Hdb flat renovation

Ysc3

anyone did renovation to their flat in the past six months ?

got reliable renovation company to recommend ?

not doing fanciful reno ... eg no customized furniture except the kitchen cabinet, so dun really need ID but more like a supervisor to get the job done.

alternatively, can also tell me which company to stay away from.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement

Go for those that your friends or relatives who gave thumbs-up from their experience.

My colleague saw one ads below his block and hired the contractor. End up his kitchen and living room are not done yet despite passing the deadline by 1 month and now he's going to go to the Small Claims Tribunal 'cos the contractor has disappeared and does not answer his calls.

Best is the sub-con turned up at his house and said that the main-con asked him to do so 'cos the sub-con is waiting for $ collection for 3 jobs. From the sub-con, my colleague's case is not the worst, there are 2 more customers who are in worse conditions than him. [lipsrsealed]

tried the reno forums ... including the above ... but seems like most ppl disappear after their reno is done. so its almost impossible to get feedback.

and frankly, when those with a couple of posts reply, you can't help but wonder if they are the contractors themselves ?

i tried emailing a few forumers there but same thing ... no reply.

Go for those that your friends or relatives who gave thumbs-up from their experience.

... but none of my relatives did reno recently ... most are still living in their more than 15 yr old flats ... lastest is a colleague whose contractor was late in completion for almost 1 month, for which for 1 week, had to put them up in hotel !! then after they moved in, the reno-coy had to come in on a few weekends to do the carpentry.

and my concern is like what you and others had mentioned - the disappearing contractors.

Edited by Ysc3

tried the reno forums ... including the above ... but seems like most ppl disappear after their reno is done. so its almost impossible to get feedback.

and frankly, when those with a couple of posts reply, you can't help but wonder if they are the contractors themselves ?

i tried emailing a few forumers there but same thing ... no reply.

I have been reading Renotalk for few months, wanted to renovate my house including re-doing the whole kitchen. for a few contacts for contractors and asking them to quote. I dun need an ID but a season contractors who has been working on similar concept that I have I mind.

There are a few mentioned in Renotalk, just ask the forumer for the contact. many have post photo of their renovation where you can decide which contact actor you want to go with.

• Praise 1

I think good or no good is the contractor the reno co. use.

most of them did their job, collect all money and they will not be responsible for any more touch up or replacement etc.

I pm you to AVOID a contractor co. So make sure if you walk in to any reno co. , ask them what contractor they use. IMO hope it helps!

• Praise 2

not doing fanciful reno ... eg no customized furniture except the kitchen cabinet, so dun really need ID but more like a supervisor to get the job done.

Mr Lau (Sun Hup Interior) 9768 0883

but he might be back in malaysia during this festive period..

• Praise 2

Reno co is a string. You walk in , they will have an interior designer to plan all for you. After planning and you agree with it, they will quote you.

Make sure you have to know every single material that you will use in your reno. Nowadays, many people chose to buy the material by their own and thought it will save a lot. My point of view, it is not true all the time.

I point out a simple case. If you are painting a 5 room flat, you let the contractors arrange everything and they will quote you one price, if you say you buy your own paint, make sure you have the knowledge how much to use. If not, you will be buying over and over again ( because they use 5 cans, they keep 2 cans unless you can be in the house when they work )...........brushes, pails etc not included. So do some calculation, whatever tiles, lightings, toilet etc............

I had a very bad experience that I overpaid a 5 star reno with 3 star quality. I leave everything to the company and end up, many of the materials are "salt water" stuff.

Hope this helps!!! IMO

Edited by Shor

actually, i thought about the same thing ... in the showroom they can show you nice tiles of good quality ... but we can't be sure that they won't use same design/look tile but the quality is inferior.

there is always this thing of over-promising and under-delivering and their contracts make it hard for the layman to pinpoint any discrepancies. The only good thing is we pay part by part ... but then again if they stop work due to indifferences, there will be a stalemate.

Another trick.... While renovating, do post in renotalk and make sure the contractor knows it.... Renotalk is a powerful site which reputable renovator will not dare ti mess with.... however, do be responsible and evaluate the renovator fairly. dont act like king and be served kao kao....

• Praise 2

i tried to post since last last, asking about feedback on a reno coy ... till today not displayed on the website yet.

i tried to post since last last, asking about feedback on a reno coy ... till today not displayed on the website yet.

renotalk not very active nowadays, best that you go through the past threads

• Praise 1

renotalk not very active nowadays, best that you go through the past threads

can't blame them though ... unlike cars, ppl dun "mod" their houses every now and then ... [laugh]

I did a reno last December...did the whole Kitchen (Tiles, tops and cabinets) and re-wallpaper and repainting plus the added stuff that usually my wife is adding on (you know how it goes)...I was at my place (yes clear leave before year end to supervise on-site my renovation but worth it though tiring as I can immediately say to add this to go this way myself not relying on the contractor to download the info to his guys doing the work)...got the chance to compare and view options also specially on tiles, taps etc..

Pricing wise quite ok if I compare with a co-league but his one is the whole house....support wise, during the reno if the guy is called in he will respond...post renovation, still answer my calls for touchups and actually have some other stuff but not that rush but still can commit...

Only gripe is the uncle was don't know if too much coffee but really pushing work...during the course of work I was the one who tries to slow down and ask to see the sample before going ahead...carpentry is done by themselves...not subcon...

If you want I can pm the contact...their office in woodlands...marsiling estate...

• Praise 1

It is safer to use a reno contractor that is a RADAC member, HDbay member, and if possible, also use a company that is ISO certified, and also been in business for at least 10 years. I used a company that has all the above profile for last 2 reno, with 2 different project coordinator, and also recommended to 2 other friends, all no problem

• Praise 1

And I always KS get at least 3 to 5 quotations.. just to have a rough feel and compare a little and bargain a little. but unlike governments, I don't settle for the lowest price. Always remember, all the materials are different, if y order from same material, and different companies quote roughly the same, but got one that's super low price.. how can it be right? And lastly, I prefer to use a freindly and responsible coordinator as according to my gut feel..

↡ Advertisement