Engine check light

Congxdead

hi fellow mates . during cny period went to NSHW. My crusing speed was above average at 130km/h all the way till muar. Nothing happens till i rch sg. The engine check light appears. Went to my nearby workshop to diagnosis it and was given a error code as o2 sensor defaultive. I was told that my car has a 2 o2 sensor position? Everything ended within 3mins, and was told to paid a fee of $50?! just to check the error code. So i would like to ask if it is normal to pay these amt of fee just to check whats the error code? thanks in advance.and btw, o2 sensor costing ard 250 normal?

↡ Advertisement

On high side for 3min svc.

That also included rental for the diagnostic equipment.

Once electronic gadget is involved, its "professional svc" fee.

now that you know it's O2 sensor, you can go to your choiced or preferred workshop.

Edited by 5936

Turbocharged

I bought this simple OBD II scanner from ebay for S$30+

Scan and erase codes to your heart's content.

hey bro.. can scan and erase codes for all car types?

i got an irritating intermittent CEL for a faulty cruise control, that i never use.. wanna go workshop erase but buay gam wan spend $$$ for a few minutes job

hey bro.. can scan and erase codes for all car types?

i got an irritating intermittent CEL for a faulty cruise control, that i never use.. wanna go workshop erase but buay gam wan spend $$$ for a few minutes job

Most, if not all, OBDII reader can read error codes and erase CEL.

However, it must first be able to talk to your car ECU with the right protocol.

If it can't, then it's useless.

If you purchase code readers or scanners sold in US market, chances they are designed for the US manufactured cars including the Asian brands. They will not be able to fully communicate with cars manufactured in Europe, Asia, Japan export and Japan domestic. Europe cars are using EOBD protocol which is slightly different in the 16pin ODB2 socket configuration.

post-272-1328506087_thumb.jpg

It is best not to 100% trust the code reader info. Since o2 sensor are expensive components, I suggest you request yr mech to do a o2 sensor simulation test ( chances of finding a shop with such tester maybe NIL). The problem can be due to other the fuel system components malfuctioning.

Edited by Yeobh

There are so many causes that results in O2 Sensor CEL. How many km have you ran without changing O2 sensors? They are normally good for 100k.

It could also be due to MAF sensor's fault. If you are quite inclined with these mechanical stuff, you might want to see which part is the cheapest and the oldest part in your car. If not, I think it's still best to send it to the workshop (most likely will tell you to change all 3 items).

for my car, the MAF and the O2 sensors each cost $50+.

There are so many causes that results in O2 Sensor CEL. How many km have you ran without changing O2 sensors? They are normally good for 100k.

It could also be due to MAF sensor's fault. If you are quite inclined with these mechanical stuff, you might want to see which part is the cheapest and the oldest part in your car. If not, I think it's still best to send it to the workshop (most likely will tell you to change all 3 items).

for my car, the MAF and the O2 sensors each cost $50+.

my car o2sensors cost 250. reasonable? driving swift sports

hi fellow mates . during cny period went to NSHW. My crusing speed was above average at 130km/h all the way till muar. Nothing happens till i rch sg. The engine check light appears. Went to my nearby workshop to diagnosis it and was given a error code as o2 sensor defaultive. I was told that my car has a 2 o2 sensor position? Everything ended within 3mins, and was told to paid a fee of $50?! just to check the error code. So i would like to ask if it is normal to pay these amt of fee just to check whats the error code? thanks in advance.and btw, o2 sensor costing ard 250 normal?

So far when I go to workshops to do a check for such checks, they don't charge me, especially if it is the workshop I frequent, I guess this workshop really want to carrot you....$50 for a 3 minute check seems abit excessive

my car o2sensors cost 250. reasonable? driving swift sports

Is this the price from the workshop or from the suzuki swift stockist? $250 for a O2 sensor is quite expensive. O2 sensors are usually quite similar in function/design. I dunno maybe just the size / screw thread is different? And maybe the cable length is different? There are also a few categories of O2 sensors but mine at $50, is already one with the built in heater..... I heard O2 sensors cost 200+ in JB but thats in Ringgit!!

↡ Advertisement