Jump to content

Cheong VS Genuine


Strudel-
 Share

Recommended Posts

like i always say, original is usually the best. but people don't realize until it's a little too late :P

 

Haha yeah that's for sure. By the way since you were interested in the w124, point to note, there are quite a number of old w124's with fake sports rims of that generation. I'm currently using a set of original w210 rims which i bought off my friend when he decided to clear his store room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

By saying temperature I mean it might be too cold for that cheong rim on that evo ix. Notice the owner bought the rim for winter? For everyday normal weather use I think it'll be fine but some replica does warp or get buckled very easily. And I dare say most cannot take a strong hit.

 

My previous lmgt4 was more than 10 years old and still is good until I hit a kerb. The impact was so great that it bent my control arm and tierod. These are high tensile steel we're talking about. Anyway, the rim was buckled and cannot be fixed but no crack at alll.

 

At the end of the day, it probably wouldn't matter as much if its a family car. But for performance built vehicle, maybe think twice. Got money buy that kinda of car why go cheap?

Edited by Strudel-
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.... my Enkeis are made in Taiwan, so is it original or fake? [laugh]

 

Lol. I would think it's fake cos genuine Enkei is suppose to make in Japan. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Btw, genuine rims more resist to kerb rash compared to chiong?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. I would think it's fake cos genuine Enkei is suppose to make in Japan. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Btw, genuine rims more resist to kerb rash compared to chiong?

 

Not true. Any rim can be scratch but original rims are tougher as in won't dent or crack so easily.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not true. Any rim can be scratch but original rims are tougher as in won't dent or crack so easily.

 

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/...ity_wheels.html

 

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...ays-wheels.aspx

 

This article will explain why Rays' forged rims are that expensive... To be honest, I'm very impressed by R&D.

 

I do stress, I have nothing against replica on family cars but as a car enthusiast, I dont think you should be getting them if you're doing any form of racing be it illegal or legal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/...ity_wheels.html

 

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...ays-wheels.aspx

 

This article will explain why Rays' forged rims are that expensive... To be honest, I'm very impressed by R&D.

 

I do stress, I have nothing against replica on family cars but as a car enthusiast, I dont think you should be getting them if you're doing any form of racing be it illegal or legal.

 

It's still very unwise to put knock offs on any car. Family car or not. What's the point? Get more people involved in an accident when the rims fail due to the amount of load that they're put under?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still very unwise to put knock offs on any car. Family car or not. What's the point? Get more people involved in an accident when the rims fail due to the amount of load that they're put under?

 

Dont know man. I never heard of replica breaking due to that or just from normal driving. Ones that I do know of are breaking due to impact and warping/buckling due to pothole and driving. The warping/buckling is a mate of mine and those breaking are from reading online. Which is why that leads me to thinking that rim that broke on the Evo IX might be due to the temperature. Its cold during winter and after some hard driving the rim became warm, maybe it broke due to being exposed to temperature change too many times??

 

If they use cheap material and technique to make the rims, I wouldnt be surprise if that happens. Imagine sub-zero temperature then become 20degrees or something and repeat that for a few times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes you're right.

i am an exception out of the norm [cool]

and i understand where you coming from.

 

i don't like people to zoom zoom around me also..

because i ever out run a picanto that is heavily zhng-ed. i feel bad for making him look bad.

 

bought this car 2nd hand 3 yrs ago, the rim is badly scratched, chrome plating all gone..

so no choice i need to change it.. at the same time, upsize it.

 

went to S.H Bro.... that time,, very hot in forum,, didn't know he sell imitation goods.. i only know the price is good..

but now i looking for 2nd hand non-imitation ones.. i would rather use money on proper maintenance and petrol.

looks of the car to me is still secondary. proper upkeep of the car is still primary, of course, safety too.

 

Heavily zhnged picanto meaning a ricer picanto?

 

You even see this with TSs that try too hard to be WRXs.

Fake wedssport rims, never change drum brakes to disc, no rear spoiler but got hood scoop and loud exhaust.

Encountered one TS owner who stared at me at the lights and wanted to race. Outran him at 3 times at 3 traffic lights. Every time he lost he kept revving his exhaust louder and louder.

 

Yeah making sure that the car's internal components are working fine is indeed more important. That's why since my car's COE expires in 2013, despite the fact that there a lot of scratches on the paint and rust around the trunk lid, i ain't repairing it. What's more important is that my engine, brakes, suspension, tyres and transmission are working fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont know man. I never heard of replica breaking due to that or just from normal driving. Ones that I do know of are breaking due to impact and warping/buckling due to pothole and driving. The warping/buckling is a mate of mine and those breaking are from reading online. Which is why that leads me to thinking that rim that broke on the Evo IX might be due to the temperature. Its cold during winter and after some hard driving the rim became warm, maybe it broke due to being exposed to temperature change too many times??

 

If they use cheap material and technique to make the rims, I wouldnt be surprise if that happens. Imagine sub-zero temperature then become 20degrees or something and repeat that for a few times.

 

I do believe they use cheap material in making these rims which explains their price, a mere fraction of what the originals cost. Replicas can get bent or warped when the load of the car is more than what the replica rim is designed for. This doesn't happen immediately but will happen over time. By the time it bends or warps, it most probably is on the verge of breaking. If the owner notices it then good but what if the owner doesn't notice it and continues to drive like normal? The rim may break causing him to get into an accident.

Edited by Fastfive1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah making sure that the car's internal components are working fine is indeed more important. That's why since my car's COE expires in 2013, despite the fact that there a lot of scratches on the paint and rust around the trunk lid, i ain't repairing it. What's more important is that my engine, brakes, suspension, tyres and transmission are working fine.

 

Hahaha. Same for me too!

 

I see so many people with cars that look good but every now and then something break or problem. Best if dont push the car to its limit. Be happy with getting 80-90% of the car and you'd be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. I would think it's fake cos genuine Enkei is suppose to make in Japan. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Btw, genuine rims more resist to kerb rash compared to chiong?

 

the hard truth...... FAKE [laugh]

 

originally fake? [laugh]

 

Unfortunately, all of you are wrong.. :D

 

I'm surprised nobody knows of Enkei Tuning. To be honest, neither did I, until I did more research on the rims.

 

http://www.enkeituning.com/index.php

 

Enkei Tuning is the fruit of 30 years of collaborations between

the YHI Group and Enkei Corporation. From distributing

Enkei

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.... my Enkeis are made in Taiwan, so is it original or fake? [laugh]

Usually this type of Enkei are made for car factory,my O.E.M. Camry's Enkei are from Taiwan..

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...