Star Wars: The Force Awakens [spoiler alert]

Zxcvb

Booked tickets for whole family this Saturday including maid !

Sir can i work as maid for you, pop corn included?? [:p] , you very very good sir

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

not a Star Wars fan myself but I think JJ is a good story teller.

story a bit similar to Episodes 4 and 5 in parts ... same would find it familiar, some would say lack originality ...

think JJ trying to re-establish the ground with familiar stuff and characters while slowly trying to set up the story for Episodes 8 and 9.

overall, for entertainment and humour, alright lah ...

• Praise 5

Finally!

I didn't want to discuss this on FB or with my other friends who were fans and haven't watched it yet.

I just caught it earlier this morning... Gonna use your spoiler tag and reply to your post / add my own..

i watched this morning as well...

gonna use spoiler tag to reply too..

Damn disappointed in this new installment of the movie. Everything that makes Star Wars special is just missing. The new characters doesn't even shine except BB-8, the rest are just plain pedestrian. Agreed! Ray and Finn, the character development is... Meh... And suddenly Ray can use the Force, without any training or explanation.. Just goes against all that the previous 6 films (and not to mention, the books, though now they are non-canon).

- agree , no training can suddenly become so in tune with the Force..

Captain Phasma, the most anticipated bad ass don't even have enough screen time. And when it does, it's embarrassing.

KNS! She was so cool during the trailer... Also, a huge disappointment in how fast she was turned...

- i think she is a just to drum up the hype.. not to mention she became part of the trash ..

Kylo Ren, looks bad ass too at first. But his power is weak. With that cool light saber, but skills are so amateur. Looks like cry baby throwing tantrum. Not the evil-cool we expect.

Super badass the first 10 mins, afterwards, became like his grandfather (in ep2), but worse... Way worse.... At least his grandfather was powerful..

- Kylo is still an apprentice , maybe that's why he is not powerful..

Storm trooper has better screen time finally. Most impressive is able to dual the lightsaber guy. Definitely no walkover. Lol.

I had hoped the battle would be longer and more intense... But ah well, better than nothing..

Snowtrooper, flametrooper, tie pilot mediocre showing.

X-wing fighters not bad. Especially the lead pilot. If you follow his plane on screen on one that particular take, can watch how he down numerous tie fighters and troopers.

Po? Didn't really get his name, but yeah, I know which scene you were talking about... Downing 5-6 TIEs in quick succession...

- yep i think is Poe Dameron as the Xwing is black color if i rem correctly..

Han Solo stole the show. Without him, this movie will seem so bland. Good to see several old characters "it's a trap" in the planning room. Reminiscent of the older episodes. luke skywalk and Leia appearance also good to see.

I'm sad to see that he... became one with the Force.. Leia, imho, didn't give a good showing..

Personally, I'm also confused how Finn (FN2187) can use the lightsaber and fight with Kylo, and not be utterly decimated in two seconds, and how the Rebel Alliance became the Resistance. Maybe I went in with too high hopes, but I did enjoy the flight of the Millennium Falcon...

- kinda expected when Han took hold of the Kylo ren lightsaber and try to turn him back..

I think the rebel alliance became the New republic and the Resistance might be a small group that is opposing the First order..

All in all. Still a bland showing. Tot of catching it the 2nd time before it's showing, now decide otherwise.

I will be watching a 2nd time tomorrow night with my kids and will try to catch more details...

IMO, what JJ is trying to do is to intro a new generation of Starwars characters and retire the old ones..

cheers

• Praise 3

If Disney had plan for a trilogy episodes 7,8 & 9 you can't expect everything to be cramp into 7. Just like episode 4, when it first started it isn't fantastic. I think it will shift into overdrive in episodes 8 & 9. Be patient. You have only watch 1/3. IMO it's still early to comment. It's good that JJ Abrams didn't put mushy love story or annoying characters like JJBinks into the plot. Hopefully there's none of that crap in 8 & 9.

• Praise 6

I totally understand and accept that none of the prequels would and probably the new trilogy will never measure up to IV, V and VI. After all, Star Wars is unique to us in that it will always be part of nostalgia. And nostalgia is a hard act to follow.

Just watched it and IMHO, if there one thing JJA got it right, that would be him bringing back Lawrence Kasdan to co-write VII.

Edited by Toothiewabbit
  • Praise 10

The star wars franchise is all about making bucket loads of money.

