Advice on BMW 320i and 520i in 2008

Beachboy7718

My mum still drives the E60 523 while my wife once had the 318. No major issues for the past 6 years on 523. Sent PML for servicing. IIRC, the most expensive thing she did was the batt change which was 600. Apparently, the BMW uses special batt. haha. No chance to service the 318. Only had it for 8 months.

Drive wise, the 523 is quite fast. I can pull with those old school V-tec. Not bad but i didn't pia all the way cos that time just collected the car. Running in.. Moving off a bit sluggish though. Oh ya, after my run with the V-tec, petrol drop half. was a short distance run.

318 is hopeless in acceleration. But cornering still there. Can still out run most japs on the bends. On NSHW, it's not bad. Suprisingly, can cruise effortlessly at 200km/h.

To be honest, i think the downside abt BMW is the petrol consumption. On the 318, petrol bill was 600 a month. On my wife's current A1, it's only roughly 300.

E60 523i? It feels fast when you are in the cockpit, but it is not all that. It is as fast as those W211 E classes, which is not saying much and you're going head to head with a supercharged 1.8L heavy ass car.

My wife currently drives the E60 523i (bought second hand a few years ago) and she previously drove a Cooper S. Just like you. Her car review: "the MINI was really cute and fast but the 5 series is smoother". So there, fast is not all that important in a 523i.

↡ Advertisement

Get a 325i or a 523i.

320i or 520i car is too heavy.

Yup... especially the E90 325i we get here are the high-tuned version.... 2.5L pumping 218BHP... creamy smooth...

try avoid those 4-potters (N46), most 320/520 owners will tell you its okay... self justication lah....

1.5ton body is not light to begin with... haha

Want reliable and brand? Buy a BMW emblem and stick on on the Altis.

Problem solved.

Bimmers are not for the 'Toyota-loving' group of people.

Personal experience

320i 2008 bought 2nd hand in Dec 2011

Went to the garage three times

1- airconditioning down -- 900

2- rear window mechanism down -- 700

3- Coolant tank burst, engine affected -- 2800

Fed up, sold the car upon the last repair in Oct 2012

Bought a IS250 2008

Driven the car so far.. no problems

In truth, somehow still feel the beemer ride is slightly more stable, less dumpy, not to say the IS250 is not good. In terms of interior finishing.. each got pros and cons.

Just got to weigh what you really prefer..

Personal experience

Bought a IS250 2008

In truth, somehow still feel the beemer ride is slightly more stable, less dumpy, not to say the IS250 is not good. In terms of interior finishing.. each got pros and cons.

Driving on NSH @ 150km/h on E39 520. I can open coke bottle with 2 hands. [laugh] [laugh]

I guess you bought it for the badge.

Personal experience

Bought a IS250 2008

Thx bro. Seems Jap car is more reliable when age up and repairs are cheaper. Nobody likes to visit workshop frequently. I change my Jap cars normally within 5 years. I do not encounter major problems yet. At this time, try to change my estima (3 yrs old) to used sedan in SG for saving $$$ while I can buy PI estima in MY for family usage. Noted with all sharings.

Thx bro. Seems Jap car is more reliable when age up and repairs are cheaper. Nobody likes to visit workshop frequently. I change my Jap cars normally within 5 years. I do not encounter major problems yet. At this time, try to change my estima (3 yrs old) to used sedan in SG for saving $$$ while I can buy PI estima in MY for family usage. Noted with all sharings.

BMW fanboy bought BMW for the drive. Not the Abham tank reliability. That's why i told you earlier to stick to Jap. You will not be take the horror story.

BMW fanboy bought BMW for the drive. Not the Abham tank reliability. That's why i told you earlier to stick to Jap. You will not be take the horror story.

[thumbsup]

Won't save $ changing to BMW. But the shioknes of the drive, in return you buy with money.

320i/520i the engine is crappy. If you want go for 323i/523i. The inline 6 is the better engine.

Won't save $ changing to BMW. But the shioknes of the drive, in return you buy with money.

320i/520i the engine is crappy. If you want go for 323i/523i. The inline 6 is the better engine.

Might as well top up a little more and get the E90 325i or E60 525i, if you really want the better engine. The original N52B25 is much smoother, freely revving and powerful than the detuned N52B25 of the 323i/523i.

cannot afford to change to 6pot 3/5s now, so i guess my current IS250 6pots is better option when i got it cheap 2 years back haha

So is V6 better or Inline6 better?

cannot afford to change to 6pot 3/5s now, so i guess my current IS250 6pots is better option when i got it cheap 2 years back haha

So is V6 better or Inline6 better?

Definitely IL6. No need counter balanced shaft.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

i want to buy a bmw car radio,completive price and high quality , anyone knows where to get it?

Thx and br!

170k would be a better price for a brand new 520. :)

Soon cos i believe.

Yes few years back...ard 170+ can get the E60 6pot 523 Liao...

Now only can keep our fingers cross and hope for a 4 pot to be cheaper lor...Haiz

Look at the OMV of F10 520 only 41 but asking 218...so sad!!!

↡ Advertisement