Going to Polyclinic

Picanto

On 3/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, Kb27 said:

Recently, polyclinic give me a kit to check for colon cancer. It's free. But you need to stab your stool with a plastic thingy, do it twice, collect them and send for analysis.

It's a bit yucky for me, so I'm still hanging on. 😁

Stool test most health screening would have, even for those health screening at private clinic. You need to collect your stool and put it inside the bottle de, no one would do it for you. So everytime when i go for my health screening, need to go thru this yucky process, no choice. I have one colleague never submit his stool for this test cause he find it gross to take the stool sample. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, 13177 said:

True, when you are still working and have company doctor to see doctor and no need to pay for medical fees, sure would not go to polyclinic, even the polyclinic might be downstairs your house. So when i retired i would also go polyclinic see doctor liao, so better stay near to a polyclinic.

I have company coverage but still go polyclinic :grin:and just realized NUHS can book appointment the night before at 10pm, those in the east suck thumb cos don't have the convivence of booking an appointment the night before. It'll take at least half a day if walk in but it's better than nothing because the private clinic downstairs my place also takes about a few hours.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 7:49 AM, Kb27 said:

I think it's bcuz being older citizens, they are mostly retired. And do not have the luxury of a company paying for medical fees.

So they go to the cheapest. Polyclinic is subsidized, esp, the medicine, you can see the price, compared to a private clinic.

I go there regularly for my diabetes treatment. Sometimes you see the price is ridiculously low, esp for common generic drugs like aspirin or anarex (panadol), metformin, it's like a few cents only. When I was working in a company, no one cares much about the money. Visit their authorized health care provider, and they charge 100s of dollars to the company.

That's true. My surprise is the very high demand by seniors (based on booking slots taken up within seconds!). I recall during COVID days when I went past this polyclinic on way to work, the queue of old folks went round the block every single morning. Of course you can't stop them visiting polyclinics as they surely have a need. Anyway, just keep ourselves healthy, invest in it so we won't need frequent visits in our retirement years. 

On 3/15/2023 at 8:26 AM, Fcw75 said:

Those normal health screening like blood, urine and stool test no need X-ray right? 

Health screening normally includes a chest xray.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, Kb27 said:

Recently, polyclinic give me a kit to check for colon cancer. It's free. But you need to stab your stool with a plastic thingy, do it twice, collect them and send for analysis.

It's a bit yucky for me, so I'm still hanging on. 😁

Can share this kangtao? [laugh]

Free? I kind of heard about it, but how to go about getting it from polyclinic?

On 3/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, 13177 said:

Stool test most health screening would have, even for those health screening at private clinic. You need to collect your stool and put it inside the bottle de, no one would do it for you. So everytime when i go for my health screening, need to go thru this yucky process, no choice. I have one colleague never submit his stool for this test cause he find it gross to take the stool sample. 😂

Scoop own shit nia…nothing one la.

Imagine the lab technician testing your sample and many others.

Or you clearing your elderly parents shit.

• Praise 2

On 3/17/2023 at 7:48 PM, Fcw75 said:

Scoop own shit nia…nothing one la.

Imagine the lab technician testing your sample and many others.

Or you clearing your elderly parents shit.

Agree.... And Diy test more palatable than having a scope up your alley. 

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

if u wake up in the wee hours feeling under the weather, can go poly early in morning (7+), take a number and be done before 9

• Praise 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:12 AM, TangoCharlie said:

Agree.... And Diy test more palatable than having a scope up your alley. 

Actually I go for regular colonoscopes cos my family has a history of colorectal cancer 

Personally I am not too sold on finding out if I got colon cancer early.  My dad discovered he had colon cancer and despite treatment, died within a year.  I was thinking if it was undiscovered, maybe he would also die within a year but not spend most of it in hospital.

• Sad 3

Turbocharged
On 3/15/2023 at 10:50 AM, 13177 said:

if using old fashioned squat toilet bowl is easy. The shit lands and stays there, can take your time poke all you want.

With sitting toilet bowls, you have to angle your shit, hit the side, hope no landslide, don't let it sink into your pee, turn and poke with some poo still maybe dangling in your ring, etc... if done well, its like performance art  :D 

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 3/18/2023 at 8:18 PM, Karoon said:

if using old fashioned squat toilet bowl is easy. The shit lands and stays there, can take your time poke all you want.

With sitting toilet bowls, you have to angle your shit, hit the side, hope no landslide, don't let it sink into your pee, turn and poke with some poo still maybe dangling in your ring, etc... if done well, its like performance art  :D 

When I did my health screening, the nurse told me to just pile on lots and lots of toilet paper in the toilet bowl so that the shit won't sink.  Then can easily get it 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Twincharged

Shit on newspapers like a dog la! 🤣

can always do it in the shower area. Then dump the rest away in a bag and tie it up well. 
what’s so yucky about clearing one’s own shit. 🤣

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Shit on newspapers like a dog la! 🤣

can always do it in the shower area. Then dump the rest away in a bag and tie it up well. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:47 PM, Loki said:

When I did my health screening, the nurse told me to just pile on lots and lots of toilet paper in the toilet bowl so that the shit won't sink.  Then can easily get it 

Yes

06BC9DC3-64EE-4DF7-8D1E-8F5B5F441978.jpeg

Keep it simple, Loki method is correct.

I guess some of you never had to clean your elderly parents shit.

Sitting toilet bowl indeed not easy to collect your stool, esp if your stool is dry and hard. Thats why i am amaze those people who can successfully collecr their stool when they do it on the day of their health screening at the clinic toilet. Esp those toilet bowl is full of water de. 😅

↡ Advertisement