Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak signs off after 41 seasons

Raubern

6th Gear

WASHINGTON: The longest-serving TV game show host in history signed off on Friday (Jun 7) after presiding over US primetime hit Wheel of Fortune for 41 seasons.

Pat Sajak has been a fixture in American homes since 1981, hosting more than 8,000 editions of a show that has become part of early evenings for millions of households.

"Well, the time has come to say goodbye," he told viewers in a clip from the pre-recorded final show.

"It's been an incredible privilege to be invited into millions of homes night after night, year after year, decade after decade."

He described the half-hour show as "a safe place for family fun. No social issues, no politics, nothing embarrassing I hope - just a game."

"Thank you for allowing me into your lives."

Sajak, 77, was renowned for his low-key, unflappable style, asking contestants to choose a consonant or buy a vowel in the word-guessing game.

With his suit and even tan, he chatted with guests and bantered with co-host Vanna White, who joined the show in 1982 just a year after Sajak.

In 2019, Guinness World Records awarded Sajak the title of the longest career as a game show host for the same show.

White paid an emotional tribute to her partner on Thursday’s episode, calling him “like a brother” and a “true lifelong friend,” adding that their personal friendship has meant even more than their professional collaboration.

Sajak announced in June 2023 that he would retire from his hosting duties at the end of the show’s 41st season, with America Idol host Ryan Seacrest set to succeed him.

White will stay on as Seacrest’s co-host through the 2025-2026 season, based on a contract extension she signed in September.

In a recent interview for “Good Morning America” with Sajak’s daughter Maggie, who serves as the show’s social correspondent, the host said he felt “surprisingly OK” given that he announced his retirement almost a year before his final show.

“I’ve had time to sort of get used to it and it’s been a little bit wistful and all that, but I’m enjoying it and taking it all in and reflecting on a great run,” he said.

Looking back on his time with the popular game show, Sajak said he is grateful for how audiences across the country connected with the show and made it a part of their daily routines.

“Somewhere along the line, we became more than a popular show. We became a part of popular culture, and more importantly, we became a part of people’s lives,” he said. “That’s been awfully gratifying".

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/pat-sajak-wheel-fortune-final-show-4393876

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6
  • Sad 1

talk about loyalty and job for life [sweatdrop] 

some people won't last for more than 4 years, some not even 4 months, ok maybe 4 days or 4 hours (1st day of work went for lunch and didn't come back) [laugh]

• Haha! 7

Hypersonic

Hope he's found many wheels of fortune along the long dedicated career...🙏🤑

Hypersonic
On 6/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, Jman888 said:

talk about loyalty and job for life [sweatdrop] 

some people won't last for more than 4 years, some not even 4 months, ok maybe 4 days or 4 hours (1st day of work went for lunch and didn't come back) [laugh]

Only new era generation si gina would do such thing, like 1st day of work went for lunch and didn't come back. And MIA without even informing.

Sajak is 77 year old liao, still looking good and healthy. He should have continue to host until 80 lo. Sajak and White are an icon for Wheel of fortune siah. Will missed seeing him hosting the show liao. And mediacorpse also a loyal fan of Wheel of fortune, has been showing this game show on tv for decades until the current new season 40.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

Erm...sorry, hetero here.....I am more interested in what happens to Vanna White...😁

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 11:11 AM, Vratenza said:

Erm...sorry, hetero here.....I am more interested in what happens to Vanna White...😁

According to the article, White will stay on as Seacrest’s co-host through the 2025-2026 season, based on a contract extension she signed in September. 😂

Maybe she would not retire so soon since she is only 67 year old.

Edited by 13177

Supercharged
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 11:11 AM, Vratenza said:

I am more interested in how they can keep getting sponsors splashing out those prizes and cash for 41 years now....and they are still going strong.

The work that the team done behind must have been incredible. To be able to keep ratings and viewability high in a very crowded variety and game show space after 4 decades is not easy. To get the attention of the Gen-Zs to watch this  classic gameshow so as to continue its strong ratings  is even harder. 

I hope one day they reveal more about the business story of how they keep this running for so many decades!

Edited by Stary
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Shocked. I'm still watching wof on channel 5 7pm now mainly because of him. Not sure about seacrest though. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, Stary said:

I am more interested in how they can keep getting sponsors splashing out those prizes and cash for 41 years now....and they are still going strong.

The work that the team done behind must have been incredible. To be able to keep ratings and viewability high in a very crowded variety and game show space after 4 decades is not easy. To get the attention of the Gen-Zs to watch this  classic gameshow so as to continue its strong ratings  is even harder. 

I hope one day they reveal more about the business story of how they keep this running for so many decades!

Not easy to keep the show running for over 40 years and yet still have people watching.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Here in MCF ….. peepur not yet 55 oso ROD mood …… buy car oso pay full $$ 1 …. Just my observation 

ok back to wiping tables 🤪🤪

Turbocharged
On 6/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, Stary said:

The production house is Sony, they got a lot of money. But the show has a lot of exposure too so sponsors are willing to come on board. Anyway in US all those prizes are relatively small drop in the ocean for them (even the cars).

The show is popular cos easy to follow and understand. That's all you need.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 2:06 PM, Benarsenal said:

The production house is Sony, they got a lot of money. But the show has a lot of exposure too so sponsors are willing to come on board. Anyway in US all those prizes are relatively small drop in the ocean for them (even the cars).

The show is popular cos easy to follow and understand. That's all you need.

I wonder if our Sheng Siong show can run for 4 decades........😃😀

Edited by Stary
  • Haha! 4

Turbocharged
On 6/8/2024 at 2:10 PM, Stary said:

Ok la that show the concept has been running since the 90s so almost there also. Last time sponsor was Econ Minimart then become Sheng Siong, but show format still same [laugh] 

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 2:10 PM, Stary said:

Last last time got 赢万金游万里欢乐周未夜 and 普威之夜 also run quite long but eventually also no more. The show was hosted by chen sucheng and wang yuling.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 2

Supercharged
On 6/8/2024 at 8:38 PM, 13177 said:

Last last time got 赢万金游万里欢乐周未夜 and 普威之夜 also run quite long but eventually also no more. The show was hosted by chen sucheng and wang yuling.

I have to google the above to see what show is that....😁

I think I can only remember these  shows a bit only....

😆

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 6/8/2024 at 11:37 AM, Stratovarius said:

Shocked. I'm still watching wof on channel 5 7pm now mainly because of him. Not sure about seacrest though. 

I also watch wof now at 7pm on channel 5 if i am at home. Will still continue to watch since still have vanna white. 

Hypersonic
On 6/9/2024 at 1:30 AM, Stary said:

I have to google the above to see what show is that....😁

I think I can only remember these  shows a bit only....

😆

These two show was popular back in those era. I still remember my mum got use those coupons to go to the supermarket to buy stuff and participate in the lucky draw but never tio la. 😅 And i even followed my parents to the tv station (that era should be under TCS) to watch the program live. Cause can write in to the tv station to get tickets to the show. 😂

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 6/8/2024 at 8:38 PM, 13177 said:

Chen Shu Cheng host for the longest time. Last time got quite big stars perform also.

Edited by Benarsenal
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1