves effects on a lesser scale IMHO.

Sorry to dig out an old thread.

My daughter who is in Sec 4 will be taking O level this year.

She is quite stressful recently as she was not doing well for her Pure Chemistry & Physics exam this year.

She did not take any tuition for her previously for this 2 subject.

She asking me to help her find a good tuition teacher this Pure Chemistry & Physics to help her through this year O level.

Prefer to be 1 to 1 or small group.

Location prefer to be in Seng Kang, Punggol or Hougang area.

Any bros here have any recommendation...

Thank you...thank you...

Neutral Newbie

Hi. It's a late reply but I hope it helps someone in the future who reads this thread. To find a good tuition place, you first need to understand that in Secondary level, the focus in English shifts toward critical thinking skills.

Students are required to listen and view critically by applying the full range of listening and viewing skills and strategies, including evaluating the relevance and soundness of arguments.

They have to read closely and critically literary selections of prose, poetry and drama, and informational/ functional texts from diverse sources, at increasing levels of difficulty to understand how language works in context.

Finally, they need to apply knowledge of language features to create a variety of increasingly sophisticated types of texts.

At the same time, they will have a chance to revisit and reinforce grammatical terms and develop vocabulary.

It sounds overwhelming, but it's possible to master English in Secondary level. Someone in this thread mentioned small class size is important and I couldn't agree more. The fastest way to learn is to be able to address your own mistakes and clarify your doubts with someone who knows it better. That's why the comfort level between your child and his or her tutor help to facilitate better knowledge absorption. 

I have a friend who works at this English tuition centre and he's good at conveying information to young learners. Class size is small but if you require 1-to-1 tuition, you can enquire them for more information.

(edited)

Current PSLE Pte tuition (school teachers / NIE grads) rate from $70-$90 / hr for Maths/Science..

Really ex these days.. :mellow:

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 2

Tuition industry has no regulation wan. That's why tuition teachers and centers earn big bucks. Can under declare income also nobody cares/knows. Somemore there is no guaranteed for them to make sure your children get good results. This kinda industry is the best to earn big bucks.

(edited)

Current PSLE Pte tuition (school teachers / NIE grads) rate from $70-$90 / hr for Maths/Science..

go for tuition teachers that has published their own assessment book.

this is the best way to know if the teachers has the passion and knowledge of their trade.

kindly skip 1 run by a woman located in the east, the first meeting, she would bring out an ancient article about how she was featured AMONG others tuition teachers .

the best thing is......you pay her fees thinking she be coaching your kid but instead...she getting intern to teach your kid.

do ask once in a while who is conducting the tuition class

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

Kudos for doing a good search of correct thread to post.

I just praised a 8 years old post.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I see that tuition agency ads for poly or uni level subjects requiring graduate tutors also offer a measly $60 or $70 per hour only leh ...

Got degree and experience but barely even touching CAT 80 [laugh]

↡ Advertisement