Jump to content

Copen...worth it?


Shorty
 Share

Recommended Posts

Neutral Newbie

However too small for other activities in car-parks, parks or reservoirs... [laugh]

 

can still lower the top, just that it will be in plain view [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also for those that have driven convertibles before, they will surely tell you that it is not practical in SG weather.

Unless you like having sweaty butts. :wacko:

 

I beg to differ. [;)]

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiat 500 more cute, & iconic. Anyway, while I personally don't think the copen is that cute (although I do confess to like small car), its still one of the cheapest convertible in Sunny Singapore, so why not.

 

While I can't see myself drives a convertible in Singapore, when even at night, temperature is 26-28 deg C, (which in some countries, considered heatwave , & hot enough to go beach for sun tan). But it (topless car) is something that I think of owning in future when I moved to cooler temperate climate.

 

Anyway, I heard, nowadays, climate control can still work well with the top down, so it eliminate the problem of our "sunny" climate. SO yeah, why not.

Definitely agree on the Fiat 500 being a much better choice.

 

Been driving a 4-seater convertible for quite a few years now. From my own experience, it has been a joy. Yup, aircon works even with the top down. Just wind up the windows and enjoy. During dawn where the temp is around 23-24degs, it is sometimes too cold to put down the top especially on the expressway where you're traveling at speed.

 

The thing is, it's just a practical as a coupe, except when you feel like it, you can go topless. Having a soft top also means boot space is not sacrificed much, even with the top down. I can still fit 2 golf bags in the boot with the top down, not to mention 4 people in the car at the same time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

I beg to differ. [;)]

 

so u turn on the aircon aiming at your legs area while driving with the top down?

because it gets kinda warm below when you have the top down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yup i got quoted 2k for insurance, 35 and above, 8 yrs driving experience.

I ended up looking at the mini cooper S for the same insurance amount.

 

you can try to use aviva website for an approx quotation.

it has helped given me a rough gauge on my cars insurance.

 

I have quickly done a check for you on the webby and it shows up as 2.3k for your insurance.

Remember that since its a 2nd car, there is 0% NCD.

Unless your husband wants to transfer his lancer's NCD to this copen.

 

Just checked the insurance, its 2.3k.. thats pretty high!

Can my hubby get this car and with NCD 50%, applied on both cars?

 

Lancer and Copen?

Both car can share the NCD of 50%?

He is 35

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Just checked the insurance, its 2.3k.. thats pretty high!

Can my hubby get this car and with NCD 50%, applied on both cars?

 

Lancer and Copen?

Both car can share the NCD of 50%?

He is 35

 

nope, for a 2nd car, the NCD is 0%

he can however transfer his lancer NCD to the copen. But that will mean his lancer will have 0% NCD.

so depending on which is more expensive to insure, the NCD should go with the car that is more expensive.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

Just checked the FIAT 500

I dun like the design

 

If you want a 2 seater convertible, you can consider the mx5 or mrs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

I am looking at small cute, ez to mantain cars.

Pls comment and advice some.

 

Budget 50+ k and below

 

I was looking for a 2nd car as well, so the copen was also one that I had viewed and tested.

But I was very disappointed with its performance, as well as the high insurance cost.

 

Thus I am going to get the mini cooper S instead.

You must avoid seeing and testing the mini cooper S, its just toooooooo tempting ...... [bigcry]

 

But some of the used cars which I was considering then were as follow:

Opel Tigra, theres 2 for sale now at sgcarmart.

Peugeot 107 - nice and small

 

The new car that I was considering is the peugeot RCZ. :wub:

Edited by Readonly
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Yes, the Peugeot 107 was one I considered as well.

 

I prefer this to FIAT 500 and this Peugeot 107 also has low road tax

 

Yup the peugeot 107 is a nice car to have to just travel around.

Nothing fanciful but at least it has a 4 Star Euro NCAP Safety Rating.

 

IMO its built quality is also better than the common swift or getz and it has nicer styling.

Edited by Readonly
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

You seem to have no idea how to buy a car, or even what car to buy. Have you looked into how you will maintain the car? Take care of tire pressue, type of fuel, wash the car, vacum the car etc...

 

You do not seem ready to own a car... Just a burning desire to want one...

 

Why not go for long term rental instead for a few months, see if owning a car is your thing first....

Edited by Unltd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

How come? By guesstimates, if pushing out 180NM from the 660cc engine on a 840kg car, should be able to do a 0-100 in say... 7+s? Some more 1.3L TC, can probably push out 200 HP, 250NM?

 

 

When the copen was stock, tried to do about 20 0-100 measurements using apexi rsm with G-sensor. Timings are all around high 9s to 10s

Running on a manual somemore. Maybe my driving not that good heh heh.

 

My friends stock 6at rx8 tore me like tissue paper whereas my auto dc5 with a k20a transplant and stage 2 long duration cams easily overpowered him.

The dc5 was running at around 200whp with a 0-100 of around 8 secs...

Link to post
Share on other sites

so u turn on the aircon aiming at your legs area while driving with the top down?

because it gets kinda warm below when you have the top down.

 

 

Huh? [confused]

 

There's wind in the leg area as well. I have never driven topless with the aircon blowing. The wind is cool enough.

 

Sometimes I find that it's so cold driving topless at night that I have to wind up the windows to keep the wind out.

 

 

Anyway, I will usually drive topless between 8pm and 8am. Those are the times when I feel that it's cool enough.

 

Or sometimes when I just finished my badminton session and is still perspiring, then I'll go topless too.

 

Other than that, I seldon go topless when there's daylight.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Actually i don't understand the argument about practicality with convertibles.

 

What's the argument?

 

I mean, you do have a choice to bring down the roof or not, right?

It's not as if driving a convertible means "die die" must drive topless.

You can still drive it around like a coupe.

 

So where's the impractical part? [confused]

Edited by Sg2303
↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...