Any comments for Chevrolet Optra

Quantum

(edited)

Hi all,

Hunting 2nd car, as the topic, kindly feedback in term of FC, power, reliability, etc

Edited by Quantum
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

face lift, new door latch,more aero dynamic, but the old version was found more worth paying the moolah as it was a bigger car by exterior compared to the magnum

I have the older version, my inlaws have the magnum version.

In terms of driving experience, no difference.

for mods, both have plenty of options that make this a very powerful and stable car in the 1.6 arena.

Yet to hear of a fatal accident or turning turtle.

Fastest speed achieved on non-magnum : 190km/h straight road Malaysia North/South highway, highway turnings : 170Km/h. Stable and in absolute control.

Old Optra : mods : Koni Springs, Apexi intake, Air charger. calipers,

(All rights reserved

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi I have a chevrolet Optra from Nov 2006 for sale. It is a one owner car, free from accident, low mileage, original paint, black colour, super salon car with sport rim and full body kit. If you are interested to view, please contact me at 90600582.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi, i'm considering buying a 6 year old optra but was concern about the maintainence as its an old car. I was advised on buying a Japanese make car but I dont have the budget for it. Can I get some advice on this? Thanks guys [:)]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Hi, i'm considering buying a 6 year old optra but was concern about the maintainence as its an old car. I was advised on buying a Japanese make car but I dont have the budget for it. Can I get some advice on this? Thanks guys [:)]

when buying old cars, get rdy to pay 1k + 2k for repairs. unless you wish it will break down for 4k repairs on the first year of owner ship

also so sorry, no $$ better don't drive.

eg, 3 years ago insurence was 1.4k followed by, 1.8k, 2.2k, NEXT year 2.8K

Edited by Kwanheng

Bad FC in sg, good FC on NSH

Actually, every car also has better FC when cruising, the point is which has better FC on average.

• Praise 2

Driving a manual 1.6 07 Optra Estate.

FC department

FC is bad but like Kwanheng mentioned, HW is good.

Getting less than 10km/L on 40/60 with morning traffic but ~11km/L at times when i travel 10/90 during the weekends.

Handling department

Car is very stable due to the near 1.2 tone weight. I also think that it is due to the MacPherson struct that the car is using.

Actually, better to test the car yourself. As our driving is not the same as your driving.

Built department

Do the keychain test on the roof... you will be surprise to hear a soft landing sound compared to tin can japanese car.. haha... so heavy rain, no problem.

cabin space is big...

Power department

power is subjective... haha... typical NA 1.6 power band is around 3-4k. Dun expect anything from 1-3k as the car is heavy. Of course there are mod to make the 1-3k a bit more responsive but i think no much gain...

It was mentioned by others that the Estate gearbox is much better ratio than the sedan one...

Mod department

Limited by a few brands... not as much things. I still can't find camber kit... haha... and all the coilover (GAB, BC) uses the stock shock mount for the front and not using pillows top from the c/o.

Engine got potential to tune up to almost 1.8L power. If all the items and tuning are done properly.

Maintenance department

Not as cheap as I tot. My previous E36 OEM parts are relatively cheaper. :(

Bottom line

I think this is the lowest depre car in the market considering at it's class. Dun expect much from Althis/Jazz-like FC. Good to own until COE comes down. If you dun need the space... go for any 1L COE car... save the money for later... haha

my 2-cent.

• Praise 2

I had this car for like 6 years.

My first impression is that the car is extremely robust and reliable. I have trashed the car, but it just do not know how to say die.

Infact, there is a time I was driving with radiator empty for 2 months.....and it feels like nothing happened.

Handling wise very good .....I can say that it matches the handling of most conti cars.

FC very poor.......1.6 engine but uses fuel like it is a 2L. But FC ranks quite low in my priority.

Overall, good car to drive......I miss it very much.

• Praise 1

I bought a Chevrolet OPTRA early in 2006, Chevrolet brand cars in the first paragraph of 2.0 liters midsize car, Optra sedan in addition to the general four models, the other also introduced five models of Wagon

• Praise 2

i bought chevy optra back in 2007, now average about 18km/l. Overall wonderful ride.

WOW yr FC 18km/lit is very good. Is it mostly on hways?

I drive the Estate auto n average is only 14km/lit. And this is already considered as very good. Most optras getting abt 10km/lit only.

i agreed with the bro's out there that the optra was a sweet ride but my consumption was abt 9km/L but for bros intend to purchase 2nd hand to note:

1. fuel tank is 60L not the 50L found on most 1.6cc car
  2. check the rpm meter to ensure stablity as i noted alot of our rides have to replaced the throtte body
  • Praise 1

Optra is my first car. Good build. Stability is good for a 1.6L car. Space offered was good. My FC was good...about 12km/L in Singapore. It's a manual though. Heard lots of crap about auto Optra. Anyway, this model obsolete liao. anyone want to get optra better think twice.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2