The prequels and sequels to 4, 5 & 6 are redundant but since star wars fans(me included) will watch anything star wars. George Lucas made 1, 2 & 3 regardless becoz he needs more $$$. When Disney offer to buy it off his hands, lagi better coz no need to do hard work can get billion$. It's just a cash cow to lure suckers like us to watch. That's how it is. Can you tahan and not watch?

• Praise 3

I havent watched yet but i am curious so read the spoiler liao, kekeke

Aiyoh, we use spoiler so those who haven't watch can watch and have the same feel as the "Vader is Luke's papa" reveal feel mah... If you want, I can PM you the storyline / plot... Haha.. Or go IMDB see if someone upload liao..

i watched this morning as well...

gonna use spoiler tag to reply too..

Damn disappointed in this new installment of the movie. Everything that makes Star Wars special is just missing. The new characters doesn't even shine except BB-8, the rest are just plain pedestrian. Agreed! Ray and Finn, the character development is... Meh... And suddenly Ray can use the Force, without any training or explanation.. Just goes against all that the previous 6 films (and not to mention, the books, though now they are non-canon).

- agree , no training can suddenly become so in tune with the Force..

Captain Phasma, the most anticipated bad ass don't even have enough screen time. And when it does, it's embarrassing.

KNS! She was so cool during the trailer... Also, a huge disappointment in how fast she was turned...

- i think she is a just to drum up the hype.. not to mention she became part of the trash ..

Wonder if the trash compactor had a mysterious creature inside also anot... Haha...

Kylo Ren, looks bad ass too at first. But his power is weak. With that cool light saber, but skills are so amateur. Looks like cry baby throwing tantrum. Not the evil-cool we expect.

Super badass the first 10 mins, afterwards, became like his grandfather (in ep2), but worse... Way worse.... At least his grandfather was powerful..

- Kylo is still an apprentice , maybe that's why he is not powerful..

Continuity / plot hole for this. When he stopped the blaster shot from Poe, it was on par with Yoda's ability to absorb Force Lightning and return the energies (IMHO).. But when he fought Finn and Ray, he can suddenly be whacked many times? Finn I may still accept, because he is raised as a soldier / stormie, but Ray? I haven't seen her have much fighting skills other than when she hit the two guys stealing BB8 and whacked Finn after... But to be on par with a Sith?

Storm trooper has better screen time finally. Most impressive is able to dual the lightsaber guy. Definitely no walkover. Lol.

I had hoped the battle would be longer and more intense... But ah well, better than nothing..

Snowtrooper, flametrooper, tie pilot mediocre showing.

X-wing fighters not bad. Especially the lead pilot. If you follow his plane on screen on one that particular take, can watch how he down numerous tie fighters and troopers.

Po? Didn't really get his name, but yeah, I know which scene you were talking about... Downing 5-6 TIEs in quick succession...

- yep i think is Poe Dameron as the Xwing is black color if i rem correctly..

Yeah, it's the black one.. But that scene, I couldn't tell if it's black, coz it was damn fast... I just managed to see Poe shoot down the TIEs..

Han Solo stole the show. Without him, this movie will seem so bland. Good to see several old characters "it's a trap" in the planning room. Reminiscent of the older episodes. luke skywalk and Leia appearance also good to see.

I'm sad to see that he... became one with the Force.. Leia, imho, didn't give a good showing..

Personally, I'm also confused how Finn (FN2187) can use the lightsaber and fight with Kylo, and not be utterly decimated in two seconds, and how the Rebel Alliance became the Resistance. Maybe I went in with too high hopes, but I did enjoy the flight of the Millennium Falcon...

- kinda expected when Han took hold of the Kylo ren lightsaber and try to turn him back..

I think the rebel alliance became the New republic and the Resistance might be a small group that is opposing the First order..

Abit off leh.. Why would the New Republic need a "Resistance" to fight the First Order and destroy the weapon? Then again, I'm just against the terminology used. Because, "Resistance" is usually used by a small group of fighters who disagree with the established power, not if they are part of the militia / military strength of the established power...

All in all. Still a bland showing. Tot of catching it the 2nd time before it's showing, now decide otherwise.

I will be watching a 2nd time tomorrow night with my kids and will try to catch more details...

IMO, what JJ is trying to do is to intro a new generation of Starwars characters and retire the old ones..

cheers

Meh, we can continue to have our discussion in spoiler tag ba... Hahaha... Then again, the title of this thread got "spoiler" tag, so, those who come in and expect to not have the movie spoiled for them, all the best!

