Expectations of the Strawberry Gen!

RadX

In our time, we can find work happy liao. In the 80s recession, i remember graduates driving SBS

Gahmen gonna find it tough to manage expectations

Fresh grads expect higher salary, faster promotion: survey

SINGAPORE: A new survey shows recent graduates have higher wage expectations compared to previous years, and they also expect promotion by the second year of work.

Two-thirds (64 per cent) of recent graduates expect a monthly salary of at least S$3,000 for their first job, according to an annual survey by job portal JobsCentral.

Last year, the same survey reported only 55 per cent of respondents demanding more than S$3,000 per month for their first job.

The higher expectation is more apparent among the top students surveyed.

Three out of four (73.9 per cent) said they expect a monthly salary of more than S$3,000 from their employers.

Top students are defined as those who have attained or are expecting to get a degree with First Class Honours, Second Class Honours, Summa cum Laude or Magna cum Laude.

The survey - JobsCentral Employers of Choice Survey - also showed that the proportion of students who expect a monthly salary of more than S$3,000 has been increasing by approximately 10 per cent yearly.

And the proportion of top students who have this expectation are approximately 10 per cent more than the overall cohort.

A total of 2,213 respondents took part in the survey, which was conducted online from April to May this year.

The respondents are from Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore and Singapore Management University, from the graduating classes of 2010 to 2017.

Computing/IT majors have the highest salary expectation among those who were surveyed.

Close to 78 per cent of this group of respondents expects to earn more than S$3,000 per month.

Arts undergraduates and fresh graduates, on the other hand, have the lowest expectation, with 46.8 per cent expecting to earn more than S$3,000 per month.

"The low unemployment rate and inflationary environment in Singapore has brought about higher wage expectations across the country. So it is not surprising that the fresh graduate market has followed this trend. At the end of the day, it's a demand-and-supply equation with employers competing for a limited pool of local entry-level graduates," Lim Der Shing, CEO of JobsCentral Group, said.

Fresh graduates expect first promotion within first two years of work.

Three out of four (75.5 per cent) of those surveyed also expect their first promotion to occur within the first two years of their career.

22.6 per cent believe that they may be promoted by the first year of work, while 52.9 per cent expect to be promoted in their second year.

However, this percentage has actually been declining steadily over the last two years, and is in fact the lowest percentage since 2007.

In 2010, 81.3 per cent expressed this expectation, and in 2011, 76.2 per cent indicated this.

"Gen-Y graduates, place a lot of focus and importance on rapid career progression. In the past, most employers would expect three to four years of service before promoting an employee.

"One solution to this issue is for organisations to create clearer and more segmented career paths so that promotions can be obtained quickly. Such segmentation allows managers to give near-term goals and KPIs for their entry-level staff and such an employee has a promotion to aim for that is within his or her expected time frame," Lim said.

- CNA/ck

↡ Advertisement

In 80s, only two Universities and graduates can be bus drivers in hard times.

Now, there are so many Universities + some half baked private overseas universities and yet graduate want so much.

Haiz.... no wonder call strawberry gen, cannot tahan hardship, else nua liao.

In 80s, only two Universities and graduates can be bus drivers in hard times.

Now, there are so many Universities + some half baked private overseas universities and yet graduate want so much.

Haiz.... no wonder call strawberry gen, cannot tahan hardship, else nua liao.

Eyh you got your dream kopi machine yet?

3 years promo manager

5 years promo director

huat ah !!!

10 yrs, CEO...double huat [laugh]

Turbocharged

Blame the various career fair and big companies that paint a very rosy picture about working in their company.. Especially those on management trainee path.. not surprising within 5 yrs or so can get to project manager level..

Blame the various career fair and big companies that paint a very rosy picture about working in their company.. Especially those on management trainee path.. not surprising within 5 yrs or so can get to project manager level..

u thank your lucky stars...u indo boy..knn, silver spoon with dunno how many plots in SUMATRA..... <_< <_< nowonder so spoilt

[laugh] [laugh]

Hypersonic

Sometimes reality check is needed. Without that, the strawberries may crush and become strawberry jam.

Turbocharged

u thank your lucky stars...u indo boy..knn, silver spoon with dunno how many plots in SUMATRA..... <_< <_< nowonder so spoilt

[laugh] [laugh]

cb.. i don't have silver spoon hor.. i worked for my pocket money during poly and uni days..

But i do agree that my life has been pretty smooth sailing so far.. ^_^ so yes, i really need to thank my lucky stars..

cb.. i don't have silver spoon hor.. i worked for my pocket money during poly and uni days..

But i do agree that my life has been pretty smooth sailing so far.. ^_^ so yes, i really need to thank my lucky stars..

still dare say....WTF! Hope you appreciate what you have and the circumstances u are here...really! I can tell you that quite a few in TCSS seen rock bottom but still alive. Do thank your lucky stars....knn

die...MO sure cum here with Grandfadder story again [laugh] [laugh] ....if at all, i wan hear Cub's story!

Turbocharged

Sometimes reality check is needed. Without that, the strawberries may crush and become strawberry jam.

Actually, 3k is really the average starting pay for fresh uni grad.. at least for the past 3-4 yrs..

some finance sector jobs can offer up to 4-5k on the table for the cream of the crop..

oie.. in lots of company Project manager is just a glorified named for Planner nia hor.. on top still got Planner manager (which is the real manager) [smash]

↡ Advertisement