Jazzmeup Clutched October 13, 2013 Share October 13, 2013 Will test drive a few nine eleven tom...(smile) ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 13, 2013 Author Share October 13, 2013 Will test drive a few nine eleven tom...(smile) Ok post pic and update plse Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Viceroymenthol 6th Gear October 14, 2013 Share October 14, 2013 How about M3? Thats a car that i hv been thinking off as well. Am driving an Audi S5 quattro coupe 4.2L V8 now.... the thought of crossing over somewhat laterally, brand-wise, doesn't appeal to me, even though I know that the M3 is in a different league, and a much better handling, hardcore coupe than the S5. Plus now it is called the 4 series (M4). An M3 will look and sound dated a year from now. I must qualify at this point that I absolutely love BMWs but am tired of the Audi/BMW/Merc trio of brands that everyone else drives. Although Porsche getting more common, there are still fewer around compared to Audi/BMW/Merc. I am a brand-whore just like you, probably less so, since I am okay buying Audi (owned 2 already) but you are not. So want to try a "higher" brand. That's why I mentioned with a that the only Porsches I could realistically purchase with V8 engines would be the big Porsche cars. What a pity. There is something about the exhaust note of a V8 that the flat six cannot produce. Most boxer 6 Porsches sound terrible anyway My neighbours have 2 and I just cannot get my head around the horrible lao pok chia sound! It is not even a rich burble, it is a low-pitched kong-kong-kong sound that is very much like a WRX. Everything is great about the 911 except for the engine/exhaust sound. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 14, 2013 Author Share October 14, 2013 (edited) Am driving an Audi S5 quattro coupe 4.2L V8 now.... the thought of crossing over somewhat laterally, brand-wise, doesn't appeal to me, even though I know that the M3 is in a different league, and a much better handling, hardcore coupe than the S5. Plus now it is called the 4 series (M4). An M3 will look and sound dated a year from now. I must qualify at this point that I absolutely love BMWs but am tired of the Audi/BMW/Merc trio of brands that everyone else drives. Although Porsche getting more common, there are still fewer around compared to Audi/BMW/Merc. I am a brand-whore just like you, probably less so, since I am okay buying Audi (owned 2 already) but you are not. So want to try a "higher" brand. That's why I mentioned with a that the only Porsches I could realistically purchase with V8 engines would be the big Porsche cars. What a pity. There is something about the exhaust note of a V8 that the flat six cannot produce. Most boxer 6 Porsches sound terrible anyway My neighbours have 2 and I just cannot get my head around the horrible lao pok chia sound! It is not even a rich burble, it is a low-pitched kong-kong-kong sound that is very much like a WRX. Everything is great about the 911 except for the engine/exhaust sound. Thats very true, 911s sound pretty lao pok. Sibei Old school note.Even if you change the whole exhaust system it will still have that jalopy note hidden somewhere. Muayhahahaha! Cant fault you there. I am brand whore but i can handle a lot of simple mechanical repairs myself so at least i am not goodu brand whore. Honestly, i think i can accept driving a Honda or Hyundai. Old already, care less for such things... Edited October 14, 2013 by Throttle2 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Porker Turbocharged October 14, 2013 Share October 14, 2013 Am driving an Audi S5 quattro coupe 4.2L V8 now.... the thought of crossing over somewhat laterally, brand-wise, doesn't appeal to me, even though I know that the M3 is in a different league, and a much better handling, hardcore coupe than the S5. Plus now it is called the 4 series (M4). An M3 will look and sound dated a year from now. I must qualify at this point that I absolutely love BMWs but am tired of the Audi/BMW/Merc trio of brands that everyone else drives. Although Porsche getting more common, there are still fewer around compared to Audi/BMW/Merc. I am a brand-whore just like you, probably less so, since I am okay buying Audi (owned 2 already) but you are not. So want to try a "higher" brand. That's why I mentioned with a that the only Porsches I could realistically purchase with V8 engines would be the big Porsche cars. What a pity. There is something about the exhaust note of a V8 that the flat six cannot produce. Most boxer 6 Porsches sound terrible anyway My neighbours have 2 and I just cannot get my head around the horrible lao pok chia sound! It is not even a rich burble, it is a low-pitched kong-kong-kong sound that is very much like a WRX. Everything is great about the 911 except for the engine/exhaust sound. Ai race mai Vic. I give you 1 hour headstart for a race to KL 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Viceroymenthol 6th Gear October 14, 2013 Share October 14, 2013 I give you 1 hour head to KL No thanks Pork! You are not my type. Try your pals RadX, TurboFlat4, or Soya! LOL Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
