DIY cleaning throttle body

Hachi

Anyone DIY?

Brought a thrttle body cleaner at Mr DIY, loosen the air duct, ask my kid to step on the accelrator when I on the igition swtich without starting the car. Open the e throttle, use a rag, spray the cleaner and clean it...

Less than 10 mins job, spend less than $5.

Remove battery terminal and reset the ECU, and start cleaning the battery terminals using steel brushes. Apply copper grease on the terminal and connect it back.

Required Materials for this How to Clean a Throttle Body Project

Here’s a list.

• Paper towels or rags
  • Throttle body cleaner
  • Gloves
Edited by Hachi
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

I remove the whole body/MAF/positioning sensor and did a thorough cleaning. You be surprise the amount of gunk behind the butterfly and down the manifold.

post-79500-0-52202400-1565713362_thumb.jpg

post-79500-0-87223200-1565712978_thumb.jpg

post-79500-0-76457600-1565713305_thumb.jpg

post-79500-0-70814500-1565713319_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

Just did my throttle cleaning over weekend

Went to this freelance guy, he did a pretty good job.  Remove the throttle body and did the cleaning. $30.

My mileage is 50k km. Throttle already has some junk behind it. 

The after effect of cleaning is good. I can feel smoother acceleration and gear change,  car wont feel sluggish. Just like a brand new car.

For some cars, they might show check engine lights after cleaning. I got it but it went away after a day.  I heard its just the sensor that sense the different lean air or something.  

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

1 hour ago, Jusnel said:

Went to this freelance guy, he did a pretty good job.  Remove the throttle body and did the cleaning. $30.

The after effect of cleaning is good. I can feel smoother acceleration and gear change,  car wont feel sluggish. Just like a brand new car.

For some cars, they might show check engine lights after cleaning. I got it but it went away after a day.  I heard its just the sensor that sense the different lean air or something.  

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

Can share the contact? Thanks. Mine due for a clean-up.

• Praise 1

On 11/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Jusnel said:

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

can share with us the contacts ???

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

u driving a honda civic? if you have CEL, please get your TPS value reset. Else your RPM will be dancing up and down. Even you remove battery 10000 times it will not cure. You may experience higher FC due to the RPM at higher range.

Edited by StreamRSZ
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

Can share with me the freelance contact? Mine idling has been rough and hoping by cleaning it will improve

Neutral Newbie

You know, many GM trucks go into limp mode if Throttle Body is too grimey...PC will read "Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Engine power down"...One of the fixes for this headache is cleaning the heck out of the throttle body.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
On 2/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, henryhartmann said:

not really relevant, when should I clean the throttle body?

Is hard to say. If you never drive the car to its optimum condition, there is sure some carbon around one.

Maybe you can try to do like once every 3 years?

Neutral Newbie
On 11/19/2019 at 9:59 AM, Jusnel said:

Everything is good! 

20191116_134523.jpg

looks so clean bruhhh