How To Tell If Aftermarket Rim Is Original Or Replica?

Aeromania

I mean looking at it on the car itself. Or must take out and see from the inside?

Any telltale signs that can split them apart?

Original aftermarket rims and replica ones are quite challenging to differentiate these days.

Some rims can be differentiated from cap cover or sticker. Others will have to see the manufacturing location/country from inside the rim, i.e. remove the rims from the car to check.

However, the biggest difference I find is the weight of the original aftermarket rims and replica ones. Original ones are much lighter.

Having said that, I am using SSR Type C rims. I have used the replica ones before and now using the original ones. To have the peace of mind that I am using the original stuff, I go to the main distributor and get the necessary verification and assurance.

Due to safety factor/issue, I would prefer to use original aftermarket rims. Having tried both the original rims and replica ones, I personally feel that the drive makes a slight difference.

If u want to check wehather it's original or replica go tyreshop & c how they tell u loh........ or ask tem to check when u do tyre rotate & balancing sure got alot of info down there CHEERS i oso learn from those 'lau jiao' from tyre shop. Usually re-con rims hard to tell must go balancing good rim no need much balancer added & very light. It depend on the rim sizes as well

Edited by Swiftboi

it's not easy to tell the difference.

but like what Yuan had mentioned, i reckon that he is experienced enough to tell the difference.

only thing i would like to comment here is that, i got a friend who bought a replica and after one year plus, the rims deformed.

why pay less for something that is not worth a buy? either stick to stock rims or get something original.

rims play an important factor after the tyres and the brakes. not only for looks! it's just so not worth it, really.

First i think we have differentiate Original equipment (OE) and after market (branded and no brand replica )

that is no after market original eqiupment(OE) rim.

Original rim not 100% lighter than replica or after market rim.

jipon rim like SSR is a quality rim imported from Japan ( may not made in japan )

those replica(copied) SSR is Ok to use but dont expect same quailty like Original SSR

To check just seee the rim look for the brand SSR enbossed.

my logic is sometime if the price is too cheap for it be more careful

otherwise made the shop to provide you the official invoice [wave]

Original aftermarket rims and replica ones are quite challenging to differentiate these days.

Some rims can be differentiated from cap cover or sticker. Others will have to see the manufacturing location/country from inside the rim, i.e. remove the rims from the car to check.

However, the biggest difference I find is the weight of the original aftermarket rims and replica ones. Original ones are much lighter.

Having said that, I am using SSR Type C rims. I have used the replica ones before and now using the original ones. To have the peace of mind that I am using the original stuff, I go to the main distributor and get the necessary verification and assurance.

Due to safety factor/issue, I would prefer to use original aftermarket rims. Having tried both the original rims and replica ones, I personally feel that the drive makes a slight difference.

I'm currently running on advan rs and it does say made in japan at the back of the wheel, but isn't that "replic-able" also? coz my wheel doesn't have the center cap but overall looks rather real.

I've been told that replica rims manufacture go to the extend of printing stickers to make it 100% real, the only way is to see inside the rim where they have QC stamps, can only do it when you remove the tyres.

I've been told that replica rims manufacture go to the extend of printing stickers to make it 100% real, the only way is to see inside the rim where they have QC stamps, can only do it when you remove the tyres.

replica rim normal wont dare to print Made in Japan, so those are original one and i think advan RS does not come with cap

we can always ask the see the orignal product catalog if the picture shown no cap means NO cap from factory

making just sticker is very easy for any products

First i think we have differentiate Original equipment (OE) and after market (branded and no brand replica )

that is no after market original eqiupment(OE) rim.

Original rim not 100% lighter than replica or after market rim.

jipon rim like SSR is a quality rim imported from Japan ( may not made in japan )

those replica(copied) SSR is Ok to use but dont expect same quailty like Original SSR

To check just seee the rim look for the brand SSR enbossed.

my logic is sometime if the price is too cheap for it be more careful

otherwise made the shop to provide you the official invoice [wave]

Huh?? original rim not 100% lighter than replica??

SSR not made in japan? ? why would they want to do that?? Then why Toyota not made in Japan?

To check, I tot check whther made in japan??

before we want to compare repical or orginal, we have to ask ourself, what = to repical/after market rims.

advanti rim/ kyowa rim/ ssw etc all have their own design and make their own rim, which carry the international marking on the rim, VIA ,JWL , TUV . these marking cert that the rim pass the international and sg test and is safe to use on road.

do we call rims from these brand NOT ORGINAL? some advanti rim etc etc brand have their own unique design which even euro/ jap brand rim dun have .

i used both type of rim. my personal view is the only thing we can compare is the brand, and where the rim is make.

thats all. make in japan, italy thailand tawian, china etc etc.

and pls dun assume non jap/euro or so call branded rim = heavy .

replica rim normal wont dare to print Made in Japan, so those are original one and i think advan RS does not come with cap

we can always ask the see the orignal product catalog if the picture shown no cap means NO cap from factory

making just sticker is very easy for any products

Sorry Robert, do you mean the wheel center cap? For some rays model, those are sold separately. I believe the TS is mentioning about 2nd wheels. But ultimately, it's the weight that tells the difference

I'm currently running on advan rs and it does say made in japan at the back of the wheel, but isn't that "replic-able" also? coz my wheel doesn't have the center cap but overall looks rather real.

In my opinion, the best way is to check out the original rims catalogue or go to the distributor here.

even the paper also can fake , best is still take oem rim or other brand oem

To a certain extent, I agree with OEM rims.

Will probably stick to that with my next ride. Maybe OEM sports rims.

Huh?? original rim not 100% lighter than replica??

SSR not made in japan? ? why would they want to do that?? Then why Toyota not made in Japan?

To check, I tot check whther made in japan??

anyway what so important if you got a Original SSR rim but not made in Japan?

we are going for the design, Quaility not the origin.

CAr makers are Multi billion business , so they have made the production origin open and we all know Toyota has many plant all over the world.

If you are fan of Toyota so long you buy it from AD why should you bother by the Origin?

We trust trust the Brand so we have to trust them all from them.

We have 2 main Toyota origin Japan and Thailand.

Some say PI Toyota from Jpn is better than AD Thailand [confused]

WHy? main reason is (MHO) because PI sell lower price.

If a Japan Camry from PI sell at $160k and A Thailand built Camry from AD sell at $145k will you say the Japan one better?

anyway what so important if you got a Original SSR rim but not made in Japan?

we are going for the design, Quaility not the origin.

CAr makers are Multi billion business , so they have made the production origin open and we all know Toyota has many plant all over the world.

If you are fan of Toyota so long you buy it from AD why should you bother by the Origin?

We trust trust the Brand so we have to trust them all from them.

We have 2 main Toyota origin Japan and Thailand.

Some say PI Toyota from Jpn is better than AD Thailand [confused]

WHy? main reason is (MHO) because PI sell lower price.

If a Japan Camry from PI sell at $160k and A Thailand built Camry from AD sell at $145k will you say the Japan one better?

I do not know for other brand apart from SSR. I was told by staff from Arrow tyre shop that if it is from Japan it is the original rim.

If it is japan design then it is a replicate.

↡ Advertisement