• Praise 7

Hmmm... Really so bad?

As I said previously, the hype and mystery surrounding the new trilogy and plot raised expectations of Star Wars fans too much

• Praise 1

Watch together as in with the son or with the wife ?

All 3 of us and this time plus my Anakin Skywalker's light saber.

Hoo hoo!

If Disney had plan for a trilogy episodes 7,8 & 9 you can't expect everything to be cramp into 7. Just like episode 4, when it first started it isn't fantastic. I think it will shift into overdrive in episodes 8 & 9. Be patient. You have only watch 1/3. IMO it's still early to comment. It's good that JJ Abrams didn't put mushy love story or annoying characters like JJBinks into the plot. Hopefully there's none of that crap in 8 & 9.

Aiyoh, too many then become like Police Academy? Yucks!

with all the overzealous hype about this starwars movie, i not surprise someone will be disappointed....

marketing is good but overdoing that is simply telling one that the movie may not give that WOW factor....

when lords of the rings first appear not much marketing was done but damm the movie sure pulled alot of ppl to it and continue for the next 2 years....same for Avartar... no one took a 2nd look but when it finally shownn, everyone rushed to it through word of mouth....

Looking at spoilers here... it seems like my gut feel is correct but then I will still watch it for the cinematic experience and hey its XMAS so just sit back and enjoy the Hollywood drama...

manage your expectations.....

• Praise 3

with all the overzealous hype about this starwars movie, i not surprise someone will be disappointed....

marketing is good but overdoing that is simply telling one that the movie may not give that WOW factor....

when lords of the rings first appear not much marketing was done but damm the movie sure pulled alot of ppl to it and continue for the next 2 years....same for Avartar... no one took a 2nd look but when it finally shownn, everyone rushed to it through word of mouth....

Looking at spoilers here... it seems like my gut feel is correct but then I will still watch it for the cinematic experience and hey its XMAS so just sit back and enjoy the Hollywood drama...

manage your expectations.....

No spoilers here, so no tag needed, but gonna say a bit of how I felt about the movie, so, it might give an indirect review...

Yes, there's a lot of hype about the movie, and partially because there are many Star Wars fans around.. And even amongst my friends who aren't into SW, some of them got into the hype.

I'd compare it to Episode 1, when people saw the young Anakin, and got slightly disappointed with the movie. This would be somewhat like that. And while there isn't a Jar Jar Binks equivalent, the rest of the new cast / characters didn't have much in the way of character development. Plus, I'm a fan of SW (not that hardcore to have a lot of the merchandise, but I do have some, and I read the books, most of them anyway), so I do have a certain level of expectations from the movie.

The graphics are great (seeing that the budget is about 2/3 of our YOG budget), not surprisingly, but the story itself could use some editing. There are some moments in which the director is trying to portray the usage of the Force (via acting / focusing on the character's face as well as sound effects), but the actors aren't able to pull it off in a convincing manner. So, that was a let down, and those moments were dragged out too long, enough for some people to lose interest.

The battle (lightsaber) scenes weren't up to the level of Ep3, and I'd say I had expected more. In fact, it seemed more like Ep 6 when Luke was fighting Vader, and keep in mind that was more than 3 decades ago?

Overall, the trailer thrilled me more (the flight of the Falcon) than the actual scene, maybe because of how the actual scene started out. And that scene, and the following scene (in space) was a let down because of plot holes / how realistic it wasn't.

I think I've grown more questioning / cynical about movies, and can't suspend logic as well as I could as a kid. So, that, and the hype that surrounded the movie launch which raised my expectations, led me to not enjoy the movie as much as I should.

Then again, Ep 1 was hyped up too, but didn't turn out to be so good, and I still enjoyed Ep 2/3 (3 more than 2, obviously, because of the lightsaber duels)... Here's to hoping that 8/9 will turn out better.

• Dislike 1

OK, here is my take....

As far as the action goes, I liked it but I find the plot is weak

Here are my disappointments...
1) Han Solo just conveniently appear.
2) KNS spoiled brat looking villian. Some more call himself an apprentice when a minion stormtrooper weilding a ligh saber was able to whip his ass.
3) What's the chance of a stormtrooper gone rogue????
4) So easy for Rey to learn how to harness the force.
5) The part where Han Solo gets killed is so predictable.

6) Seem tried a bit too hard to make it comical.

7) Too many things crammed in a 2 hours movie. Should be lengthened to 3 hours.

Edited by Tjkbeluga
  • Praise 1