macrosszero Turbocharged October 14, 2013 Share October 14, 2013 Am driving an Audi S5 quattro coupe 4.2L V8 now.... the thought of crossing over somewhat laterally, brand-wise, doesn't appeal to me, even though I know that the M3 is in a different league, and a much better handling, hardcore coupe than the S5. Plus now it is called the 4 series (M4). An M3 will look and sound dated a year from now. I must qualify at this point that I absolutely love BMWs but am tired of the Audi/BMW/Merc trio of brands that everyone else drives. Although Porsche getting more common, there are still fewer around compared to Audi/BMW/Merc. I am a brand-whore just like you, probably less so, since I am okay buying Audi (owned 2 already) but you are not. So want to try a "higher" brand. That's why I mentioned with a that the only Porsches I could realistically purchase with V8 engines would be the big Porsche cars. What a pity. There is something about the exhaust note of a V8 that the flat six cannot produce. Most boxer 6 Porsches sound terrible anyway My neighbours have 2 and I just cannot get my head around the horrible lao pok chia sound! It is not even a rich burble, it is a low-pitched kong-kong-kong sound that is very much like a WRX. Everything is great about the 911 except for the engine/exhaust sound. Back in the 1990s and 2000s, an S/RS Audi, M BMW, or AMG Mercedes Benz was actually something rare on the roads - nowadays there's so many of them its no longer quite as exclusive. Contrary to feeling and looking dated, this last M3 will join my personal classic club where standouts like the E46 M3 (last of the NA straight sixes), R34 Skyline GT-R (RB26DETT), etc. reside. Its a special little club where the car is more than the sum of its technology and parts. Each car represents the epitome of the development of its chassis and engine before CO2 emissions and other boring legislation nicked it out of existence in favour of something hybrid or diesel-powered. If you must have a V8 and desire an upgrade I think the options are pretty limited - offhand I can only think of Audi, Ferrari and Maserati. Nice dilemma to have though. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Porker Turbocharged October 15, 2013 Share October 15, 2013 Back in the 1990s and 2000s, an S/RS Audi, M BMW, or AMG Mercedes Benz was actually something rare on the roads - nowadays there's so many of them its no longer quite as exclusive. Contrary to feeling and looking dated, this last M3 will join my personal classic club where standouts like the E46 M3 (last of the NA straight sixes), R34 Skyline GT-R (RB26DETT), etc. reside. Its a special little club where the car is more than the sum of its technology and parts. Each car represents the epitome of the development of its chassis and engine before CO2 emissions and other boring legislation nicked it out of existence in favour of something hybrid or diesel-powered. If you must have a V8 and desire an upgrade I think the options are pretty limited - offhand I can only think of Audi, Ferrari and Maserati. Nice dilemma to have though. Don't leave out the Mclaren 12C. Sweet little car there. Very interested in it but the price is simply staggering! Looks are questionable compared to it's Italian peers though. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
macrosszero Turbocharged October 15, 2013 Share October 15, 2013 Don't leave out the Mclaren 12C. Sweet little car there. Very interested in it but the price is simply staggering! Looks are questionable compared to it's Italian peers though. Oh yes, I forget the Brits - MP4-12C looks special but reports suggest it drives less so, but it also means Jaguars and Astons come into play. And I really like the shape of the Aston Martin... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 16, 2013 Author Share October 16, 2013 Ahem, Porsche thread so leave the rest out plse. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 16, 2013 Author Share October 16, 2013 Woooohoooo Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ididbobe Neutral Newbie October 16, 2013 Share October 16, 2013 Hey there, I've been a silent 'lurker' on Porky forums like this for awhile. Unlike my more fortunate bros here I ain't got enough moolah to even dream of getting a 911.......until I chanced upon this ad today. http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=368399&DL=1000 Anyone got any opinion on whether I ought to spend all my hard earned savings on this? Reading this forum, seems like early 996s in 1999 all have the IMS / RMS failures etc and it would suck if I spent all my money getting this but can't afford the repairs/upkeep ;) Tks for any advice. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pusiwagon 2nd Gear October 16, 2013 Share October 16, 2013 Vic, i agree that the sound of a V8 is intoxicating and all but driving a 911, for me the 997.2 Turbo, beats driving the S5 and even theF10 M5 4.4 V8 hands down. How would I know? I have actually owned and driven these cars over the last 3 years. Take it from me, sound is not everything! 