Jump to content

Which car to get?


Vios73
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have narrow down to the below 3 rides as my next new ride. Would like to gather some comments from bros here on my choice before i sign on the dotted line. Thanks in advance.

 

1. Volvo S60 - $125,000 (before $10k discount)

2. BMW 320i (basic model) - $131,800 (before $8k-$11k discount)

3. VW Jetta 1.4A TSI - $89,300 (before $4k-$5k discount)

 

I am looking at both safety and performance for the sedan range. Based on look, BMW 320i win hands down. Based on dollar value, i think Jetta is about $20k++ cheaper. Volvo S60 is an old model but evergreen design.

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jetta has easily the best performance and consumption of the three, but the interior and exterior design is very boring. S60 has very high fuel consumption and high maintenance costs. 320i is a safe choice although the base model is very bare, not even digital air-con. Overall I'd go for the Jetta given that it's so much cheaper than the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How come your choice of cars differs so much? Get 1 you can afford and likes best...if you are not too worried about resale, get the S60...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you know that the new W204 C-class (C180 kompressor) is going for $128k now? If you can consider Jetta and BMW, I think you should seriously consider the C180 too since it falls within your price range.

 

You get a 2 litre engine power from a 1.8 litre car with the help of a supercharger, yet you pay a 1.8 litre road tax. It's a new model, it has build-in bluetooth for hp and trust me, in Singapore, that standing star on the bonnet commands some respect in some places (like it or not, whatever you can call, it is a sad fact that this is the case in Singapore).

 

Anyway, if it has to be the 3 choices, I will pick the S60.

Edited by Cklasse
Link to post
Share on other sites

The S60 is an outgoing model so i wont recommend although it's a pretty neat car.

 

The BMW 320i is as you said it - Basic (you're better off buying a second hand 5er)

 

The Jetta is a fairly good all rounder (my ex colleague bot one recently) but if you are already ready for $125k, you can get better anytime.

 

maybe you want to consider a Saab 93? heard it's going cheap now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

I agree on the C180. Since you're considering 320, no harm taking a look at the merc. It's a much updated model compared to the 3 and lookswise, I feel doesn't lose out. Drives pretty decent too. [:)]

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have narrow down to the below 3 rides as my next new ride. Would like to gather some comments from bros here on my choice before i sign on the dotted line. Thanks in advance.

 

1. Volvo S60 - $125,000 (before $10k discount)

2. BMW 320i (basic model) - $131,800 (before $8k-$11k discount)

3. VW Jetta 1.4A TSI - $89,300 (before $4k-$5k discount)

 

I am looking at both safety and performance for the sedan range. Based on look, BMW 320i win hands down. Based on dollar value, i think Jetta is about $20k++ cheaper. Volvo S60 is an old model but evergreen design.

 

i'll go for neither of the 3...

 

u might wanna consider Audi A4, Lexus 250 or a second hand beemer.. its more worth it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jetta has easily the best performance and consumption of the three, but the interior and exterior design is very boring. S60 has very high fuel consumption and high maintenance costs. 320i is a safe choice although the base model is very bare, not even digital air-con. Overall I'd go for the Jetta given that it's so much cheaper than the others.

 

I didn't know the S60 fuel consumption is very high....i was quoted 10.5km/lts from the SE. High maintenance cost....i suppose the cost is high but first 3 yrs servicing is free for all Volvo models. Guess this will off-set the cost a little bit. I agreed the 320i is very very basic. I guess the Jetta could be my choice.....thanks for the comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you know that the new W204 C-class (C180 kompressor) is going for $128k now? If you can consider Jetta and BMW, I think you should seriously consider the C180 too since it falls within your price range.

 

You get a 2 litre engine power from a 1.8 litre car with the help of a supercharger, yet you pay a 1.8 litre road tax. It's a new model, it has build-in bluetooth for hp and trust me, in Singapore, that standing star on the bonnet commands some respect in some places (like it or not, whatever you can call, it is a sad fact that this is the case in Singapore).

 

Anyway, if it has to be the 3 choices, I will pick the S60.

 

C180 is under my radar scope now.....but i am a little wori about the ah peh image of a merz.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Neutral Newbie

actually the C180 looks young and seemingly full of energy. no more ah pek look.

 

the rear looks class, the front looks fierce yet humble, and the interior is superb for the the price tag.

 

mercedes-c-class-1.jpg

 

mercedes-c-class-2008.jpg

 

20070125-2008-mercedes-benz-c-class-interior.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wah didn't know now 320 after rebate can be as cheap as the old version camry... I think i too long nv update myself on car price... Kind of shocking to know a BMW so cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The C180 outlook looks okay to me but the steering looks abit weird....4 spokes a little out of place to me. Generally a nice car. Will test drive soon. Wonder PI will be cheaper than $128k....??

Link to post
Share on other sites

1st choice will VW Jetta 1.4A TSI. (Value for moneythumbsup.gif, 1.4 Road Tax cheaper)

 

2nd, Volvo S60 (Damn Soild Bodythumbsup.gif, Quite Spaciousthumbsup.gif, Very comfortable seatsthumbsup.gif, FC thumbsdown.gif

 

Lastly BMW 320i (for basic model, i don't feel value for money. Paying so much just for the Badge shakehead.gif )

Edited by Dennisk
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant speak for the other 2, but the S60 I had for 2+ years consistently achieving around 10km-10.5km/l. For a car its weight/size/power, I think its very decent.

↡ Advertisement
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...