Jump to content
steveluv

Indonesia searching for missing submarine with 53 on board

Recommended Posts

Twincharged

https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/s3fs-public/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2021/04/21/yq-indosub-21042021.jpg?itok=pBsrZJ4q×tamp=1619005528

Indonesia searching for missing submarine with 53 on board

KGBdqDX.jpg
The KRI Nanggala-402 was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of Bali when it went missing.PHOTO: PUSAT PENERANGAN TNI/FACEBOOK
Updated2 hours ago

JAKARTA (REUTERS, AFP) - Indonesia’s navy is searching for a submarine with 53 people on board that went missing on Wednesday (April 21) and is seeking help from neighbouring Australia and Singapore in the hunt, the Indonesian military chief told Reuters.

The German-made submarine, KRI Nanggala-402, was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of the island of Bali but failed to relay the results as expected, a navy spokesman said.

“We are still searching in the waters of Bali, 60 miles (96km) from Bali, (for) 53 people,” military chief Hadi Tjahjanto told Reuters in a text message.

The military chief confirmed that assistance in the search for the submarine and missing crew members had been sought from Australia and Singapore. He said that contact with the vessel was lost at 4.30am on Wednesday.

Singapore's submarine support vessel MV Swift Rescue, usually manned by a 27-person crew, departed from Changi Naval Base on Wednesday afternoon.

The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978, according to the Indonesian Cabinet secretariat’s website, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012.

Indonesia in the past operated a fleet of 12 submarines purchased from the Soviet Union to patrol the waters of its sprawling archipelago.

But now it has a fleet of only five, including two German-built Type 209 submarines and three newer South Korean vessels.

Indonesia has been seeking to upgrade its defence capabilities but some of the equipment that are still in service are old. In recent years, there have been deadly accidents involving, in particular, ageing military transport planes.

According to a statement by the Indonesian Ministry of Defence, which is monitoring the search for the missing submarine, an aerial surveillance by a helicopter at 7am (8am Singapore time) had found an oil spill around the initial dive site.

The missing boat “had asked for permission to dive at 3am (Jakarta time). After being granted a dive permit according to the procedure, the boat lost contact and could not be contacted”, said the statement.

Two navy vessels have since been deployed to assist in the search using side-scan sonar, it added.

The ministry said: “Several countries have responded and are ready to provide assistance, including the Singapore Navy, the Australian Navy and the Indian Navy.”

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

1977 sub, its a sinking coffin. Hope its just radio spoilt and all crews found and safe. 

  • Praise 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

I can't imagine a worse military death than being crushed to death by pressure in a sunk submarine. 

Even dying by drowning in a surface ship or being shot down in a plane sound better. 

Only being torn apart by a landmine or machine gun fire and bleeding out slowly and alone while your guts cool in front of your eyes sounds worse. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

Last time the Russia one also like this

damn scary

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged

Hope the crews could return safely.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
8 hours ago, steveluv said:

https://static.straitstimes.com.sg/s3fs-public/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2021/04/21/yq-indosub-21042021.jpg?itok=pBsrZJ4q×tamp=1619005528

Indonesia searching for missing submarine with 53 on board

KGBdqDX.jpg
The KRI Nanggala-402 was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of Bali when it went missing.PHOTO: PUSAT PENERANGAN TNI/FACEBOOK
Updated2 hours ago

JAKARTA (REUTERS, AFP) - Indonesia’s navy is searching for a submarine with 53 people on board that went missing on Wednesday (April 21) and is seeking help from neighbouring Australia and Singapore in the hunt, the Indonesian military chief told Reuters.

The German-made submarine, KRI Nanggala-402, was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of the island of Bali but failed to relay the results as expected, a navy spokesman said.

“We are still searching in the waters of Bali, 60 miles (96km) from Bali, (for) 53 people,” military chief Hadi Tjahjanto told Reuters in a text message.

The military chief confirmed that assistance in the search for the submarine and missing crew members had been sought from Australia and Singapore. He said that contact with the vessel was lost at 4.30am on Wednesday.

Singapore's submarine support vessel MV Swift Rescue, usually manned by a 27-person crew, departed from Changi Naval Base on Wednesday afternoon.

The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978, according to the Indonesian Cabinet secretariat’s website, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012.

Indonesia in the past operated a fleet of 12 submarines purchased from the Soviet Union to patrol the waters of its sprawling archipelago.

But now it has a fleet of only five, including two German-built Type 209 submarines and three newer South Korean vessels.

Indonesia has been seeking to upgrade its defence capabilities but some of the equipment that are still in service are old. In recent years, there have been deadly accidents involving, in particular, ageing military transport planes.

According to a statement by the Indonesian Ministry of Defence, which is monitoring the search for the missing submarine, an aerial surveillance by a helicopter at 7am (8am Singapore time) had found an oil spill around the initial dive site.

The missing boat “had asked for permission to dive at 3am (Jakarta time). After being granted a dive permit according to the procedure, the boat lost contact and could not be contacted”, said the statement.

Two navy vessels have since been deployed to assist in the search using side-scan sonar, it added.

The ministry said: “Several countries have responded and are ready to provide assistance, including the Singapore Navy, the Australian Navy and the Indian Navy.”

Woah. I this week reservist leh. Please don't ask me to do extra things inside. :a-SOS:

  • Haha! 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic
1 minute ago, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. I this week reservist leh. Please don't ask me to do extra things inside. :a-SOS:

MV Swift Rescue should be on the way liao.

  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
18 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. I this week reservist leh. Please don't ask me to do extra things inside. :a-SOS:

What can you do except taking photographs with your Nikon camera just like our MCF MU ...  [rolleyes]

 

:XD:

  • Haha! 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
22 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

What can you do except taking photographs with your Nikon camera just like our MCF MU ...  [rolleyes]

 

:XD:

I am a canon user leh. hahahaha. :grin:

I am a 大炮仙/ hahahah

  • Haha! 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Gear

Might be Godzilla had sunk the submarine !!!

  • Dislike 1
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic (edited)

We are still searching in the waters of Bali, 60 miles (96km) from Bali.

Aiyoh first thing to do is search in Legian Street in Bali lah.

Maybe all the sailor having a good time in the bars there.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
19 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

We are still searching in the waters of Bali, 60 miles (96km) from Bali.

Aiyoh first thing to do is search in Legian Street in Bali lah.

Maybe all the sailor having a good time in the bars there.

:D

Their chances of alive are only 5% ...... 

If they are alive, the sailors could have use something hard to knock on the hull creating sound so that rescue ships with sonar can pick up the sound. :wacko: 

  • Praise 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Got so old meh? I thought it is retrofitted in 2012?

"The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978, according to the Indonesian Cabinet secretariat’s website, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012."

But we also dunno what is being renewed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Their chances of alive are only 5% ...... 

If they are alive, the sailors could have use something hard to knock on the hull creating sound so that rescue ships with sonar can pick up the sound. :wacko: 

I thot the hull sound proof one?

If not someone flush the toilet and the enemy will know they are?

:D

  • Haha! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

German sub underwent a two-year refit in South Korea?

That's like putting Hyundai parts in a BMW.

Sure went fit properly lah.

:D

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged (edited)
1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. I this week reservist leh. Please don't ask me to do extra things inside. :a-SOS:

You mean inside a sub ?  We have submarine crew member in MCF , we r proud of you !😀😀

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

German sub underwent a two-year refit in South Korea?

That's like putting Hyundai parts in a BMW.

Sure went fit properly lah.

:D

Uncle, simi BMW, Russian  built is at best Lada .

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×