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 17, 2013 Author Share October 17, 2013 (edited) Hey there, I've been a silent 'lurker' on Porky forums like this for awhile. Unlike my more fortunate bros here I ain't got enough moolah to even dream of getting a 911.......until I chanced upon this ad today. http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=368399&DL=1000 Anyone got any opinion on whether I ought to spend all my hard earned savings on this? Reading this forum, seems like early 996s in 1999 all have the IMS / RMS failures etc and it would suck if I spent all my money getting this but can't afford the repairs/upkeep ;) Tks for any advice. By now if they are still on the roads, chances are they are fine or they hv been fixed.I dont think the failure is as high as people proclaim and its not as if its "unfixable" However if you are spending all your money just to buy a 911, you definitely cant afford the maintenance. Petrol is at least double of you usual 2liter car, roaf tax is triple of your usual 2liter car and engine oil is double that of your usual 2liter car. Many people can buy the 911 but cant maintain it. Dont kill yourself for a car. No point. Vic, i agree that the sound of a V8 is intoxicating and all but driving a 911, for me the 997.2 Turbo, beats driving the S5 and even theF10 M5 4.4 V8 hands down. How would I know? I have actually owned and driven these cars over the last 3 years. Take it from me, sound is not everything! 911 Turbo, I also want leh, but cant bear to...... Sigh.. Edited October 17, 2013 by Throttle2 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
macrosszero Turbocharged October 17, 2013 Share October 17, 2013 The problem was serious enough that there is a class action suit going on about it although it is limited to the 2001-2005 model year 911 and Boxsters. There would have to have been enough blood in the water for those lawyers to bite. That being said, the C4 in that link is a 1999 and not part of the high risk group. Oh yes, don't forget insurance. That one is surer pain than any potential wear and tear issue with the car - you *will* get it every year. 1 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ididbobe Neutral Newbie October 17, 2013 Share October 17, 2013 Thanks Throttle 2 and Mac, Its good to know that the 99 996 is not in the "high risk" category for IMS/RMS catastrophic failures. Noted your point on being able to afford the maintenance.... Throttle, given your estimated cost increase over the normal 2 litre car, how much are we looking at approximately in a year for maintenance etc? Is it in the range of 3-4K or 6-8K? Thanks again!! Am tempted because getting old and you only live once and all that....:0 Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Viceroymenthol 6th Gear October 17, 2013 Share October 17, 2013 (edited) Vic, i agree that the sound of a V8 is intoxicating and all but driving a 911, for me the 997.2 Turbo, beats driving the S5 and even theF10 M5 4.4 V8 hands down. How would I know? I have actually owned and driven these cars over the last 3 years. Take it from me, sound is not everything! 911 turbo is in the Ferrari (parallel import) price bracket lah bro.... not fair lah.. hehe Edited October 17, 2013 by Viceroymenthol Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Throttle2 Supersonic October 17, 2013 Author Share October 17, 2013 The problem was serious enough that there is a class action suit going on about it although it is limited to the 2001-2005 model year 911 and Boxsters. There would have to have been enough blood in the water for those lawyers to bite. That being said, the C4 in that link is a 1999 and not part of the high risk group. Oh yes, don't forget insurance. That one is surer pain than any potential wear and tear issue with the car - you *will* get it every year. Aiyoh, in the US of A? Every mother, son, daughter thing also can go class act lah. Its the land of the free and home of the brave mah....hoho. ↡ Advertisement Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In NowRelated Discussions
Related Discussions
2021 New Porsche 911 GT3 is Literally a Race Car with a Number Plate
2021 New Porsche 911 GT3 is Literally a Race Car with a Number Plate
2025 Porsche Macan Electric Prototype First Drive Review: Shockwave Successor
2025 Porsche Macan Electric Prototype First Drive Review: Shockwave Successor
Porsche Says EVs Would Be Worse With Fake Gear Changes
Porsche Says EVs Would Be Worse With Fake Gear Changes
Porsche Taycan
Porsche Taycan
The First Hybrid Porsche 911 Debuts on May 28
The First Hybrid Porsche 911 Debuts on May 28
sgCarMart Reviews: Audi A6 Sedan Mild Hybrid 2.0 TFSI S tronic Design
sgCarMart Reviews: Audi A6 Sedan Mild Hybrid 2.0 TFSI S tronic Design
Visiting Porsche Experience Centre Tokyo 🛞
Visiting Porsche Experience Centre Tokyo 🛞