Will 50% of Cars Sold in S'pore be China Cars in the Future?

Vit4wd

Will 50% of Cars Sold in S'pore be China Cars in the Future?  

142 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Neutral Newbie

Anything could happen la. Now adays U have so much merger here and there. Parts from here and there. U think u can have a car from japan which use all parts from japan ma?

↡ Advertisement

Well I do agree that Chinese car will achieve a large percentage of the market share in 10 to 15 years time. Their technology will on par with other westen countries.

Chinese technology is not really that outdated. If they can built fighter jets and space shuttle, then why can't built cars? It just a matter of time China will become the superpower again.

I don't think Singaporean should look down on chinese products, but rather support them. Just like Singaporean should support their own brand first!!!

Singapore will need a Asian superpower to backup in the near future,(as Singapore is just too small) that is China and India and not US.

In the 25th Feb issue of Sunday Times, Mr. Nicholas Ng, General Manager of Group Exklusiv which distributes Geely here, says "Mark my words, 50% of cars sold in Singapore in the future will be Chinese"

Do you believe this will become reality?

The first Korean car, the Hyundai Pony was sold in Singapore in 1982.

25 yrs down the rd, while the Koreans are catching up, they are still nowhere near that 50% mark in sales volume.

IMHO, quite a vahue statement.

Does he mean Made-In-China or China-Branded?

Future...How long will that be? Long enough for us to be around and verify that?

Like most of the forummers here posted, its too vague.

Well it depends whether the chinese car makers are willing to improve their mentality and improve their quality.

If they have done so, we can expect to see more and more china cars on the roads.

Neutral Newbie

no doubt about this... but branding plays a part...

most consumers can accept a "Made-In-China" Panasonic LCD but not many can accept a "Made-In-China" TCL LCD....thats the consumer behaviour.

Same as car... if Toyota or Honda can setup a production in China... hey why not... its a Honda afterall...

but i cannot say the same for a Chery or Hafei car...

Edited by Sleepgod

I think the main issue is if its cheaper to import from China, AD more or less will likely to import from there and sell at the same price... just my opinion

Neutral Newbie

i think depending bah... not at least in the recent years to come... considering the QC of the vehicle is quite badly...

if now toyota were to move to china... i think the volume of sales will drop drastically for awhile at least and slowly climb up...

Neutral Newbie
100% cloth are made in china now. you wear it up and down from inside to outside. it covers your body, regardless what brand or fashion.

almost 90% electronics and home appliance are made in china now. you use it for preparing food, washing, cleaning, personal caring, entertainment and all kinda home usage for all family members.

lots of fresh food/veg (i dare to say 60%) and fastfood are made/imported from china now. you eat/drink it every day for every meal.

lots of construction materials/parts are from china. i dare to say 50%. your office/house are made of them and you work/live inside all the time.

lots of parts in your car are already made in china from china suppliers. you think you are driving a continental/jap car? inside lots of raw materials and components are from china.

it only takes 15 years to achieve all above.

firstly Steel isn't PRC strength

secondly, quality also isn't their strength

need I say more

With such poor NCAP rating on these cars, I wonder why LTA allowed them to be sold so easily. Its like selling vegetables with high amount of pesticide and pork tainted with virus.

Touch wood, if one day one of these PRC cars kena accident and the driver killed on the spot because of poor protection, then maybe LTA will do something reactively which will be too late.

no doubt about this... but branding plays a part...

most consumers can accept a "Made-In-China" Panasonic LCD but not many can accept a "Made-In-China" TCL LCD....thats the consumer behaviour.

Same as car... if Toyota or Honda can setup a production in China... hey why not... its a Honda afterall...

but i cannot say the same for a Chery or Hafei car...

there are conti and japs factory in china...but r meant for china domestic market...none reach here.....

Well I do agree that Chinese car will achieve a large percentage of the market share in 10 to 15 years time. Their technology will on par with other westen countries.

Chinese technology is not really that outdated. If they can built fighter jets and space shuttle, then why can't built cars? It just a matter of time China will become the superpower again.

I don't think Singaporean should look down on chinese products, but rather support them. Just like Singaporean should support their own brand first!!!

Singapore will need a Asian superpower to backup in the near future,(as Singapore is just too small) that is China and India and not US.

Knowledge is pretty much free these days. It's not about the capability.

There's just something I can't put a finger on - is it their differing ideologies, or are they just not trustworthy? Trust is not given. It is earned. Like respect I guess.

What's with supporting our 'own' brand? I'm pretty sure that, if possible, most of us would like to put down Singaporean as their ethnicity rather than Chinese. I want nothing to do with them.

Edited by Karebu

In the 25th Feb issue of Sunday Times, Mr. Nicholas Ng, General Manager of Group Exklusiv which distributes Geely here, says "Mark my words, 50% of cars sold in Singapore in the future will be Chinese

Pls ask him to state down a time frame. Knn anyone can say this what.

its like the stock markte analyst. STI at 2500, say it can reach 3500. Sure it can, how long? How will it go there? Go down to 2000, up to 3000, back down to 2700, then etc etc.

If he dont state the timeframe, when u ask him in 5 years time he say " its not the time yet" [thumbsdown] .

Assuming it takes 5 years to reach there but they can't assume that all Jap or Kor car makers are sleeping for the next 5 years. IMHO, totally impossible even for 5 years. So when did the 1st QQ makes its appearance? got 1-2 years? then they have less than 5 years to go.

Regards,

Supercharged
nope..

singaporeans are too brand concious..even now, some will shy away from driving korean cars as those are deemed to be 'budget'..

eh, last time i did not consider a korean car cos the price almost the same as jdm but the quality & finishing still not up to mark.

now, i would cos they hv proven themselves.

back to topic, china cars or made in china car are totally differently.

even the Chinese will go for conti brand over China brand being the reliabilty. so, do we need to say more.

In the first place LTA should not allow any chinese car to sell in Singapore, none of them is safe, non of them is original.

U may even get killed one day because of inhaling the toxic plastic and paint!

I think LTA should ban all motor bike too, too dangerous. So many people get killed.

↡ Advertisement