10 things I learned about Carousell

Pocus

Turbocharged

After using Carousell for 1 month (As a seller), this is what I've learn about Singapore's no.1 buying and selling community, do you agree? please share your views too!

1) The demography of the buyer of Carousell are, disappointingly, mostly cash strapped people or students with little pocket money. Of course there are geniune buyers willing to pay the price, but they are the minority in the group.

2) It is wise to list your price higher that what you are willing to let go. Most often than not, person will negoiate with you are unbelievable low prices. You will type word "no lowballers" or "MIA" more often in than ever.

3) Buyers almost never read the description, so don't bother overloading them with info.

4) Items with alot of "likes" usually stays listed for a long time. Items with not much "likes" usually gets sold within days.

5) Some buyers asked questions that makes you wonder if they are actually serious or just trolling.

6) If you sell ladies cloth articles, there will be 1 or 2 jokers asking if it can be sold worned.

7) You get members following you but when you read their profile and items they sell, it's totally not relevant to what you are selling, especially ladies stuff.

8) Some buyers demand you to meet them at their convenience instead of your schedule. These buyers tend to think the seller is running a business and customer service is an entitlement. I usually ask them to buy elsewhere.

9) Buyers who fail to negotiate will usually use the ultimatum to bargain, like "eBay is cheaper, Amazon got sell cheaper, can buy x10 pcs from Taobao, Shops sell cheaper". I wish them all the best.

10) Carousell is for you to cut your losses, not to make a profit. If you are planning to sell your limited edition superman comicbook which had inflated to 100x the original price based on Market rate, you will have better luck with eBay or comic forums.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

After using Carousell for 1 month (As a seller), this is what I've learn about Singapore's no.1 buying and selling community, do you agree? please share your views too!

1) The demography of the buyer of Carousell are, disappointingly, mostly cash strapped people or students with little pocket money. Of course there are geniune buyers willing to pay the price, but they are the minority in the group.

2) It is wise to list your price higher that what you are willing to let go. Most often than not, person will negoiate with you are unbelievable low prices. You will type word "no lowballers" or "MIA" more often in than ever.

3) Buyers almost never read the description, so don't bother overloading them with info.

4) Items with alot of "likes" usually stays listed for a long time. Items with not much "likes" usually gets sold within days.

5) Some buyers asked questions that makes you wonder if they are actually serious or just trolling.

6) If you sell ladies cloth articles, there will be 1 or 2 jokers asking if it can be sold worned.

7) You get members following you but when you read their profile and items they sell, it's totally not relevant to what you are selling, especially ladies stuff.

8) Some buyers demand you to meet them at their convenience instead of your schedule. These buyers tend to think the seller is running a business and customer service is an entitlement. I usually ask them to buy elsewhere.

9) Buyers who fail to negotiate will usually use the ultimatum to bargain, like "eBay is cheaper, Amazon got sell cheaper, can buy x10 pcs from Taobao, Shops sell cheaper". I wish them all the best.

10) Carousell is for you to cut your losses, not to make a profit. If you are planning to sell your limited edition superman comicbook which had inflated to 100x the original price based on Market rate, you will have better luck with eBay or comic forums.

Agreed with all the points stated Bro. Received many stupid questions especially. And I'll just ignore them. Basically, if you're not in a hurry to sell your stuff, Carousell is a good medium. Very easy to differentiate good buyers and trolls. Maybe it's my luck, but I sold my verna at a very good price there. Almost 10k more than dealers offered. But took me 3-4mths though.. Remember not to drop your price though.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Actually most websites where you can sell things online is like that. I sell items on many forums before and encountered the same things as well.

Turbocharged

never been there before

dont like to sell things

rather keep them

If I have a choice I also won't sell my stuff. But I don't have a basement or attic and my storeroom has become a hazard, no choice

used carousell to sell my used phone and managed to sell it within 1 day..

Low ballers are always there when you sell things online...

the good thing about carousell is that there is an chat option.

this is good as one can communicate to each other without revealing your contacts....

Edited by Strat

Actually most websites where you can sell things online is like that. I sell items on many forums before and encountered the same things as well.

Though seriously, I have encountered higher instances of people asking questions for fun then disappearing after that via that platform..Perhaps its just too easy to ask for fun..

Also..there tend to be people asking for trades even though my listing clearly states I'm not looking for trades..

"No, I do not want your skateboard for my bluetooth speaker.."

There's just this much I can take before slapping these folks with a trout..

Yep, have to agree that the issues mentioned are the same in other forums and not unique to carousell. Hence the practices are also the same. Sellers price higher to nego down, buyers offer lower to nego up is normal practice everywhere. It even happens in normal shops (where prices can be bargained, eg. watches). Recently bought a watch from big AD. First visit, salesperson offer 20% disc. Seond visit couple of days later, she offer 25% and said best price. I walked out. Couple of days later went back again and told her to call her boss to ask him 28% can or not, take it or leave it. Deal was done.

Anyway as for carousell, so far i have not sold anything yet but its not cos i don't want to but rather cos i only joined couple of months ago and have nothing to sell at the current time. But I have bought before from carousell. The main thing i like is the chat function which enables buyers and sellers to have live chat without needing to exchange mobile numbers, i.e. privacy protected.

Yep, have to agree that the issues mentioned are the same in other forums and not unique to carousell. Hence the practices are also the same. Sellers price higher to nego down, buyers offer lower to nego up is normal practice everywhere. It even happens in normal shops (where prices can be bargained, eg. watches). Recently bought a watch from big AD. First visit, salesperson offer 20% disc. Seond visit couple of days later, she offer 25% and said best price. I walked out. Couple of days later went back again and told her to call her boss to ask him 28% can or not, take it or leave it. Deal was done.

Anyway as for carousell, so far i have not sold anything yet but its not cos i don't want to but rather cos i only joined couple of months ago and have nothing to sell at the current time. But I have bought before from carousell. The main thing i like is the chat function which enables buyers and sellers to have live chat without needing to exchange mobile numbers, i.e. privacy protected.

On the other hand,

My friend nego with a dealer for $200 discount.

Car was sold the next hour to other.

Hoarder spotted. [laugh]

Same Same... I rather keep. Rather keep them (example cameras, phones, etc) and pass to children as play toys.

never been there before

dont like to sell things

rather keep them

Edited by Kangadrool

Hoarder spotted. [laugh]

Same Same... I rather keep. Rather keep them (example cameras, phones, etc) and pass to children as play toys.

So far, I got sell all my old hand phones, one lens, one memory card

Nothing much to sell anyway

Old camera, can use continue to use

Old truck, continue to use

Only old handphone, every time will sell when renew line

Sold quite a few things from Xiaomi phones to shoes to my Anime stuff...some takes longer, some quite fast...

There's always low baller...i just ignore...

Turbocharged

You guys on the internet how long liao? What's described above is quite normal. Just remember when selling or buying things. No reserve, no upfront payment. Whoever pass the cash first, will get the goods immediately.

I've used it both as a seller and as a buyer (toys related as well as fitness stuff).

Don't expect a profit and you'll be ok.. And if you get trollers, just ignore them lor..

8. Some people are running a business on Caro, so negotiation for deal location is normal la.. Don't get pissed because they wanted somewhere near by to them. Coz you'd want the same too..