DIY steering wheel wrap - very nicely done !

carloverguy2017

Here is a very successful DIY project - leather wrap ( or Alcantera ) on steering wheel.

The wrap is customised for each specific model of steering wheel, and they provide all necessary items required for the DIY, which is a rather nice feature .

There shall be no mention of what seller since this post is to show you how easy to DIY your steering wrap.

If you are good at hands-on, do consider this option instead of paying hundreds to shops instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xU_IvxSN2A

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I DIY the leather wrap on my steering wheel last year. Bought mine from Taobao, so not expensive. But the stitching is very time consuming. It took me 6 hours to complete and I remove the airbag & steering wheel from the car. If I did not, I think it will take even longer.

• Praise 1

I DIY the leather wrap on my steering wheel last year. Bought mine from Taobao, so not expensive. But the stitching is very time consuming. It took me 6 hours to complete and I remove the airbag & steering wheel from the car. If I did not, I think it will take even longer.

Well, if you calculate how much time you took to say drive to the shop, get it wrapped, waited, drive back home. It probably also took up as much time.

But the bottom line, nothing beats doing it yourself and save so much money. Not to mention the satisfaction and your bragging rights that you've stitched them yourself. 

• Praise 1

Well, if you calculate how much time you took to say drive to the shop, get it wrapped, waited, drive back home. It probably also took up as much time.

But the bottom line, nothing beats doing it yourself and save so much money. Not to mention the satisfaction and your bragging rights that you've stitched them yourself. 

very nice!

• Praise 1

I did not remove the steering wheel. I did thought of removing the steering wheel for the project but i figured that lacing the stitches tight will be easier when the steering is anchored down rather than lying freely on table or lap. I did have to replace the lower silver trim with aftermarket one. That gave me opportunity to tuck in the leather wrap tighter. 

I did not remove the steering wheel. I did thought of removing the steering wheel for the project but i figured that lacing the stitches tight will be easier when the steering is anchored down rather than lying freely on table or lap. I did have to replace the lower silver trim with aftermarket one. That gave me opportunity to tuck in the leather wrap tighter. 

I tried without removing at the beginning but somehow find a lot of hindrance. So decided to remove it and did it at home.

post-173144-0-06513000-1501822217_thumb.jpeg

Edited by w7_lee
  • Praise 3

I used up half a tank of petrol keeping my engine running to have the aircon on while installing.  :D

A led headlamp will help if the location you are installing is not brightly lit. 

But overall a satisfying experience that I will not hesitate to do again for my next car.... That will be 5 yrs later though...  :D

I tried without removing at the beginning but somehow find a lot of hindrance. So decided to remove it and did it at home.

• Praise 1

My TB leather wrap. Took me half a day and a pair of sore hands. Well worth the effort.  [:p]

attachicon.gif20170620_085340-picsay.jpg

how is the alcantera material holding up?

i am thinking of change to one with that material but not sure if it traps dirt/lasts as long as normal leather.

Only been about a month. So cannot tell if it will last as long as the normal leather. Dust are more obvious but easily wiped away.

how is the alcantera material holding up?

i am thinking of change to one with that material but not sure if it traps dirt/lasts as long as normal leather.

Only been about a month. So cannot tell if it will last as long as the normal leather. Dust are more obvious but easily wiped away.

thanks for the reply! how about the feel in hand. does this material feel nicer than normal leather?

Depends on your preference.

It feels velvety yet offers increased grip over the leather/perforated leather. It has a hint of "give"  when you grip it hard. 

thanks for the reply! how about the feel in hand. does this material feel nicer than normal leather?

Twincharged

post-54584-0-15664700-1502171324_thumb.jpg

They don't have custom steering cover for mine so got those generic ones that don't slot into the gaps. Less than $10 though. Used on my previous car also. Lasted 7 years for my previous car.

• Praise 1

Your generic cover have a centre marker strip which conventionally supposed to be at the top. I guess you prefer it at the bottom?

attachicon.gif20170808_084302.jpg

They don't have custom steering cover for mine so got those generic ones that don't slot into the gaps. Less than $10 though. Used on my previous car also. Lasted 7 years for my previous car.

Twincharged

Your generic cover have a centre marker strip which conventionally supposed to be at the top. I guess you prefer it at the bottom?

That one is the seam joining the two ends. My pic abit blur. Prefer it to be at the bottom also.